2016 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE MÉXICO

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez
Lap data
Lap length 4.304km (2.674 miles)
Race laps 71
Race distance 305.354km (189.738 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Maximum speed 345kph (214.373 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and longest straight
Distance from grid to turn one 900m

UK Times
Friday 28th October 2016
Mexican Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 16:00-17:30)
Mexican Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 20:00-21:30)
Saturday 29th October 2016
Mexican Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 10:00-11:00 (UK time: 16:00-17:00)
Mexican Grand Prix Qualifying: 13:00 (UK time: 19:00)
Sunday 30th October 2016
Mexican Grand Prix: 13:00 (UK time: 19:00)

Previous Winners
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014–1993 Not held
1992 United Kingdom Nigel Mansell Williams-Renault
1991 Italy Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault
1990 France Alain Prost Ferrari
1989 Brazil Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda
1988 France Alain Prost McLaren-Honda
1987 United Kingdom Nigel Mansell Williams-Honda
1986 Austria Gerhard Berger Benetton-BMW

Videos
Rosberg 2015 onboard

Berger 1991 onboard

Facts From Previous Race

Nico Rosberg can clinch the world championship in Mexico this weekend despite his team mate’s victory in the United States Grand Prix.

Although Lewis Hamilton scored his seventh win of 2016 in Austin he remains 26 points behind Rosberg with 75 available. If Rosberg wins on Sunday and Hamilton fails to finish inside the top nine, Rosberg will be crowned champion.

Whoever wins the championship, the record for taking the most race victories in a season without winning the title will be equalled and probably beaten this year. Three drivers have managed to win seven races in a season without becoming champion: Alain Prost in 1984 and 1988, Kimi Raikkonen in 2005 and Michael Schumacher in 2006.

If Rosberg wins the title Hamilton will at least equal that record, and could break it if he wins any of the remaining races. If Hamilton wins the title Rosberg will definitely break the record, as he’s already won nine times this year.

Hamilton set a new record last weekend by becoming the first driver to have set pole position at 23 different circuits. He took the record from Prost, and the changing composition of the Formula One calendar means there are only nine circuits where both have had pole.

Of the 21 circuits on the calendar today there are just three left where Hamilton has never been on pole. Two of those, Baku and the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, have only held one race during Hamilton’s career. The other track is Suzuka which is something of a bogey circuit for Hamilton in qualifying.

Rosberg joined Hamilton on the front row of the grid for what could have been a record-equalling 24th race in a row. However he lost his front row start in Austria due to a gearbox change penalty. Ayrton Senna started 24 consecutive races from the front row between the 1988 German and 1989 Australian Grands Prix.

Hamilton’s pole position was the 58th of his career, leaving him ten behind Schumacher’s all-time record of 68 and seven behind Senna.

Senna took 162 races to reach 65 poles, a strike rate of 40.1%. That compares to Hamilton’s 58 poles from 185 appearances, a rate of 31.4%. For comparison, Schumacher’s strike rate was 22.1% over the course of his career (68 poles from 308 appearances).

Hamilton also set a new record lap of the Circuit of the Americas, narrowly breaking the 1’35s barrier with a lap of 1’34.999. That was 0.658s quicker than the record set by Sebastian Vettel in qualifying for the first race at the track four years ago.

Vettel continues to hold the race lap record of 1’39.347. He also set the fastest lap on Sunday, coming within half a second of his previous best after a late change to super-soft tyres.

The Ferrari driver set the fastest lap by a whopping margin of 1.964 seconds. That’s the most emphatic fastest lap for more than 20 years, when another German in a Ferrari set a scorching pace. Schumacher’s fastest lap in the 1996 Spanish Grand Prix was 2.218s quicker than anyone else.

But Vettel was powerless to stop Hamilton winning, which made him the third driver in F1 history to reach a half-century of victories. One more will put him level with Prost on 51. He will likely need to beat Prost’s wins record before the end of the year if he is to equal the champion’s tally of four titles.

After that only Schumacher will lie ahead of Hamilton in terms of race wins with his gargantuan tally of 91. However Hamilton did match Schumacher’s record of five wins in the United States Grand Prix. In fact these two drivers have won nine of the last ten F1 races in the USA, half of which were at COTA and the other half at Indianapolis.

Carlos Sainz Jnr came within two laps of finishing in a career-best fifth position, but slipped to sixth when he was passed by Fernando Alonso. He was still elated to equal his previous best where he also finished at home in Spain earlier this year.

Haas also managed to score a point at their first home race, and the first home event for an American F1 team since the previous Haas outfit raced at Detroit in 1986. On that occasion both Alan Jones and Eddie Cheever retired with steering problems.

Romain Grosjean claimed the point for Haas in his 100th grand prix start, which he marked by wearing a special helmet design. His former team mate Kimi Raikkonen also reached 250 race participations, and should make his 250th start at the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres

Championship Standings
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Jamo

Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE MÉXICO

Post by Jamo »

There is no plane of existence upon which #blessed is on par with Alain Prost.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Agreed :yes:

If he is the be the standard for future 3 time world champions, or any future world champion, then the sport will suffer.

