General F1 news

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: General F1 news

Post by Big Kev »

As the feminists have ironically cost the independent career minded grid girls their jobs, now we have free labour with grid kids! :)

Formula 1 is to replace 'grid girls' with a new programme called 'grid kids' this season.
F1 bosses plan to use budding racing drivers "to make the pre-race ceremony more relevant and interesting for fans, especially the younger ones".
The children used will be competitors in karting or junior categories, chosen by national motorsport authorities.
A joint statement from governing body the FIA and the F1 Group said the choice would be made "on merit or by lottery".
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Much better idea! Great stuff.
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It’s a shame how much negativity and criticism the decision to move away from grid girls has received. They are literally there as nothing but eye candy, and I can’t see that being a good message for young girls, or young guys for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

If you listen to the actual grid girls there is far more to the job than just standing on the grid looking pretty, there is nothing progressive about banning them, it's feminism and political correctness gone mad. I wonder if they will still be allowed to do their promotional activities at the races like they've always done and just not be allowed on the actual grid.

I don't think these grid kids is such a bad idea but the cynic in me see it as possibly a calculated move to head off any future criticism. Now if you object to the grid girl ban you can not only be incorrectly cast as sexist but also somehow against kids.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

If you don't want the activity to appear as a sexist one, stop making it look like one. Remove the requirement for young & female & attractive & sexually provocative outfit from the job and then you might convince me that this is actually not exploitative.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

DexterPunk wrote:They are literally there as nothing but eye candy

There was a post on reddit (which I won't bother to find) pointing out just how wrong you (and everyone else who thought they were simple eye candy) are.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Without a link, that statement is pretty useless.

I have been to quite a few F1 races and haven’t seen their job to be much more than to look hot and have their photos taken with fans.

richo

Post by richo »

DexterPunk wrote:Without a link, that statement is pretty useless.

I have been to quite a few F1 races and haven’t seen their job to be much more than to look hot and have their photos taken with fans.

That sounds exactly like the job description of most of today's top 40 type "artists".
[]D [] []v[] []D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Haha!

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

https://inews.co.uk/sport/formula-one/m ... ng-pretty/
F1 is just one weekend of the year. While some women do promotional modelling full-time, lots of us have other careers. We don’t just do for it the money, we do it because we love it and choose to do it.
The decision to ban grid girls in F1 feels hypocritical. The decision has been made by F1 but I think it is coming after pressure from feminists. Their reasons are that women should have freedom and that we shouldn’t be objectified but no-one has spoken to grid girls before making these statements. We are all ending up without that work and this takes away that freedom they say they are trying to gain for us.
There's plenty of interviews and twitter posts etc from grid girls out there and they all say basically the same thing. Maybe some questionable things sometimes occur but they are in no way being exploited.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Out of all the things they need to address this was pretty low on the list.
I would like to see the race stewards be the same group at every round and have integrity before they pander to the PC crowd and remove things like grid girls.

Have they even thought the Grid Kids thing thru or was that a knee jerk reaction to the removal of the Grid Girls and all the negativity it caused? Seems strange to me it took them 4 days from one announcement to the other, if a predecessor plan was in place why not mention it at the time of cancelling the Grid Girls to assist in squashing any negative press.

Creating a criteria "The youngsters will be chosen by their motorsport clubs on merit, or by lottery, and will already be competing in karting or junior formulae." kinda limits things, especially if people cry for equality and want to see both genders represented. Im certain there are more boys to pool from than girls. Also creates the stigma of rich kids getting a go over engaging fans of any ilk with the sport.

Would have made more sense to simply get rid of the rule that the kids need to be competing in karting or junior formulae and just made it an open lottery to kids that are already fans of the sport on a country by country basis. I wonder if the parents of the choosen kids will have to pay for the privilege of being selected, ie air fares, accomodation, tickets ect.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Or could have had gird boys too. It was so easy to remove the sexism ;)

The grid kids obviously takes things in a completely different direction.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: General F1 news

Post by w00dsy »

wabbit wrote:Or could have had gird boys too. It was so easy to remove the sexism ;)

Alguersuari would have liked that.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

richo

Post by richo »

Grid kids ? Imagine the shitfight if one of the kids gets touched up which unfortunately happens when children mix with adults far too often.

Forget all that shit lets address the ridiculous 3 engine law...
[]D [] []v[] []D
w00dsy

Re: RE: Re: General F1 news

Post by w00dsy »

richo wrote:Grid kids ? Imagine the shitfight if one of the kids gets touched up which unfortunately happens when children mix with adults far too often.
That went from 0 to 100 pretty quickly.
Montey

Post by Montey »

richo wrote:Grid kids ? Imagine the shitfight if one of the kids gets touched up which unfortunately happens when children mix with adults far too often.

Forget all that shit lets address the ridiculous 3 engine law...
So have they gone from exploiting women to now exploiting kids? Because, that's better??????
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I'm not sure how the grid kids thing is going to work. Will they need an extra chaperone on the grid cos it's not a terribly safe place for kids to be? And if so, who would they be? Maybe a sponsored promo woman perhaps :D Some of the tracks are bloody boiling too (or pelting with rain) and they might not do so well being out there for that long holding a big stick.

If they wanted to get rid they should maybe have just had a big bollard instead.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

The grid girls are pissed they don't get a modelling gig one weekend a year? Tough shit. Get a real job not on the basis of your looks. It's outdated, completely irrelevant to the sport. A cardboard cutout can be a replacement and still do the job with the same finesse. I'm with Dex on this through and through. Grid kids is a better idea and will build the sport much more as the audience can be broader now and not chauvinistic dickheads. I wonder how many times they get groped etc while doing their gig? Does anyone know the name of a famous grid girl?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Bollocks.

I can do 3 from a 3 year period, Jean Shrimpton, Joanna Lumley & Twiggy. 2 early Supermodels and a future Actress. All 3 flagged for the great Jim Clark. Jimmy of course tapped them all.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yep I'm with Santa and Dex, let's move on and now try to make the racing better too!
eek
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It's taking focus off the real issue for this season and that is the limited amount of engine bits they can use. I can see this championship decided by penalties and when you take them cause 3 power units isn't going to cut it. Or they'll all go slow enough that each race pushes the two hour limit cause they don't want to blow shit up.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I'm amused at how much hyper-ventilation the grid-girls side show is causing.

Change is hard, I get it. Take a big breath everyone and DON'T PANIC. Maybe find a towel to comfort yourselves with.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:Bollocks.

I can do 3 from a 3 year period, Jean Shrimpton, Joanna Lumley & Twiggy. 2 early Supermodels and a future Actress. All 3 flagged for the great Jim Clark. Jimmy of course tapped them all.

I think anyone can see Jamo's problem right here. Just like Tony Abbott, he is stuck in a time decades ago.

Move on Jamo. Have a look at what SpaceX did yesterday instead of wondering will we ever get to the moon!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Cursed wrote:I'm amused at how much hyper-ventilation the grid-girls side show is causing.

Change is hard, I get it. Take a big breath everyone and DON'T PANIC. Maybe find a towel to comfort yourselves with.

Ford? Ford Prefect? :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.