2016 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Who will win the title?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:38 am

Nicola Rosberg
41%
Hamilton #blessed
12%
Pedro Lamy
47%

Total votes: 17

Dr. Pain

Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Post by Dr. Pain »

Hamilton did what anyone would had done in that situation. It's happened before and one of the worst I've seen was in 125CC in 1999 when Marco Melandri was blocking Emilio Alzamora trying to win the championship in the last round. That was really bad.

To me the race events are nothing, that's racing, but it's what Hamilton has said from Spain that's lit the fire and why people are beating down so hard on him now. The team showed they are a team by swapping the mechanics around and they expect everyone to do their bit. It's his attitude towards it that stinks and I suspect he will get a right bollocking over it!
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Montey

Post by Montey »

I have no issue with what Hamilton did during the race, right up to the point where he blatantly disobeyed a team order given to him personally by Paddy Lowe, Executive Director of the Mercedes Formula One. Once Paddy got on the radio and ordered him to speed up he is (theoretically) obligated, under commercial contract, to do what he is told. By not obeying Paddy's instruction he was (likely) technically violating his contract with Mercedes and Mercedes could be within their rights to enact penalties against Hamilton or even terminate the contract (unlikely).

But, most of all, I loath Hamilton's behaviour before and after the race. His holier-than-thou, "even if I lose, in my own mind I won", "Rosberg only won because of my bad luck" attitude is the sporting attitude of a complete narcissistic c**t. There have been plenty of great drivers with ego's to match (Senna, Prost, Berger, Schumacher, etc) but when they lost they accepted that it happened, congratulated (properly, not this fake crap for the cameras) the winning opponent and came back more determined than ever to be better next time. By contrast, when Hamilton loses its always someone else's fault and its all about someone else that has to do better; in Lewis' mind any non-win for Hamilton is a win that was somehow stolen from him.

I, over the past 24 months, have come to loath the little shit. I admire his driving skill, but as a person he is a total and utter twat that deserves and has earned almost nothing. When he retires he will likely go down as one of the most disrespected world champions in F1 history.

Lewis Hamilton is Formula 1's equivalent of Anthony Mundine.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

lol, great post Montey
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I just copied that and pasted that (saying i read this elsewhere) into a small forum I visit thats got all UK people, and Me. haha
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

NeilPearson wrote:I just copied that and pasted that (saying i read this elsewhere) into a small forum I visit thats got all UK people, and Me. haha
Perth?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Well said Montey, explains exactly how I feel about him
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Dunno if its been mentioned but i'm pretty sure that Vettel didn't overtake Rosberg in the final few laps because he didn't want Hamilton to become champion..

He seemed pretty happy in the waiting room after the race and I think that probably infuriated Hamilton even more..
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I like the idea but I don't know how we can confirm that.

I found...

Lap 53-To Sebastian Vettel Three laps to go. We are safe on tyres, you can push to the end. Push on the limit.
Last edited by wabbit on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It seems most of the drivers get along and will have a drink together. They may not be best friends but they still have a laugh. All except one over the past two years.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

He's an absolute dick off track but once again, I'm glad he's around. Like it or not, he's pretty much the only driver known beyond the bounds of sport in the way of Schumacher & Senna. He doesn't care about the corporate crap and whilst most of us think he's a wanker, he'll be surrounded by people who love being seen with him.

Basically, we can level all the criticism we like at him but he's not going to give a shit and there's nothing Mercedes can really do to him either.

Meanwhile, the annual Autosport team principal's pole of driver of the year went to Hamilton again with Rosberg in 3rd. It doesn't say who they'd rather have driving for them, but it does give a pretty good indication who they think was quicker across the season.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

http://wtf1.co.uk/heres-team-radio-tran ... abu-dhabi/

Radio transcript from the final laps of the Abu Dabi Doooooo GP.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Lewis Hamilton: “Right now I’m losing the world championship so I’m really not bothered if I’m going to win or lose this race.”

This proves his intention was to sabotage his own teams results to stop Nico winning. This is the sporting version of treason.
richo

Post by richo »

The mans a c**t but a c**t that can drive extremely well , that's all I have to say.
[]D [] []v[] []D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Nawwwwww.

Why couldn't he say this in public on the podium, but saves it for social media...

Is it me or the line "you did everything a champion needed to do. Well deserved" is still poking him in side? That last part wasnt really needed, end it at Congratulations Nico and remain sounding humble.

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Backhanded complement ;)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: RE: Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Post by Duke »

w00dsy wrote:Lewis Hamilton: “Right now I’m losing the world championship so I’m really not bothered if I’m going to win or lose this race.”