Praise Allah that we have Dani Ric doing shoey's :)
Minister for Religious Genocide.
richo

Post by richo »

I don't get it to be paid a fuck ton of money to do something you love and then behave like a petulant child when you won or got on the podium?
Most drivers would give both nuts to stand on the podium of an F1 race just once in their life .

As the Doctor said thank (insert deity here) for Dan "The Shoe" Ricciardo and yes the shoe business will get old eventually .
[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Rosberg pulled a Qual from nowhere after struggling all practice sessions. We may well look back on it as the reason he consolidated his first DWC.
But that'll depend on how the race plays out tomorrow.

Dukester

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Well max is turning into a bit of a dick.

How Seb and Dan didnt hit at the end, that was close.

And Seb, who was he telling to fuck off at the end?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

LOL. Max has been punted.
Doso

Post by Doso »

Entertaining ending almost feel like vettel should also been given a 5 seconds penalty for moving under braking

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Enforcer-J

Re: RE: Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE MÉXICO

Post by Enforcer-J »

norbs wrote:Well max is turning into a bit of a dick.

How Seb and Dan didnt hit at the end, that was close.

And Seb, who was he telling to fuck off at the end?
Charlie Whiting! Sebs losing the plot.

To me, he did to Max what he helped push the FIA to ban because of Max.. except he moved across him in the braking zone... which is already forbidden. This contributed as to the reason why Max couldnt pull it up. Hypocrisy at its finest.

I dont agree with the decision. Either leave it or penalise them both and give Ricciardo 3rd :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Ahh i mixed up the Ricciardo move and the verstappen off.

Either way, I think Rocciardo deserves 3rd even more so!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

this would be a 5 week ban for an AFL player.

https://my.mixtape.moe/gzvunt.mp4
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yep a very entertaining end to the race that for most of it was pretty boring & uneventful.
Max's penalty was probably deserving as in my opinion he made no attempt to turn on the asphalt run-off to try make the corner. It looked like he chose to go straight across the grass.
But I don't agree with Vettel saying Max was deliberately backing him up into Dan as Max's tyres were much older than both Vettel's & Dan's so that was always going to occur.
I do think Vettel moved under-braking so by the rules he should've have also been handed some sort of penalty. But I also feel this rule will ruin some of the hard racing battles like this instance.
I also hope Vettel makes an apology for his radio chatter, it was uncalled for. I also feel the broadcasters should've have aired most of it. How quickly did Vettel calmed down once the big boss Maurizio Arrivabene got on the channel. lol
Oh & Dan's skill to avoid a crash was remarkable though.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Vettel is fast becoming a massive knob, we saw glimpses of it at Red Bull but now that he's not winning it's becoming clearer. He acts like more of a child than Max.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

w00dsy wrote:Vettel is fast becoming a massive knob, we saw glimpses of it at Red Bull but now that he's not winning it's becoming clearer. He acts like more of a child than Max.
He's a top bloke when there's no pressure but as soon as it's on him he is a jackass. I wont judge him too harshly as I'm similar lol.

But it is amazing the way Max handles things. He honestly made Vettel look like the kid junior and he's the old wise head.
norbs

Post by norbs »

How did lewis get away with the cut track at the start?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Not a surprise there. Seb needs to calm it down of late, its getting old fast..
norbs

Post by norbs »

Ouch. 3 3rd place getters in a few hours.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Hahaha, F1 is getting more & more of a joke. Great for Dan though, but he'll be bummed he didn't get to celebrate on the podium.

It's a good point norbs.
To be fair, or biased depending on how you see it & view each driver, I think Lewis had so much more speed he could only do what he did without risking a big crash.
But then I'm a probably a hypocrit for saying Max probably deserved his penalty. Ha.
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote:Hahaha, F1 is getting more & more of a joke. Great for Dan though, but he'll be bummed he didn't get to celebrate on the podium.

It's a good point norbs.
To be fair, or biased depending on how you see it & view each driver, I think Lewis had so much more speed he could only do what he did without risking a big crash.
But then I'm a probably a hypocrit for saying Max probably deserved his penalty. Ha.

Just watched it and surely there should be a penalty for such a big stuff up. He was never going to make that corner.

Interesting times for sure.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Here we go...

After shortcut...

I suppose he was lucky a SC came out.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

lol what a shit show.

Vettel...

How did Lewis not get a penalty? Typical.
richo

Post by richo »

Vettle should have got the arse for telling Charlie Whiting to get fucked . Even if he was right you can't behave that way .
[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Just remember that gap was also after Max & Rosberg hit each other, sending Rosberg wide & slowing each other considerably through T2.
It was probably one reason why Lewis didn't get a penalty as by the rules he didn't gain an unfair advantage.
Dukester