Karting - Bitumen

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

MADCAP

Karting - Bitumen

Post by MADCAP »

Hey Guys,

Just recently got myself into Karting and cant stop grinning from ear to ear. TBH I should have done this long long time ago. Here is my current setup:

Kart: Tony Kart 2016, 401 Racer
Engine: X30 IAME
Class: TAG 125cc Lights Restricted (Min weight 162kg Kart and Driver)

ImageOTK-3 by Frank Hodak

ImageOTK-4 by Frank Hodak

ImageOTK-5 by Frank Hodak

ImageOTK-6 by Frank Hodak

ImageOTK-7 by Frank Hodak

ImageOTK-2 by Frank Hodak

ImageOTK-8 by Frank Hodak
Trailer was purchased from Craig Dontas SA V8 Ute Driver, he wanted $4k for the trailer Dad & I offered him $3K CASH and he took it. Bloody Ripper trailer, has mini air compressor, Solar panel on the roof to charge 12V Car battery, Storage Racks, Double Kart Transporter, Kenwood Stereo & Speakers, TV Antenna for Mini TV Display, Mini Fan for hot days and LED Lighting as shown in the phone.

Overal pakkage you see with kart and trailer $13K - Sold my KTM 350EXC for $10K so it was a easy transformation.

Video from Recent 3rd Place at Whyalla Club Meet - Please note there was only 4 competitors in our class that day/night but had a combined class to make the numbers to 6 drivers. I must admit this is awesome sport, we are doing almost 100km on the back straight at Whyalla but recent tested at Bolivar Southern Go Kart Club and reached 105kmph on the main straight, doesn't look that quick watching but when your somewhat 4" off the ground it feels mega quick.

Video of Heat 1 & Pre-Finals

+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
Speed

Re: Karting - Bitumen

Post by Speed »

Looks like an awesome setup and would be loads of fun.

I run that same engine on dirt, smooth, fast and reliable.

My missus and I raced bitumen karts a long time ago now, (we stopped in 1999 to concentrate on business)....you'll have even more fun when you race in bigger fields.
The thing I miss most about bitumen is racing in fields of 40, dirt karting has a maximum field size of 20.
I looked at going back to bitumen karting back in 2007 but the sport was in a lull at the time so I took up photography instead. :)

Good luck with it and keep us updated. :yes:
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Looks fun :)
But I'd be a bit worried going nutso like that at 100km/h
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I'm not racing yet but if you were to look up and to the right as MC goes past the finish line you would find me up in the Control Tower doing the race timing and scoring.
Just about finished my first year as the Assistant Race Secretary for the Whyalla club and to get involved with some non-virtual racing has been great.
Have so far met MadCap and GT Virus from around here.
We are hoping to resurface and extend the track in the next 12 months which should make it faster and much, much smoother.
XLV SPORT
richo

Post by richo »

I had a PRD in Clubman light but ended up selling it to fund wooden floors in the house , a sad and depressing sign of getting old.

That was a long time ago and it was my first home .
[]D [] []v[] []D
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

Jiminee wrote:I'm not racing yet but if you were to look up and to the right as MC goes past the finish line you would find me up in the Control Tower doing the race timing and scoring.
Just about finished my first year as the Assistant Race Secretary for the Whyalla club and to get involved with some non-virtual racing has been great.
Have so far met MadCap and GT Virus from around here.
We are hoping to resurface and extend the track in the next 12 months which should make it faster and much, much smoother.
Was great meeting you Duncan, last weekend, yeah I agree Whyalla needs resurface real bad, fun track look forward to coming back.
+ Current Ride 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale + 2016 TONY KART 401 X30 IAME + Santa Cruz Bronson V3 CC X01 +
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Hey MAD I'll have to catch up next time I come back to sprints. Been doing superkarts this year mostly though
P.s should of got a rotax ;)
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

GT VIRUS wrote:Hey MAD I'll have to catch up next time I come back to sprints. Been doing superkarts this year mostly though
Hey GT, everyones raving about the X30 Leopard, easy to tune good power =) Hitting up Monarto next weekend and doing some fun laps this sunday at bolivar
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

MADCAP wrote:
GT VIRUS wrote:Hey MAD I'll have to catch up next time I come back to sprints. Been doing superkarts this year mostly though
Hey GT, everyones raving about the X30 Leopard, easy to tune good power =) Hitting up Monarto next weekend and doing some fun laps this sunday at bolivar
You'll find how good rotax's are at Monarto :P
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

GT VIRUS wrote:Been doing superkarts this year mostly though
Those little fuckers are awesome, absolutely batshit quick. Are they still as fast as I remember? (ie quicker than anything short of an F3 car)
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Superkarts around PI.. is a blast, better then V8supercab laps.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Jamo wrote:
GT VIRUS wrote:Been doing superkarts this year mostly though
Those little fuckers are awesome, absolutely batshit quick. Are they still as fast as I remember? (ie quicker than anything short of an F3 car)

The class I run (Non-gear box, basicly sprint karts with longer gearing) laps around the same as a Formule Vee, the 250 gb's are still just as quick as F3's.