This proves his intention was to sabotage his own teams results to stop Nico winning. This is the sporting version of treason.

I can't get why this is being raised as a Bastard act by Lewis, what else could he try?
By that stage it had no affect on "The Teams" result, all that was left was to see who won the DWC. Lewis was just making a point that he didn't care what the "Team" instructed him to do. Remember he never actually went through with the treat.

In fairness if Rosberg was so perturbed he should have been more aggressive but he was content to do just enough to ensure the title, in all honesty he had both V's covered.
Can't blame him for that either.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
w00dsy

Re: RE: Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Post by w00dsy »

Duke wrote: I can't get why this is being raised as a Bastard act by Lewis, what else could he try?

because it's Mercedes goal to achieve a 1-2 in every race, Lewis was intentionally trying to force a 1-4 result despite their warnings. He was trying to sabotage the teams results to benefit only himself. And when they said he and Nico were under threat he basically said he didn't care. It's very simple,Lewis is only there for himself. He refused to speed up in China last year when Nico asked the team if he could go quicker. He refused to move out of the way for Rosberg in Hungary when they were on different stratergies last, but then happily accepted the team asking Nico to move out of the way in Monaco this year. He is there purely for himself and if he doesn't win he doesn't care if the team doesn't win. He's a great driver, but he's a very ordinary human being. What he did the other day wasn't illegal but it was a show of character.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Thanks Woodsy saved me typing it.

Duke, racing teams have a limited time at the top so they want the very best they can achieve in that period. Even if Merc could win the WCC in say 5 races, they'd still want a 1-2 finish for all remaining races. Remember all those historical records that keep getting mentioned from time to time? Merc want the highest possible achievement.

Duke wrote:In fairness if Rosberg was so perturbed he should have been more aggressive but he was content to do just enough to ensure the title
I think this comment shows your bias where your unable to see how Lewis was driving per lap. Slow where the was no DRS timing marker and shot off when there was. Do you really think hand-on-heart with two equal cars the one behind without DRS would normally overtake the first?

Another way of looking at it is after a safety car restart and the leader slows up the cars, then on his timing he nails it and shoots off into the distance. That's what Lewis was doing throughout each lap regarding DRS timing markers.
Last edited by wabbit on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

question for you Flinty, how would the same tactic be viewed in cycling? Not only not helping a team mate, but trying to force him to lose.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

If I was rosberg there is no way I would attempt to overtake Hamilton in the final phase of that race. I am quite confident that Hamilton would of run him of the road given half a chance!

And by the way, after watching the final fee laps again, I'm sure that Vettel was content to just sit behind Rosberg.. On the final lap he had a good opportunity to take him at the end of the straight but didn't even pull out to have a look.. Bravo Vettel.
eek
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

That's the same Vettel who is just as selfish on track as Hamilton really. :) Rosberg winning the title is one of the few times that the nice guy has won the title lately. The ruthless guys tend to own the track. Back in 2007 it was Alonso being a dick to Lewis.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Schumacher was a dick in the car too. Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve found that out. Senna was a nut but something draws people to them. Sport is funny, it makes you live for that moment. That's why I liked Senna over Prost, yet Prost was more sane than Senna.

Elite sports men and women are selfish pricks and they have to be. Just some hide it better than others. I for one could not live in that fish bowl and glad I don't.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Vettel kind of jeapordised Ferrari's result also if that is the case. I was sure he wasnt going to attempt a pass... it was the best rear gunner Rosberg could have. Do we think Vettel would want to gift Hamiltion a 4th championship? No way, hes just as bad in that sense. Atleast he seems like a good bloke outside of the car, just an arse in it! (His flip from team radios to interviews is amazing... in the heat of the moment hes a dick but on his reflections out of the car he knows the score)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I get what you're all saying but, as per usual the Dr. nails it.

Cycling does come close to what F1 is but it's different in that team members who have no chance of winning will sacrifice themselves to share in the spoils of victory.
So sorry but the comparison to Cycling or any other team sport is pretty irrelevant when trying to say F1 is a team sport. If it was then there would only be team points awarded. The very fact there is a DWC dictates some personalities will act in certain ways. Like them or not it's what makes F1 what it is & it's the reason it has produced the legendary figures that are either liked or loathed.

You say I'm biased but the same can be said of the hate I read here everyday, that can be just as blinding.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Just be glad these forums were not around 20 years, I was raging when Schumacher was being a right royal prick :rofl: