General F1 news

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: General F1 news

Post by Big Kev »

Fernando Alonso will race at the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2018 and 2019 as part of a deal that will see him contest all but one World Endurance Championship race for Toyota this season.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I feel a bit sorry for Anthony Davidson.. He just got bumped for Fred.

Any deserves a Le Man's win as much as any one in that team.
eek
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

No dedicated thread for it so ill just slip this in here.

Formula E’s new car for 2018-19 season revealed

Thats one mighty diffuser on the rear, will be interesting to see how much downforce it generates.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I like it. Moving away from the standard open wheeler look is a good move I think. Makes it its own thing rather than looking like a low tier open wheeler car.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I don't think downforce comes in to it much with FE. They're on skinny road tyres and aren't going that quick.
My Flickr Stream
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Also the little fact that they compete on Scalextric tracks.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

'Grid girls' will no longer be used by Formula 1 from the start of the 2018 World Championship season, organisers have announced.

Sean Bratches, managing director of commercial operations, said the change would be made "so as to be more in tune with our vision for this great sport".

"While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 grands prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms," Bratches added.

"We don't believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world."
My Flickr Stream
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

This looks fun.
A new behind-the-scenes Amazon documentary on McLaren has revealed there were genuine fears Fernando Alonso would quit during 2017 Formula 1 pre-season testing and that the team would 'collapse'.

The series 'Grand Prix Driver', which is narrated by Michael Douglas and produced by Manish Pandey, a BAFTA winner for his involvement in the Senna film, is being released on Amazon Prime from February 9.

There are also some fascinating radio and team conversations from the Barcelona test, when Alonso was clear about how unacceptable the engine situation was.

"It's too dangerous to run like this," said the two-time champion after one lap. "Horrible balance with the rear because the driveability was poor. So we cannot test like this."

He later added: "This is a really a **** engine. A **** power unit, you know."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13415 ... apse-fears
eek
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Big Kev wrote:'Grid girls' will no longer be used by Formula 1 from the start of the 2018 World Championship season, organisers have announced.

Sean Bratches, managing director of commercial operations, said the change would be made "so as to be more in tune with our vision for this great sport".

"While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 grands prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms," Bratches added.

"We don't believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world."
Poor grid girls are now out of a job, nice work :yes:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Cant be seen offending anyone these days...
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I can see how they don't want to appear sexist but F1 is a sausage fest so having some ladies there kinda helps.
Maybe Sambo is the new scantily clad umbrella holder.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

The way the World is headed, makes me wanna freaking puke.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

w00dsy wrote:I can see how they don't want to appear sexist but F1 is a sausage fest so having some ladies there kinda helps.
That thing isn't combatted by the other thing.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I don't see the point of grid girls anymore. I think I've said here before get the local karting kids to hold the flags and experience the top level of sport like they do for ball sports.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Don't see the point of admiring beautiful women.....

Last call at the Blue Oyster Bar!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Jamo upon hearing the news...

Grid girls are for the history books. If you want girls in racing then they need to see girls on the grid as drivers. Both the WAFL and the WBBL have shown that girls doing well brings more girls into the sport.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Formula One races in Europe and Brazil will start an hour later this season in a move aimed at boosting television audiences, organisers said on Thursday.
https://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/mot ... tory.shtml

Damm, so 11pm starts - 1 am finishes ;(
thornz

Post by thornz »

nutty wrote:Formula One races in Europe and Brazil will start an hour later this season in a move aimed at boosting television audiences, organisers said on Thursday.
https://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/mot ... tory.shtml

Damm, so 11pm starts - 1 am finishes ;(
Thats the nail in the coffin for me, used to always be midnight starts here in NZ, which I could stay up for, watch till first pit stops and go to bed pretty much knowing the result.

But 1am starts, yeah nah.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That's why they need some form of streaming service like motogp does. The races are there to watch on demand if you can't see them live. But if they are chasing TV numbers then I think we might be some time from getting that if at all :(

Also some races will start at 10 minutes past the hour to allow more time for pre race build up... more fucking ad space is all that is. This post was bought to you buy Nescafé blend 43 :smackbum:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I just grab the 1080p torrent. Same guy every time does a SD and HD each combining pre,race and post. The downside is staying off social media however that might not be a bad thing sometimes :D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Those start time delays are a bit crapola.
I guess Ill be switching off even more before the race finishes if its shaping up to be a snooze fest.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Oh FFS, doubt I'll watch many live now.
So Brazil will be a 3am race start instead of 2am AEST., not that it makes much difference for us.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah we get fucked over for sure. All for the US viewers who don’t give a toss about F1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

DexterPunk wrote:Yeah we get fucked over for sure. All for the US viewers who don’t give a toss about F1.

Hehe, stupid US viewers!

To be honest, It's basically impossible to watch F1 live on the west coast. Race starts at 3 - 5am Sunday, depending on the daylight savings situation. It's no wonder there is no audience here.

I haven't watched a single race live since moving here.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I find it hard to watch a race if I already know the result.
Last year I missed the US race live and had the intention of staying away from media all day to be able to enjoy the recording. As it was someone had the radio on at work and the top 3 were glossed over in the sports report, I wasnt even listening but as soon as they mention a drivers name I knew my ears pricked up. Bump Bowwwww.

Im hoping this isnt the case but, I can see myself just not caring about F1 anymore at this rate.