General F1 news

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: General F1 news

Post by w00dsy »

I kind of agree Duke. They are going to lose a lot of their income from Honda, plus have to pay 20mill for an average at best engine. I'd give it a second year with the new spec engine to see if it all came together. Likewise if I was Red Bull I'd try and get a Honda deal for Torro Rosso just in case they do get it right then they can move into the main team and it'd be a proper engine manufacturer deal.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

F2 2018 car. Complete with halo

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Why give Honda more time? Both Mercedes and Ferrari had engines that worked by the start of 2014 and they've kept improving them. Yes they did a lot of work behind the scenes but they were going by 2014. Honda started later and had the stupid token system to deal with but they seem to be not even at the point where the other two started at in 2014.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Honda said their spec 3.5 engine is now at the point they expected to be at at the start of the season. They can't even keep up now they're free of tokens and have all the time in the world to get it right! Has to go down as one of the worst PR disasters in F1 history.

But I can see some merit in Red Bull encouraging Honda to go to Toro Rosso because it allows them to see if Honda are a better bet for 2019/20 instead of Renault and then Red Bull would be in the position McLaren hoped to be in with an exclusive engine deal and a winning combination.
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

You have to feel for Alonso. He stuck with Ferrari beginning each year thinking it would be their year, and it wasn't. And as soon as he left, they sorted themselves out and are genuine contenders. Now he has to decide whether to jump ship again, only to find McLaren sort out a new engine deal and turn it around, or stick it out and risk further "embarrassing" overtakes.

On the plus side, it's quite amusing seeing him in this position. He's produced some classic F1 moments. :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah I do feel sorry for the guy. It just feels like such a waste. I'd love to see him fighting for podiums like he should be.

I see it said often that he's only himself to blame, chasing a team that could get him championships etc and it's backfired. But isn't that really what everyone out there does? All the drivers are fighting to improve their seat. It was a bit of a roll of the dice going to Mclaren with the new Honda engine, but I thought at the time it could have been a genius move. It wasn't, but you can see why he did it. I never thought Honda would suck this much for this long. I wouldn't blame him if he moved on to Indycar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yeah I think the big problem with the McLaren Honda deal is that everyone assumed they would get it right after perhaps a sticky first year or so and that just hasn't happened. If they did get it right he would have been laughing. Exclusive engine deal, team that's happy to pay him, number 1 driver, the whole lot. All the blame has to lie at Honda's door. All of the other teams managed to get up to speed in less than a year when the new rules came in. I even remember the very first race everyone saying only a couple of cars would finish after lots of breakdowns in testing and actually only a couple retired. Honda have some serious issues with being able to deliver the goods and I can't really see anyone else wanting their engines. Hell even Sauber didn't want them!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hahahaha! Van Der Garde is a legend. If only we had less restrictions on social media / liberty running the show when he was racing.

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

McLaren have to take some of the blame for the first 2 years because they insisted Honda go with the size zero concept. Once they realised that idea was limited they've now finally got a more conventional layout.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

w00dsy wrote:McLaren have to take some of the blame for the first 2 years because they insisted Honda go with the size zero concept. Once they realised that idea was limited they've now finally got a more conventional layout.
Yes, but I reckon that they need to push that it's all Honda's fault for the sake of keeping fans and sponsors.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

It could just as easily been Hamilton in that situation if Mercedes had turned out to be a dud. I don't think you can give the drivers too much credit or blame for making the right or wrong choices. I doubt many of them really know what the team and car will be like when they make their decision unless they (or their agent) do a load of research into the business/infrastructure/personnel/strategy.

Until the moment a car starts delivering the results on track, there's just no reliable way of predicting how they'll go.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Sky saying the McLaren-Honda partnership is over for next year and could be announced tomorrow.
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Renault? I heard Horner saying only a couple of weeks ago that Renault don't have the resources to supply another team.

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

It'll be in place of Torro Rosso most likely.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Torro Rosso to get Honda?

That could be good for RBR if they ever come good.

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Expecting Honda to be on the phone to girlfriends tomorrow blubbing "He's left me for another woman!"
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I think the plan is Toro Rosso get Honda and McLaren get the Toro Renault engines. This allows Red Bull a 'get out' for their Renault contract if Honda come good and they'll have a direct route to an exclusive engine deal which will get them back to winning ways.

Personally I'm beginning to think McLaren should stick at it and let Alonso go. The Honda is getting better, very very slowly but I'd take an exclusive engine deal any time. With a Renault engine I'm no so sure they're going to be knocking on the door of wins yet as Renault don't seem to be putting vast resources in to their engine and that means Alonso will be just as miserable, just a couple of places further up the grid. They've already said this year they're only doing software updates for the rest of the season. Maybe that's why Red Bull are helping facilitate the Toro-Honda deal.
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They need to ditch Honda as this is embarrassing at the ease they are getting passed
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah an exclusive engine deal is worth a hell of a lot if it eventually comes good

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

The way Zak Brown was talking on Sky it sounds like a done deal for Renault next year. Just needs a few final agreements. I doubt Toro are happy but they'll get a bundle of money and one of the drivers will probably have to go for a Honda backed one but I doubt anyone will miss Kyvat!! If that is the way it's going I wouldn't be surprised if Red Bull haven't thrown a bit of money in too and some expertise from their current Ilmor collaboration.
My Flickr Stream
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Just when you thought Bernie had ALL the crackpot ideas...

Todt wrote:I’ve heard an idea I like: we should give the championship leader a halo in a special color,” said Todt to Auto Motor und Sport.
F1 could use Halo to show who is leading the championship
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/09/04/h ... ship-todt/

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Fastest one to the top of Eau Rouge gets a white and pink polkadot halo.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Todt wrote:I’ve heard an idea I like: we should give the championship leader a halo in a special color,” said Todt to Auto Motor und Sport.
What a thinly veiled way to change the discussion. From should we have it to what we can make it do :shake:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Porsche's financial chief has confirmed that the Stuttgart manufacturer is seriously considering a return to Formula 1 as an engine supplier under the proposed 2021 regulations.
My Flickr Stream