Formula Thunder 5000

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Formula Thunder 5000

Post by w00dsy »

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Not much downforce, but looking at the pic on the last page that shouldn't be surprising. It'll be nice to see a high powered open wheel series that isn't aero dominated.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Fuck Downforce.

Muat say they don't sound a thing like F5000.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

It'd be nice if they can get them to rev a bit higher. The old Commodores before V8supercars ran up to 8500 and they sounded so much nicer than the current ones that only hit 7500.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Here we go. They get a much nicer scream to them with that extra thousand rpm. 30 F5000's sounding like this would be glorious.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I like the way they sound just right. ;)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They need to be 8000 rpm or more to sound good :)
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

I happened to be at the 2016 Historic Sandown last weekend and got the chance to sit trackside as 12 F5000's did their thing.
I still can't hear loud noises at the moment, but if the old cars can go so good then I've got good faith in the new cars.
Also, the pole position time for the Sandown 500 was 1:08, two F5000's were hitting 1:03's and another four were going hell for leather for 4th place which is the most fearsome sight you can see in motorsport when so many of those beasts fight for track position.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Are they in modern rubber or classic?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Heard the Historics all weekend living only 3km's from the Circuit. You could tell when the F5000 beasts were on track that is for sure. :D
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Bails MacKenzie

wobblysauce wrote:Are they in modern rubber or classic?
Modern rubber AVON slicks to be precise, the only cars that have classic rubber there are the old Formula Juniors and Tasman cars on display, everything else is new rubber.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

F5000 were more a deep bassy roar than a scream Rod. As Bails kinda mentioned there's nothing else like them, the sound is a physical presence.

Only louder race cars I've heard are NASCAR which are ear bleedingly/eardrum rupturingly loud in person & that includes all types of Formula 1.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

wow. I've heard a GT3 porker screaming past while on the pit wall at wakefield, but that is about as loud as I want to get. Since towards T1 the cars are pretty much at arm's length...First time it happened I've almost fell off the wall, LOL.
I think I'd rather not watch these guys trackside, maybe from a bit farther off.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I've heard NASCAR and F5000 at the grand prix. Agreed NASCARs are crazy loud but the V10 F1s were louder than F5000 I reckon. Still awesome. Top Fueler is the loudest car I've heard though. That was insane. It was like you could see the sound waves ripple away from it.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Jamo wrote:F5000 were more a deep bassy roar than a scream Rod.

i don't care what they used to sound like, only what they could sound like :yes:
Bails MacKenzie

Jamo wrote:As Bails kinda mentioned there's nothing else like them, the sound is a physical presence.
In fact, you can quote me on that now The sound is indeed a physical presence.

There were a few loud cars at Sandown, as expected, Like the old Lotuses and Lolas with their 1L Cosworth engines and their impossible revs, the Tasman 2.5L Climax I4 that rivals the F5000 on that intense sound that literally shakes you no matter where the car is on the track (seriously, that engine is amazing) and the Cleveland 351 which is almost as loud as an F5000 and just as brutal.

Having heard the newer cars on video they sound like a modern V8 would, but they lack that wild noise that the old flat tappet Chevs and Repcos had, still, it'll please the crowds and be a damn sight cheaper than running an old Lola, so bring it on!
Also they'll be a hell of a lot safer than these old tubs!
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Exar Kun wrote:but the V10 F1s were louder than F5000 I reckon.Top Fueler is the loudest car I've heard though.
You're probably right in sheer decibel level but that's a shriek, the F5000 you feel in your chest.
I don't count dragsters as cars. A car can turn :) They're more like sleds, batshit fast sleds.
Bails wrote:Tasman 2.5L Climax I4 that rivals the F5000 on that intense sound that literally shakes you no matter where the car is on the track (seriously, that engine is amazing)
Yeah they're not bad after starting life as a Fire Pump eh!
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

V8supercars have released pics of their new competing category, called Super 5000. I'm conflicted about this, they clearly took Chris Lamdens idea and i hate them for that, but it looks more legit. http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/02/sup ... -revealed/
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

That's my quandary too. It looks heaps better but I don't really want to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--------------
Stu
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It could be bigger and better than the current state of V8 Supercars, if they allow it to be.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

No way this car will pass FIA crash tests. That nose is just going to scoop up anything in its way. I hate that it looks just like the old cars, we already have them!
Bails MacKenzie

Aside from just making a retro-modern Lola T332, is there any real market for two F5000 categories?
The biggest open wheeler field in Australia is Formula Vee with 50 drivers and cars that cost 10k to buy and 2k a year to run.

Running in F4 with cams backing costs 300k per year, and it pulls the same 6 teams who ran in F3.
You've potentially got a market of around 40-50 drivers who can afford to race an F5000 and half of them will have average skills, which means that they can either run high places in the FT5000 or be swamped and quickly desert the Supercars series.

So with Supercars saying that Lambden can run his as a "grassroots" thing is a load of shit, even if we had one series there wouldn't be 15+ cars turning up to every race, hell, real F5000 struggled to reach 15 cars a race most times because we don't have the population density like American and England to support such a category, especially one that no-longer has cams support and thanks to the Tasman Series and real F5000 ending, has no career progression.

Literally all of the teams in Supercars have said they aren't going to run them, there's no rhyme nor reason to, aside from a "We want F5000's that don't strip teeth from their gears" argument, there's not much separating the new cars from the historic scene anyway, especially when a 40 year old Chevron can lap Sandown faster than a Supercar or F3.

It's like with the Supercar Ute series, none of the ute teams want to run it, but Supercars is gonna build them anyway and pray for a full grid.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Was wondering what that was running around the track last month.

Even with the bike racing, most do not go to all events.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I just dont see the latent ten million dollars floating around Australian motorsport at the moment that would be necessary to get either series off the ground. Its five years too late as the GT3 series has swallowed up the dollars of the gentleman racers.
This could only work if it was adopted all over the world as the open wheeler amateur series but I just cant see it taking off.
XLV SPORT