Of course, it's not quicker when you do this (after one lap last weekend...)

Speed

Post by Speed »

GT VIRUS wrote:
Of course, it's not quicker when you do this (after one lap last weekend...)
Ouch, I did the same thing at Barbagallo, locked it solid doing 150ks in my sprint kart and went spinning off wildly into the kitty litter.
You have to run them rich as fuck when they are wide open for so long.
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

Might rain this weekend at Monaro 40% chance, but most likely it will be dry. Went out and bought New Edwards Kart Alloys here locally and some Wet Dunlop Shoes

Plus got some decals made for Helmet & Kart - All designed by myself but got Gadget Graphics to print.

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

MADCAP wrote:Might rain this weekend at Monaro 40% chance, but most likely it will be dry. Went out and bought New Edwards Kart Alloys here locally and some Wet Dunlop Shoes
I doubt there will be 2 wet meetings in a row at Monarto, however wet driving is great fun. If it's wet saturday it will be well worth getting some practice in before hand. Remember wheel spin is your death in the wet in karting, you lose at least 0.2 each time you get it.
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

GT VIRUS wrote:
MADCAP wrote:Might rain this weekend at Monaro 40% chance, but most likely it will be dry. Went out and bought New Edwards Kart Alloys here locally and some Wet Dunlop Shoes
I doubt there will be 2 wet meetings in a row at Monarto, however wet driving is great fun. If it's wet saturday it will be well worth getting some practice in before hand. Remember wheel spin is your death in the wet ryin karting, you lose at least 0.2 each time you get it.
Hey GT,

What gearing is best used in wet vs dry? Considering I am 74kg and running Tag Lights Restricted with minimum weight of 162kg
Speed

Post by Speed »

In the wet and depending on the condition of the track it's usually best to run outside of the normal racing line which will be slipperier due to the water sitting on the rubber down. Also the bitumen is usually less worn and more abrasive off line.
Also in slippery conditions it's best to drive more than usual with the brake. If you can't get good enough throttle control and keep spinning the wheels up, dabbing or riding the brake a touch can help.

It's a long time since I raced bitumen but I always went well in the wet....I never used to change my gearing. Depending on which expert you talk to, they'll give you different theories for going either way and your head will be spinning. :)
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

Cheers SPEED, yeah as a Rookie its a learning game for me, as for the racing line in wet, totally understand and have some idea about why they go off the race line, its common sense =)
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Note that I ran Rotax, so it's a different game for changes (in general in the wet I dropped one front tooth, not an option for X30). I would try 2 teeth less at the rear than your bolivar setup for the dry, and in the wet add 5 teeth to that.
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

GT VIRUS wrote:Note that I ran Rotax, so it's a different game for changes (in general in the wet I dropped one front tooth, not an option for X30). I would try 2 teeth less at the rear than your bolivar setup for the dry, and in the wet add 5 teeth to that.
Cheers GT,

I hit 74/75/76/78/82 sprockets - currently I was running a 75/10 at bolivar and prob should have had a 76/10 to be a bit more punch out of the corners.

I'll suss a few lads with x30's on Saturday and get ready for Sunday's race.

Looks like a nice field of 23 drivers in TAG LIGHTS restricted
Speed

Post by Speed »

MADCAP wrote:
Looks like a nice field of 23 drivers in TAG LIGHTS restricted
Nice size field, the more the merrier I reckon.
Have fun and good luck.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Have fun.. and do not forget the antifog for your visor.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

Cheers Fellas, Ill be out back due to Provisional anyways, hopefully not too much carnage at the starts.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Should be fun

I'll be at Phillip Island this weekend, grid of 15 Heavy's living up. Going to be mixed weather but should be exciting. The wind's might blow us around a bit though
MADCAP

Post by MADCAP »

All the best GT go getm - live the track at PI did it once on my Ducati best day of my life :yes: