General F1 news

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Muppet

Re: General F1 news

Post by Muppet »

Riccardo won't be going to Ferrari next year, Kimi has already signed a contract thanks to Seb making it a part of his contract extension. Another year at Red Bull I think for Dani and then to Fezza maybe in 2019 after Red Bull sells out.

Also, with those vehicles in the video, does anyone else think that John Bowe probably owned all those cards lol
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Kvyat has now been dropped for the rest of the season so I think it's game over for him at Toro.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Kvyat never recovered from upsetting Vettel did he. From the moment he was moved to Torro Rosso it always seemed there were additional conditions to make sure he was miserable.

Yes Danil, you can drive this weekend but only on the condition that the team will refer to you as "cockface", and your water bottle will be half bull semen.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Fernando Alonso will make his Daytona 24 Hour debut in 2018, having secured a deal with United Autosports for the big American race on January 27th.
Zak Brown, Executive Director of McLaren Technology Group, and owner of United Autosports was understandably pleased to confirm one of the biggest racing drivers in the world to his endurance team:
"One thing led to another, I’m not exactly sure who initiated the conversation, but the 24 Hours of Daytona cropped up". “As Fernando does, he kinda chats about things, doesn’t really tell you what he’s thinking and then, out of the blue, he goes: ‘I wanna do it.’ That is exactly what happened.”​
Brown added: “We were in Singapore, and obviously got our F1 deal done, and as soon as we mentally crossed the bridge of getting that sealed, it wasn’t two minutes later before he said, ‘I wanna do Daytona.’ It was really all his decision, you’re not going to talk him into doing something, he decides everything on his own.

Alonso is widely known to be keen to try and secure the holy grain of motorsport achievements, the Triple Crown of Monaco Grand Prix, Le Mans 24 Hours and Indy 500 victories, and the move towards making his debut in long distance endurance racing as a preparation for an assault on the French 24 Hour classic.
“As I spend more time around him, it’s amazing to see the amount of research he does" Said Brown. "He thinks things through, and clearly wants to win Daytona as part of his quest to win Le Mans. "And when you look at United’s line-up – we’ve got some pretty cool drivers in our cars, including Paul di Resta and Lando. "The aim is definitely to go there with the intention of trying to win Daytona – otherwise Fernando wouldn’t wanna do it!”
“I think it’s going to be the toughest 24 Hours of Daytona in modern history, based on the quality of the teams and drivers on the entry... “A couple of Penskes, a couple of Joests, Wayne Taylor, Action Express, ESM, Rebellion – going through the list there’s likely 12 cars in with a shot of pole, never mind winning the race. So we’re going to bring our A-game, and it’s going to be awesome".

For his part Zak Brown is building up quite a formidable team with the United Autosports Ligier JS P217, driving alongside McLaren Formula One junior driver Lando Norris and young prospect Phil Hanson, forming one side of the two car garage alongside Paul di Resta, Will Owen and another yet-to-be-announced driver in the second car.
Both Alonso and United Autosports are aiming high for Daytona, with nothing less than a victory the target for a team very much on the up in the sportscar racing scene.
“We did Le Mans this year, finished fourth in class, and fifth overall. Fortunately the P2s are the top class at Daytona [with the DPi category based around them] and I don’t think Fernando would want to drive anything other than the top class car, to go for the overall win.”​

One thing is for sure, with Alonso adding yet more of a spotlight on one of the best racing events in the whole world the eyes of the motorsport community will be firmly targeted on the US this coming January 26th - 27th.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Bernie says: Ferrari International Assistance was actually a thing.

From an interview with an Italian news paper.

"Helping Ferrari has always been the smartest thing to do. It was always done through the technical regulations."

"The teams are important to F1, but Ferrari is the most."

"Max (Mosley) has often helped Ferrari, and I too wanted them to win."
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

No teams should be supported artificially but they are right, Ferrari is the most important team in F1 by a country mile!
eek
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

It doesn't speak well for them that they've done so poorly so often then, does it.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Ferrari are a team of great tradition. And traditionally they're crap.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

And here they go again beating their chest...

Ferrari issues fresh F1 quit warning, questions Liberty's plans

I have never really liked Marchionne, he always seemed like a bloke who is ready to stick the knife in his employees backs at any given chance.
Marchionne added he would feel "like a million bucks" about being the chief who took Ferrari out of F1.
:eyepop: You would get lynched in Itally for talking like that.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

First time I don’t have a problem with what Ferrari said. Gee this is a weird feeling ha.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

"One is the fact that somehow powertrain uniqueness is not going to be one of the drivers of distinctiveness of the participants' line-up.
"I would not countenance this going forward."

Is it just me or is that hard to understand?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I personally don’t trust a word that comes out of that irrelevant tossers mouth (Bernie). I wouldn’t mind betting he’s trying to stir the pot to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

w00dsy wrote:"One is the fact that somehow powertrain uniqueness is not going to be one of the drivers of distinctiveness of the participants' line-up.
"I would not countenance this going forward."

Is it just me or is that hard to understand?
He's been learning how to speak Ron Dennis.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Felipe Massa is to retire from Formula 1 at the end of this season.

The Brazilian intended to quit F1 at the end of 2016 but returned to Williams after Valtteri Bottas moved to Mercedes following the retirement of world champion Nico Rosberg.

Massa, who has won 11 grands prix, says this time his decision is final.

The 36-year-old's decision was influenced by the fact he wanted certainty on his future before his home grand prix next weekend.
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

He just wants another send off
Minister for Religious Genocide.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Big Kev wrote:Felipe Massa is to retire from Formula 1 at the end of this season.

The Brazilian intended to quit F1 at the end of 2016 but returned to Williams after Valtteri Bottas moved to Mercedes following the retirement of world champion Nico Rosberg.

Massa, who has won 11 grands prix, says this time his decision is final.

The 36-year-old's decision was influenced by the fact he wanted certainty on his future before his home grand prix next weekend.
I think they should make this an annual event.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Interesting read about McLaren's extra brake pedal in the 90's
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside- ... l-3153421/
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Not really F1 news but I thought norbs might enjoy seeing Lewis copping some flak over his tax shenanigans:

Paradise Papers: F1 champion Lewis Hamilton 'dodged' VAT on £16.5m private jet
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41886607
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Would he personally have dodged it? I have no idea how the rich and famous purchase stuff, but I would have thought he’d have someone to handle that for him. Not that it makes him any less liable, but I’d be kind of surprised if he was bright enough to tax dodge lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

He lives in Geneva so avoiding tax is part of the deal.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Yeah I agree. I doubt he does his own accounting so the problem is that a) it's legal and b) somebody advised him to do it.

He is one of several big names caught up in the Paradise Papers story that's running here at the moment.

Compared to Apple's tax dodging, Lewis isn't in the same league.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

It's very clever and devious stuff really. You own a company that owns a company that owns a company that buys a plane that then leases it back to you as the sole user. As it's a company asset you're not liable for personal tax on the purchase cos you didn't buy it!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Toro Rosso have confirmed Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley will be their drivers for 2018.

The announcement leaves just Sauber and Williams to name their line-up for next season.
My Flickr Stream
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Thats great news for Brendon.

Anyone know if he is still on for the Indy Car gig next year as well?
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.