World Endurance Championship 2016

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

pixelboy

Re: World Endurance Championship 2016

Post by pixelboy »

:(

That's a shame but hopefully we'll see him in the B12 hr now.
eek
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Damn... I was really hoping he'd get a L24 win before he retired.
Webber confirms retirement from motorsport to take on new role with Porsche

Following this afternoon’s announcement by Porsche that Mark Webber will assume a new role as special representative for the German automotive manufacturer as he signs off on a long and successful career behind the wheel, the 40-year old Australian has confirmed his intentions and future plans.

“Of course hanging up my professional racing helmet is a very big decision but I’ve been extremely fortunate to receive great counsel from two of the legends of our sport, Sir Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda, about the timings of such a decision,” said Webber as he prepares for this weekend’s Fuji round of the WEC.

“The timing is right for me – you certainly view things a bit differently when you get a bit older and your priorities in life change. As with my F1 career, it’s nice to making the decision on my own terms."

Webber added, “I’ve really, really enjoyed my time in the cockpit with Porsche and could never have envisaged having such a dynamic relationship with my two team-mates in the #1 919, Timo Bernhard and Brendon Hartley. It’s been a sensational three years and off the back of three consecutive wins, I’m hoping we can continue our good form and finish this year strongly.

“It’s an absolute honour for me to remain with Porsche and whether it’s at the track or away from it, I’m looking forward to putting my 26 years’ experience as a competitor to good use in my new role within the company.

“In addition to Porsche, I’m incredibly fortunate to be walking into some new and exciting opportunities with Red Bull (who I will have been with for 10 years next year), Channel 4 in the UK, and Network Ten and Michelin in Australia. As for Aussie Grit himself, I’m working on a couple of new ventures too, so watch this space!”
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Audi is set to withdraw from the World Endurance Championship, ending its long association with the Le Mans 24 hour race by ceasing its LMP1 motorsport operations, according to rumours circulating at its Ingolstadt headquarters in Germany.

While Audi won’t officially be drawn on speculation it is set to bring to a close the most successful chapter in it motorsport history, high ranking insiders close to its chairman Rupert Stadler suggest the company has made the decision to end its LMP1 motorsport engagement from the end of the 2017, giving the German car maker one more shot at adding to its haul of 13 Le Mans victories.

The decision to withdraw Audi from Le Mans comes after cost cutting initiatives were introduced by the Volkswagen Group in the wake of the dieselgate affair. Bosses are said to have questioned whether it was in the best interest of the financially embattled company to pit its two most profitable brands, Audi and Porsche, directly against each other in the world’s premier sportscar championship.

Among the arguments against a continuation of both Audi and Porsche in the World Endurance Championship is the fact that much of the attention around the global race series is focused on the Le Mans 24 hour race. Despite the media attention it draws, Volkswagen Group officials point out there is only ever one winner of the Le Mans race each year.

“Whatever way it turns out, one of our brands is deemed to lose,” said an insider.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

It's official, Audi are out.

Audi is realigning its motorsport strategy. The premium brand will terminate its FIA WEC commitment, including the 24 Hours of Le Mans, at the end of the 2016 season. Instead Audi is taking up a factory-backed commitment in the all-electric Formula E racing series.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

This is a massive set back and test for the WEC. Audi have been the backbone of the series for the past 15 years.

Now with a real possibility of only 4 cars in LMP1, the FIA and ACO need to work twice as hard to get another manufacturer or two in a time where there are so many options for manufacturers to show their wares.

Thanks Audi, you certainly redefined endurance racing and won't be forgotten.
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

So Musk was right.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Sad to see them pull out. Would be cool if a non-factory team could run the cars next year but I guess that won't happen. Porsche vs Toyota would be pretty dull after what we've had for the last couple years.
richo

Post by richo »

That sucks but good for Formula R/C Car I guess.

Hopefully LMP2 and GTE/Pro kick on enough to fill the gap.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yeah I heard they were thinking of pulling the pin a week or so back, shame to loose such a large manufacture but it may also show how exorbitant & expensive LMP1-H is currently.
I wonder if their decision will entice new manufacturers to give it a go (less competition) or scare them off even more.

As for LMP2 if the new Orica chassis renders are anything to go by they are looking fantastic.

Dukester

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Well Porsche and Audi are owned by VW. So basically they are competing against themselves. Porsche are easily the quickest atm in WEC so they obviously made the decision to put the money elsewhere.

It seems to be centred around the diesel engine. On one hand, they're currently unable to keep the weight down on the cars and are giving away 2MJ of energy to Porsche and Toyota, with the category to gain a further 2MJ in 2018. Then there was dieselgate and all the fallout. What I'm probably most surprised at is they haven't stuck around for next year, given they had such a radical new car for this year. The money won't directly feed into Formula E as the budgets are completely mismatched, I have to assume they're under pressure to stop spending.

With that there were talks about going into F1 before dieselgate also.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

They were saying on the Shanghai coverage that Joest will run an updated Audi next year, with a petrol engine and no hybrid power.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah there is a chance but its a big ask to get a chassis ready with a totally different engine and bigger fuel tank ready in 4 months. I think 2018 is more realistic.
eek
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Kubica had a run in an LMP2 and went 0.5 faster than the regular guys did on the weekend.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Would be great to see Kubica in a LMP1 or LMP2.

Alonso also stoked the rumour mill when he sent a message to Webber on his retirement.
“You’ve had a fantastic career and now all your success with Porsche,” said Alonso in the video message.

“You didn’t wait for me there, it would have been nice, but I think you will be around so I will ask you many things when I join your adventure.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/11/22/alo ... h-rumours/
eek
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Scottie

Post by Scottie »

I'm amazed at the radical changes in Porsche's line up so far...
Certainly the Championship team getting butchered is a bit odd. I guess they want to help out a few of their old sister team's employees, but damn, never thought Leib and Dumas would go so suddenly.

I really hope Porsche and Toyota can field another car each to help the racing out next year... Although we always have the great LMP2 battles with their increased power next year.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

A pat on the back and a foot up the arse
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I very much doubt that we will see three car teams for the entire season.. More likely they will just do it for Le Mans.
eek
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

This is cool