World Endurance Championship 2016

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: World Endurance Championship 2016

Post by KNAPPO »

Icing on the cake, the #5 Toyota is classed as a non finisher due to not being able to complete a cool down lap. SO BRUTAL!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

So they don't even get 2nd?
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

They completed the final lap but were outside the 10 min allowed.. They took 11mins..
eek
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

pixelboy wrote:They completed the final lap but were outside the 10 min allowed.. They took 11mins..
:fall:
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

insane, gutted for them
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They need some hilux DNA in it to make it unbreakable. I do feel for them though. To lead for so long and looking like finally they'd break their duck... :(

If it were me driving, I would destroyed it with my own bare hands.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Any news on what broke?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Wow. I still can't believe it. To fail on the last lap of a 24 hour race, that has to be the worst way to go out.

:(
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: World Endurance Championship 2016

Post by w00dsy »

KNAPPO wrote:Any news on what broke?

Their spirit. I can't recall seeing such a heartbreaking loss in motor sport. I mean kudos to Porsche for chasing them hard but they aren't really the moral victors. They got smashed for nearly 24hrs by the company that makes the Prius.
Montey

Post by Montey »

w00dsy wrote:

Their spirit. I can't recall seeing such a heartbreaking loss in motor sport. I mean kudos to Porsche for chasing them hard but they aren't really the moral victors. They got smashed for nearly 24hrs by the company that makes the Prius.
Your statement is 99.9% correct.... the 0.1% is that Porsche had a car that ran for all 24hrs, not nearly.

Fantastic effort by Toyota and without doubt a heartbreaking result for them, but the Le Mans 24hr is first and foremost an endurance race. It asks the question "can you build a car that can be faster than everyone else for a 24 hour period?" To which Toyota's answer was "no, but we can do it for 23 hrs & 58 mins" and Porsche's answer was "yes, we can do 24hrs".
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Soul crushing disappointment hasnt been felt like this Jamo's last root.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Montey wrote:
w00dsy wrote:

Your statement is 99.9% correct.... the 0.1% is that Porsche had a car that ran for all 24hrs, not nearly.

Fantastic effort by Toyota and without doubt a heartbreaking result for them, but the Le Mans 24hr is first and foremost an endurance race. It asks the question "can you build a car that can be faster than everyone else for a 24 hour period?" To which Toyota's answer was "no, but we can do it for 23 hrs & 58 mins" and Porsche's answer was "yes, we can do 24hrs".
I reckon it was the boffins at Mazda performing some Japanese ritual... :lol:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Could the #6 have pushed them round I wonder? Sure it wouldn't have been fast enough to win but enough to log a finish. But them maybe 2nd isn't any consolation for breaking down that late in the game.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

norbs wrote:Soul crushing disappointment hasnt been felt like this Jamo's last root.
Eh? Have you got the wobbler Ghostwriting for you these days Norbs? :D
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:
norbs wrote:Soul crushing disappointment hasnt been felt like this since Jamo's last root.
Eh? Have you got the wobbler Ghostwriting for you these days Norbs? :D
Wasn't a bad effort considering I was doing a performance review on the phone at the time! Fixed. ;)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

norbs wrote:Soul crushing disappointment hasnt been felt like this Jamo's last root.
So how does that work? If you pay for 24 minutes but finish 3 minutes early, unable to go on, do you get any pro-rata refund?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
--------------
Stu
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Yeah, yeah. Norbs you clairvoyant bastard my last root was indeed a Toyota DNF, 'Oh what a lack of feeling'.

Don't remember it myself as I was mightily pissed but the young lady was nice enough to fill me in. That's right I was so maggoted I didn't do my customary scarper in the morning.

Anyhoo, apparently I stopped mid thrust and went "fuck this" then paused and said "your awesome" I then rolled off and went straight to sleep.

Sweet lass was so cool with it, I bought her breakfast. Twas a tad tricky as I couldn't remember her name but got through it :up:
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Jamo wrote:I bought her breakfast.

Rice bubbles or fairy bread?
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I'm sure if you asked the fine staff at The Westin could arrange that for you Rod lol.
norbs

Post by norbs »

So did BMW cheat by sandbagging?

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I don't think sandbagging is technically classed as cheating, it's falls more into the bad sportsmanship category. If it's a series that runs a BOP then there's more incentive to do it. A few years ago in the V8supercars when they did the aero tests one of the manufacturers(rumored to be Holden) made sure to have the section behind the front grill running less efficiently than it would if it was at an event, so that the numbers would look worse for them and they'd get extra allowances. It falls into that grey area of not technically illegal but it shouldn't be done.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:I don't think sandbagging is technically classed as cheating, it's falls more into the bad sportsmanship category. If it's a series that runs a BOP then there's more incentive to do it. A few years ago in the V8supercars when they did the aero tests one of the manufacturers(rumored to be Holden) made sure to have the section behind the front grill running less efficiently than it would if it was at an event, so that the numbers would look worse for them and they'd get extra allowances. It falls into that grey area of not technically illegal but it shouldn't be done.
like a 40 something man fucking 16 year olds? :D
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Yeah, not quite illegal but wrong. I don't think what BMW did was creepy though.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

They all do it when BOP is in place, it's a game of who gets away with it more & how long they can cover it up.
Lambo in GTD (GT3) @ The Rolex Daytona 24 was a classic example. They were nearly as fast as the GTLM (GTE) cars on the oval section.
Dukester