VTRacing's Rallying thread

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: VTRacing's Rallying thread

Post by ysu »

well done mate, great result!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

I just wanted to revive this briefly to show a video I made for (my own) interest's sake.

I noticed that the winner of this year's Border Ranges Rally set a very similar time on a stage that we'd run back in 2014, so I thought I would compare how our stages went. The winner this year was Peter Roberts, who is a well-respected state competitor. He mostly runs in NSW, but runs the odd Qld-based round.

I wanted to see whether his car had any advantages to mine. I suspected it would be faster in a straight line, since he runs an Evo 6 which is roughly 200kg lighter, running E85 fuel for more power, and with a sequential gearbox having an extra gear. His car also runs a larger restrictor, and Mitsubishis generally make more power than Subarus.

My car should handle better, with more sophisticated diffs, and I probably had better tyres.

Road conditions are obviously different, my run was a bit damp (not a bad thing on gravel), and his road looks a bit better swept.

Anyway, here's the video:

Unfortunately my incar audio wasn't working for this event, so we only have Roberts's notes. You can hear a whine from my car when it's on throttle (that'd be me lamenting Group N).

A few things of interest that I picked up:
I lost a few seconds in the opening section, mainly due to a few scruffy corners from me, but also with the power difference in the cars.
At 2:30 as we pass a big tree and I'm about 2 seconds down, but in the next corner I make up all that time, so that by the next big tree at 2:45 we're dead even again.
So from that I reckon my notes are much better than his, in that I stay in top gear while Peter drops back two gears and carries less speed onto the next straight.
We're even until about 3:50, where again I'm more committed to the mid-grade corners, especially before tight corners.
I pull out a few seconds in the twisty bits, but then lose it heading up the hill at around 4:45. I was a bit scruffy through there and didn't keep the speed up.
We're even until 5:30, but I went down to 2nd gear when I really should have been in 3rd through a junction left, and didn't get a good exit.
Through the next open section I lose a second or so, but by 6:30 at the bridge we're even again. I must have been a bit quicker through the preceding fast corners.
At 6:50 I miss the shift to 5th, and it instantly costs me about a second.
At 7:25, I'm a bit cautious on the tarmac because it's wet. Another second.
I cross the finish about 1.5 seconds down.

Anyway, I did this for my own amusement, but I felt like telling someone. :)
:teach:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

'och eye, leets ave a leetle luke and kumpare. As ya cun see, when a stup the videa, the airjun guy is a wee bit behind, no-iss the tdee on that luft...'

#TeamVT
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

w00dsy wrote:'och eye, leets ave a leetle luke and kumpare. As ya cun see, when a stup the videa, the airjun guy is a wee bit behind, no-iss the tdee on that luft...'

#TeamVT
Lol.

Clever lad.
:teach: