2016 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Who will win the title?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:38 am

Nicola Rosberg
41%
Hamilton #blessed
12%
Pedro Lamy
47%

Total votes: 17

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

São Paulo
Lap data
Lap length 5.554km (3.451 miles)
Race laps 55
Race distance 305.355km (189.739 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’40.279 (Sebastian Vettel, 2009)
Fastest lap 1’38.434 (Lewis Hamilton, 2011, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 320kph (198.839 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Two straights
Distance from grid to turn one 304m

UK Times
Friday 25th November 2016
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 13:00-14:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 17:00-18:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 26th November 2016
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 14:00-15:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Qualifying: 17:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 27th November 2016
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: 17:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Lotus-Renault
2011 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2010 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2009 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault

Videos
Hamilton 2012 onboard

Multiple onboards 2012

Facts From Previous Race

For the 30th time in the 67-year history of the Formula One world championship, the title will be decided at the final race of the year.

That is remarkable given the 2016 season is the longest of all time. The weary field heads to Abu Dhabi to wrap up the title in the 21st round of the championship. It will be the third time the drivers’ title is decided there following Sebastian Vettel’s success in 2010 and Lewis Hamilton’s two years ago.

Hamilton went into the 2014 finale as the favourite to win the title. However this time the odds overwhelmingly favour his team mate Nico Rosberg.

With a 12-point lead heading into the final race a podium finish will guarantee Rosberg the title. In contrast, a podium finish is the only way Hamilton can retain his crown, and after that it depends where his team mate finishes.

In the 22-car field there are 507 different combinations of finishing positions plus non-finishes for the two title contenders. In 455 of those Rosberg would win the title and the remaining 52 would result in Hamilton clinching the title.

In simple mathematical terms Rosberg has an 89.7% chance of winning the championship.

Note also that if Yas Marina is a half-points race Hamilton can only take the title by winning with Rosberg no better than tenth.

Hamilton’s chances of winning the title look better if we take this year’s results into account. To take the title he must win in Abu Dhabi with Rosberg fourth or lower. That result has occurred four times in the 20 races so far this year, giving him a 20% shot. But of course, Hamilton may not be content to leave it up to chance.

With his ninth victory this year, Hamilton reached a career total of 52 wins. He has now overtaken Alain Prost’s 51 victories, leaving Michael Schumacher as the only driver in F1 history who’s won more races than Hamilton.

At his tenth attempt, Hamilton finally crossed Brazil off the list of venues he hadn’t previously won at. Fittingly, the driver of car number 44 did so in the 44th edition of the Brazilian Grand Prix which counted towards the championship. That leaves only Baku, this year’s new addition to the calendar, as the one race on the schedule which Hamilton has never won.

Hamilton also took the 60th pole position of his career. It was his 11th pole position this year which means he retains the Pole Trophy he won last season.

Hamilton gave Mercedes their 19th pole position of the year. That broke Red Bull’s record of 18 in a season from 2011, when there were 19 races on the calendar instead of this year’s 21. Since 2014 Mercedes have only been beaten to pole position once per season, and by a different team each time.

The Safety Car notwithstanding, Hamilton led all 71 laps of the race and has now led more laps than Rosberg this year: 523 to 486.

However the flying Red Bulls denied Hamilton a ‘grand slam’. Max Verstappen took the first fastest lap of his career, becoming the youngest driver ever to do so.

This record was previously held by Rosberg, who set it on his grand prix debut at Bahrain in 2006, aged 20 years and 263 days. Verstappen lowered the mark to 19 years and 49 days.

Verstappen is now the youngest driver to win a race, score a point, stand on the podium and set a fastest lap. Vettel remains the youngest driver to start from pole position, but Verstappen has two years and 30 days to break that record.

Unusually, neither Mercedes driver made a pit stop in their pit box during the race. They only time they changed tyres was during the first stoppage when the whole field was instructed to fit a new set of full wet weather tyres. This was done in the fast lane of the pits, so Mercedes’ efforts to move their pit box to avoid a bump proved inconsequential.

Another curiosity from the eventful grand prix was Hamilton’s mid-race change of helmet designs. He began the race using a special yellow helmet in tribute to Ayrton Senna, but switched back to his regular model due to problems with water ingress.

Felipe Nasr’s first points of the season crucially moved Sauber ahead of Manor in the constructors’ championship. But he nearly did even better. With a dozen laps remaining he was in sixth place, which would have taken Sauber ahead of Renault as well.

However it was a joyless race for Romain Grosjean. He equalled the best qualifying performance for Haas with seventh on the grid but failed to start there after crashing on his way to the grid.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres

Championship Standings
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Post by Big Kev »

My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

And so it comes down to the last race... C'mon #blessed
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

So, it could very likely be the driver with most poles, most wins and most laps led loses the title. I wonder if that's happened before?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Mansell in 1987 would come close with 6 wins, 8 poles but his accident at Suzuka put him out for the final two rounds.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I have a feeling Rosberg has been happy to settle for second every race without risking it. I'd rather see him race Lewis for the title but really why would you when dont have too. He beat him fair and square enough times this year to prove he can do it now.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Didn't his dad win the title with the fewest wins ever? Runs in the family :D

I've also seen talk of an interesting correlation between the radio ban and Rosberg's mid season dip in form. When the ban was lifted his performance picked up again. It may be that he needs more coaching while he drives to get the best out of the car. Or it's just a coincidence!
My Flickr Stream
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Careful correlation does not imply causation.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I'm interested to see the points per race finished stat once this is all done & dusted.
Yes I understand that reliability is part of the whole package, it's still a team sport after all. But I'm betting #blessed would have had the most individual DNF's from reliability issues in a season, for quite a long time.
Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Duke wrote: But I'm betting #blessed would have had the most individual DNF's from reliability issues in a season, for quite a long time.

he's only had 1 DNF this year due to mechanical issues. The other time he didn't finish was when he and Nico crashed in Spain. Apart from that he's been in the points everywhere.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

#excuses
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I'm pretty confident the driver with the greatest number of points for the season will win. As it has ever been.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Enforcer-J

Re: RE: Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Post by Enforcer-J »

Duke wrote:I'm interested to see the points per race finished stat once this is all done & dusted.
Yes I understand that reliability is part of the whole package, it's still a team sport after all. But I'm betting #blessed would have had the most individual DNF's from reliability issues in a season, for quite a long time.
Jesus christ do you even watch F1 or literally that blinded by hamboys propoganda machine?

The whole reliability thing is blown waaaay out of proportion. As woodsy said. 1 DNF. Most of his 'reliability' issues were due to his shit starts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Whao let's not get personal cause you can't handle someone liking a driver (for his driving talent) that you can't stand En J. I also don't care to follow anyones propaganda train especially his. Image

Yes I stand corrected, thanks Woodsy. I did forget that a lot of Hammy's poor results came from grid penalties replacing power units & gearboxes due to reliability issues between races or sessions & not directly from DNF's.

Forgive me for my error but I will blame it on the fact I had an interview at the end of today, so my brain was & still is a bit frazzled. #excusesindeed ;)
Dukester

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

#fightfightfightfight!!!!!!!

:D
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I admire Hamilton for his driving talent. It stops there.

As for a personal attack, I stand by my belief that it was one of the most ludicrous statements Ive seen relating to F1 here... but it's more about why you believed that. The bullshit parts of the media and Hamiltons fanboys that have blown the reliability thing out of the water... mostly thanks to Hamiltons comments which were as much about him throwing his toys out the pram as it was about undermiming Rosberg.

Either driver deserves this championship whoever wins. Hamilton and his followers have done their best to take away any credibility to the idea that Rosberg wouldnt deserve it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Rosberg had the one gearbox penalty in Austria and that's really it for reliability. Lewis has been at the back of the grid twice, back of the top ten and that DNF. There's no doubting that all things being equal that Lewis would be in front in the championship but he lost a crap load of points due to shit starts as well.

Still feels like Lewis has been quicker across the season but it'll be good for F1 to have a different winner.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Rosberg also gave away a bunch of points to Lewis at Monaco by letting him through, which he shouldnt have done. Lewis then benefitted from Red Bulls bugger up. I doubt Lewis would have let Nico through.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

What is a shame is that there's barely been a straight fight between the two of them despite how dominant they've been.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Exar Kun wrote:...There's no doubting that all things being equal that Lewis would be in front ...
Why would we assume all things haven't been equal? The chance of having a faulty part fitted has been unequal? The possibility that the driver himself might contribute to the health of the car is unequal?

The two drivers are in the same team. How much more of an equal footing do you want?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

You know what I mean. Take mechanical issues out of the equation and Lewis would be ahead if everything else stayed the same (ie driver performance on each weekend etc) which it wouldn't be (as Woodsy has pointed out, Nico has probably only been doing what he has to do these last few races rather than taking any risks), hence the clarification.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Exar Kun wrote:You know what I mean. Take mechanical issues out of the equation and Lewis would be ahead if everything else stayed the same (ie driver performance on each weekend etc) which it wouldn't be (as Woodsy has pointed out, Nico has probably only been doing what he has to do these last few races rather than taking any risks), hence the clarification.
And the first part of your post is what I was getting at originally.

Don't t get me wrong, Rosberg has done a great job this year & I can't argue he'd be a worthy champ. After last year I didn't think he'd have it in him but things have also fallen his way.
As we know the best don't always win do they. Otherwise Alonso would be the Champ. Image
Dukester

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Duke wrote:[Otherwise Alonso would be the Champ. Image
Overrated :aussie:
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Bring on next year I say! Got a good feeling about Danny Ric for next year with the new changes.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I agree Dr.
Mr Newey must be salivating with the changes.
Dukester