2016 FORMULA 1 EMIRATES JAPANESE GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Shaun

Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 EMIRATES JAPANESE GRAND PRIX

Post by Shaun »

I like how they still celebrate winning the constructors championship. Like seriously pretty sure if you didn't win that when you practically have both cars on the podium every round something would be seriously wrong. Boring

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I wonder, would fans rather a go kart style formula where only the drivers are unique cause otherwise I feel you're currently getting what you wish for. Each time the formula is revised of course one team is going to better than others. Next year's formula is already being touted as perfect for Redbull and we've just come from how many years of them winning?
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I would like to see a spec-engine formula, but that would pretty much eliminate any manufacturer support.

Go karts aren't spec, there is some evidence that OTK chassis are the fastest, and in international CIK competition there are different engine manufacturers.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Oh ok :)
Montey

Post by Montey »

I watch F1 for the technology at much more than I watch it for the driving.

I love it when the worlds best drivers are going toe-to-toe, but as an engineer (by birth) its the amazing advances in the technology that pushes my buttons (e.g. that photo tweeted by Rosberg yesterday of the forces being absorbed by his car whilst cornering). This means I get quite grumpy with a lot of the rules that restrict the advancement of the technology (I wish we had ground-effect). If they have to control the formula I'd prefer they did it via a budget cap approach and let the teams freely innovate in any way they want within that fixed budget.

If F1 went to a homologated formula I'd almost certainly stop watching; watching 22 self important c**t* doing the automotive equivalent of the conga in the same car whilst comparing who's snapchat photo makes their hair look great just isn't for me.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

F1 is fine as it is. To homologate it would kill it. It needs fan cars, ground effects, F-ducts, frics ect... Although they get banned it's innovation trying to find the edge.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Aero... Aero... Fucking Aero. Piss it off.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

A snip-it I wrote down from a F1 doco I watched ages ago. Its stuck with me for years now, I wrote it down as I was listening to it so it might not sound perfect :D Your mileage may vary.
The danger F1 got itself into, is that the cars got clever, and the drivers ended up playing a smaller role in winning races. And that’s not good box office

If the drivers are the box office heroes. Spectators watch how the drivers battle, are at the very heart of F1. Without spectators, sponsors would not bother to buy the space on the cars. without the money, teams can’t fund the technology the threats to alienates the viewers. but Without the tech, it isn’t F1.

Active suspension was banned because it was a driver aid. They saw it as restricting the role of the driver.

Oh and the other things I jotted down while thinking why F1 the way it is.
Two audiences (goto the races, don’t basically matter very much. The other is the TV viewers, 350M TV viewers watch each race, 17 races a season). Sponsorship is king, their money transformed F1. Cars are advertising hoardings. Drivers are employees. F1 is like a game of chess played at 300kph