General F1 news

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: General F1 news

Post by Duke »

For me the series that should be progressing with a cockpit / driver protection safety system is not.
But then again they are getting it right on so many levels with their 2018 body refresh, Champ Car is back. Pretty!!! :nod:

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Montey wrote:The main issue I have with the halo is the stupid pillar down the centre-line. Why not put two pillars off to the sides, leaving the driver's view forward unobscured? You could even use side pillars to mount the mirrors, improving rear and side visibility.
My guess is that then there's nothing at all in front of the driver to potentially stop a spring. But of course that spring has only happened once in 70 years and the odds of an object hitting that little pillar is statistically slim.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Please don't post that junk in the F1 thread Duke. CART was a million times better than whatever the hell it's called these days.

:smackbum:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Montey wrote:The main issue I have with the halo is the stupid pillar down the centre-line. Why not put two pillars off to the sides, leaving the driver's view forward unobscured? You could even use side pillars to mount the mirrors, improving rear and side visibility.
I think you'd be very surprised how often the drivers are actually looking straight ahead. Having anything on the sides would mess them up even more as they look into the corner. I think I remember hearing Brundle say this during commentary for one of the races this year.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Not that they see much a head anyway. But the drivers have said that forward vision isn't too much of a hassle with the halo.

Muppet

Post by Muppet »

That's nuts, I couldn't see anything of the corners or apex's from that view!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'm not sure I believe it. I know it's probably set at the right height, but I can't imagine it's what a driver actually sees. Half the time the camera is angled down. You might move your head down but you can still fix your eyes on a corner/apex. And of course, you can compensate for vibration and bumps and a camera can't as easily. I just find it hard to believe a driver would be able to drive properly unless they can see. Even turning the wheel in that view completely obscures the track/corner.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

He had the camera in front of his eyes and he found it hard to drive.

And other view from a lower formula

The thing to remember is wind will force the helmet down. The camera cant adjust for that so it will look down.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah I think there are a whole lot of 'problems' with just sticking a camera at eye level and expecting it to be a representation of what a driver sees.

For example, this image is pretty much the view for the entire straight. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would travel in a car at over 200km/h with absolutely zero visibility.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

This is a pic from the Hulks car when Sky did a piece on where the drivers look when cornering. I think it would be similar most of the lap until the forces jam you into the seat.

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Speaking of Hulk.

Here is a pic of his Cock-Pit from a show run recently
https://wtf1.com/post/hulkenberg-puts-p ... -show-run/
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah how good is that haha
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Honda has changed the way it evaluates developments for its Formula 1 engine, according to its project leader Yusuke Hasegawa.

The Japanese manufacturer has had a frustrating first half to its third season in F1, with poor reliability and a lack of power threatening its future with McLaren.

Last month, Hasegawa said Honda struggled with correlation between the dyno and the track but now says it has changed its approach with less reliance on dyno results to prove a specification.

"We are changing our way of development," he told Motorsport.com. "We're not too much insisting on mono-cylinder [dyno] development.

"We can check factors or elements or many concepts with the mono-cylinder [block] but we now understand we need to check with the V6 to finalise our specification.

"So we are no longer relying too much on the mono-cylinder results. As a reference, the mono cylinder test is important but to find the performance, we need to check the V6 results."
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Ferrari have extended former world champion Kimi Raikkonen's contract until the end of the 2018 season.
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Stoffel Vandoorne will stay with McLaren for a second season in Formula 1 in 2018, the team have announced.
My Flickr Stream
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

So basically Alonso and Bottas are the last two of the big guys left for 2018?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I really like Kimi but I'm not sure why they don't let him go. I guess he plays the role of rear gunner pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

DexterPunk wrote:I really like Kimi but I'm not sure why they don't let him go. I guess he plays the role of rear gunner pretty well.
I reckon they're just kicking the can down the road while they wait for someone else's contract in another team to expire.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I think Hamilton's contract runs to 2018 so all of the other drivers are doing 1 year extensions to get to 2018 as Hamilton's decision will start a massive merrygoround if he moves.
My Flickr Stream
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

26 Aug 2017
Maranello (Italy) – Scuderia Ferrari has extended its technical and racing agreement with driver Sebastian Vettel for the 2018, 2019 and 2020 racing seasons of the Formula One World Championship.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

General F1 news

Post by DexterPunk »

Cursed wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:I really like Kimi but I'm not sure why they don't let him go. I guess he plays the role of rear gunner pretty well.
I reckon they're just kicking the can down the road while they wait for someone else's contract in another team to expire.
Yeah you're probably right. I'm just a little surprised they didn't steal one of the RBR drivers for 2018, or even given Leclerc the nod. Ricciardo at Ferrari always made sense to me. Although I think his personality is definitely a great fit for red bulls brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Honda have fucked this up big time and even though a spilt will be costly, if the chassis is as good as they say then they'd be chasing Redbull.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I think it's a mistake, why leave an exclusive deal for a customer deal that will in all likelihood only continue to produce mid-field results at best.
They've come this far & Honda has made steady progress albeit very slowly but Renault is far from a stellar power-plant so surely another year is worth the risk.
I can't help but think at some point very soon Honda will crack the mystery or at the worst leave on their own account like Toyota did.
If I were McLaren I would let Nando take "gardeners" leave next year & let him experiment with other bucket list items he wants to do, like Indy & LeMans.

Either way I'll cry for Nando if Honda do get it right, especially if he was to miss out on the rewards of all the hard-work & difficult times they have endured. But then again he is laying in the bed of his own making... :(
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."