General F1 news

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Muppet

Re: General F1 news

Post by Muppet »

I'm all for safety, my previous post wasn't to say the screen isn't necessary, but if it truly is a safety issue, why has it taken so bloody long. We don't need drivers dying from things that could have been prevented. Everyone is right though, nothing will make them 100% safe. I'm just not convinced the screen would have prevented any of the incidents mentioned so far.

As for Kimi, who better to replace him with? The best option on the grid would be Dani Ric. Who else that wouldn't be tied to a contract already who is better than Kimi?

It's not like Kimi hasn't had his issues with the car either, you're all being a tad harsh on him I think.

Unless they can get a top line driver who is better than Kimi, I don't think they'll replace him.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Muppet wrote:As for Kimi, who better to replace him with?
Charles Leclerc
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I hope Leclerc lives up to the name... being a tank :D

Minister for Religious Genocide.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Ferrari don't have a history of bringing in noobs though. I think Grosjean (otherwise Haas being their Toro Rosso feeder team is a bit pointless), maybe Perez, or Sainz.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

norbs wrote:Havent the crowd signed their lives away anyway? :)
Yeah, legally, if you buy a ticket or sign a waiver at a motorsport event, we can run you over with no legal repercussions, like spectators getting hit at rallies, as long as we provide a safe spectator point, then we're in the "clear".
That being said, every time in an international event where a competitor has a monetary penalty, the money goes into the local governing body. CAMS is sitting on around $10 million as a precaution for "the big accident" where more than 2-3 people get killed and they get sued.

You could sign your life away at a race and get killed, but there's still some chance of the organizer getting sued if the family can prove that the organizer was at fault.

On the other note, canopies. If you're going to list head trauma in F1 then add Alan Stacey (1960), Chris Bristow (1960), Francois Cevert (1973) and Helmuth Koinigg (1974) to people who died from head-related (or head removing) injuries and all except Stacey would have survived their crashes if the tracks were safer, open roofs or not, and in the case of Koiningg, if the Watkins Glen organizers had actually fixed the guard rail that killed Cevert the previous year.

A lot of driver deaths came from bad tracks and manufacturers doing stupid shit with cars, or like Bristow, being a rookie driver in an F1 car. When you look at the deaths from 1950-Current then racing has become incredibly safe.
At what point do you make racing totally safe?
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

And the counterpoint would be: How many fatalities are acceptable?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Fatalities on live TV don't help the sport.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

w00dsy wrote:Fatalities on live TV don't help the sport.
That! It's horrible to watch. I wont ever forget Marco Simoncelli's accident :(

Yeah it's bike racing but not a good look for TV even though it's a freak thing to happen.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Cursed wrote:And the counterpoint would be: How many fatalities are acceptable?
The simplest question to answer, zero.

No one wants to see, hear of or watch drivers die.

Doc's right it is horrible to watch, I still remember seeing Senna and can clearly remember the shock I felt on the day.

The golden years of F1 were just insane for the risks on the drivers. I can barely comprehend how they do it now, even with all the safety, can't turn my brain off to the danger it must have been like in the early days.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Bails MacKenzie wrote:
norbs wrote:Havent the crowd signed their lives away anyway? :)
Yeah, legally, if you buy a ticket or sign a waiver at a motorsport event, we can run you over with no legal repercussions, like spectators getting hit at rallies, as long as we provide a safe spectator point, then we're in the "clear".
That being said, every time in an international event where a competitor has a monetary penalty, the money goes into the local governing body. CAMS is sitting on around $10 million as a precaution for "the big accident" where more than 2-3 people get killed and they get sued.

You could sign your life away at a race and get killed, but there's still some chance of the organizer getting sued if the family can prove that the organizer was at fault.

On the other note, canopies. If you're going to list head trauma in F1 then add Alan Stacey (1960), Chris Bristow (1960), Francois Cevert (1973) and Helmuth Koinigg (1974) to people who died from head-related (or head removing) injuries and all except Stacey would have survived their crashes if the tracks were safer, open roofs or not, and in the case of Koiningg, if the Watkins Glen organizers had actually fixed the guard rail that killed Cevert the previous year.

A lot of driver deaths came from bad tracks and manufacturers doing stupid shit with cars, or like Bristow, being a rookie driver in an F1 car. When you look at the deaths from 1950-Current then racing has become incredibly safe.
At what point do you make racing totally safe?
Interestingly, its not as black and white in Australia.

In most places around the world, yes, on the ticket it says that by using the ticket you agree that you may suffer death or injury and hold the organisers blameless. But, in Australia the law says you can not sign away your rights. So, even though the ticket says the same thing in Australia if you (or your remaining family) can prove negligence or incompetence on behalf of the organiser, their staff, or their suppliers then you can sue them for damages.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The danger of the sport is appealing to everyone. We all love a good fright. The screen is a good idea but make the cars difficult to drive.

But freak accidents will always happen and we can't prevent that. No one should die but it should scare 9 shades of shit out of them.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Seems to be a growing rumour today that the Sauber - Honda deal could be in trouble. It was provisionally signed with Kaltenbourne but now she's gone that might not be on the cards any more. They could be out completely if they don't seal this and McLaren walk away too.
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I wouldn't mind betting that Mclaren parting from Honda (which I can't see not happening and prob already has) is enough for Honda to leave F1. I can see them supplying Sauber as well as Mclaren, but not Sauber alone I wouldn't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Supplying Sauber on their own would be much lower profile for them and might be better in terms of PR impact when it doesn't work. It would also allow them to get a Honda young driver in to the team. The tricky bit is getting it to work! If it did, Sauber could be a top 10 team before they know it but at the moment Honda are a walking disaster. They might take it as an opportunity to just get out before they waste any more money and credibility.
My Flickr Stream
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Stories coming out that Honda has shit canned the Sauber deal.

McLaren to Mercedes and Honda to disappear

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Big things for old sambo!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Legend!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

As if this isn't a perfect role for Sam. He's so outgoing and friendly and full of personality.

Go son!
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Awesome, I was only just thinking the other say what our Sambo was up to these days.

Anyone know if he's still a practicing race car driver this year?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Vilante wrote:As if this isn't a perfect role for Sam. He's so outgoing and friendly and full of personality.

Go son!

If there's one thing he does better than driving it's talking.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:
Vilante wrote:As if this isn't a perfect role for Sam. He's so outgoing and friendly and full of personality.

Go son!

If there's one thing he does better than driving it's talking.
With a mouth full of marbles underwater!

How long until he is doing the pit walk. The GP would be held up for 3 hours. :)

Go Sambo.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

We are getting an ARSE into the world of F1...

w00dsy

Re: RE: Re: General F1 news

Post by w00dsy »

Dr. Pain wrote:We are getting an ARSE into the world of F1...
Spreading our arse
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Does anyone have a link to the show?
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Which, the arse spreading show? :D