2016 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Who will win the title?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:38 am

Nicola Rosberg
41%
Hamilton #blessed
12%
Pedro Lamy
47%

Total votes: 17

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Post by NeilPearson »

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Well done to Nico. At least Lewis being a douche made that race somewhat interesting. It really is a crap track. For good or for bad Lewis makes races more interesting to watch.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Fuck me the crazies are out in force on Facebook and various F1 forums. Makes Max's fanbase seem rational.

Good on Nico for bringing home the DWC, and for the Rosberg family to be the second father n son combo in history to do it, first where the old man was still alive to witness the feat.

Pitty about Loowis' actions post race, I was ok with him trying to back Nico up during the race. He could at least be happy for Nico and not come off as a complete and utter twat...
I wonder if they both remember what it was like to be friends.

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

He did exactly what I thought he would do and try to make life tough for Nico in the race. Post race, he is typical of some modern sport stars these days.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Post by w00dsy »

'Hey babe come home'
'can't i'm racing'
'my pussy is wet'

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

KNAPPO wrote:.

Good on Nico for bringing home the DWC, and for the Rosberg family to be the second father n son combo in history to do it, first where the old man was still alive to witness the feat.

?t=7
Funny thing is both Hills copped the same criticism as Nico over their career. Not natural drivers, etc. Keke is the one who people still talk glowingly about, yet Nico got more wins, poles, and fastest laps this season than Keke did for in his whole career. He only got 5 wins, 5 poles, 3 fastest laps all up and yet he has a much better reputation.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:
KNAPPO wrote:.

?t=7
Funny thing is both Hills copped the same criticism as Nico over their career. Not natural drivers, etc. Keke is the one who people still talk glowingly about, yet Nico got more wins, poles, and fastest laps this season than Keke did for in his whole career. He only got 5 wins, 5 poles, 3 fastest laps all up and yet he has a much better reputation.

I believe this is called the Jamo Premise.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Because Keke drove in Grand Prix back when they were worthy of the name.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Is Jamo's real name Mike Jacobson?
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Who Le Fuq is Mike Jacobson?
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Can we organise a kickstarter to get Jamo into F1? or perhaps building a Time Machine would be a better option.

Glad this season is over and we can look forward to next year where Red Bull will be dominating once again :)
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I think Jamo would like the 1960's, pre-aero, so program that in before cranking up the flux capacitor.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Jamo wrote:Who Le Fuq is Mike Jacobson?
How do you feel about CAMS, F4 and Supersilhouettes?
I fucking hate that guy, I wish genuine ill on very few people but he is one of them.

Anyway, if Lewis had been blocking and really preventing Nico from passing, well that is dodgy, but he always maintained a gap and controlled the race to his advantage.
If Lewis had been going as slow as everyone thinks then Nico should have been able to pass him right and bang, problem solved!
XLV SPORT
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I didn't have a problem with Lewis' tactics. Honestly, what driver wouldn't have given it a go?

His behaviour afterwards was indefensible, however.

He was basically saying he deserved it and Rosberg didn't, which is utter bollocks. When Alonso just lost to Vettel in 20??, I think everyone pretty much felt he had been the more deserving driver considering the car he had under him, but even he was gracious in defeat.

I have been bemused by Lewis in recent years but felt he was fundamentally alright, but he is a total twat at the moment.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I thought it was a good race. Hamilton didn't really have any choices once he got in to T1 first. He needed someone between him and Rosberg so the only way to do that was to back him up. Didn't quite work as Rosberg was fast enough to stay ahead and even if it had gone 10 more laps, Max's tyres were done so he would have never caught up anyway. The worse part was Merc getting on the radio telling him to speed up. They were just trying to cover their backs.

I think Rosberg's deserved it this year. Sometimes the luck goes your way and sometimes it doesn't. F1 has always been like that. The haters seem to forget Rosberg breaking down in the last race 2 years ago when he could have won it too and at the end of the day you still have to win the races. He won't be the most charismatic champion ever to further the sport much or be the best driver but he did well enough to win this year.

I just hope next year is good...
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
norbs

Post by norbs »

Good point made by Jackie Stewart...

Stewart, 77, who attended the Abu Dhabi race, added: "Lewis was refusing their instructions, and he was going against the management team.

"Now, I am sorry, but when you are paid between 20 and 30 million pounds a year and you are told to do something you have got to do it. I don't care who you are."
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

But then again, Gary Anderson makes a good point on Autosport.com. Was Mercedes ever in any serious danger of losing the race? Both Lewis and Nico could have gone much faster anywhere on track if they'd needed to. There was never any real chance that Max or Seb were going to take the win.

Without Lewis doing what he did then it would have been a crazy boring race. I'm no fan of the guy off track but I still think he's amazing on track and actually makes things worth watching.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Montey

Post by Montey »

Exar Kun wrote:But then again, Gary Anderson makes a good point on Autosport.com. Was Mercedes ever in any serious danger of losing the race? Both Lewis and Nico could have gone much faster anywhere on track if they'd needed to. There was never any real chance that Max or Seb were going to take the win.

Without Lewis doing what he did then it would have been a crazy boring race. I'm no fan of the guy off track but I still think he's amazing on track and actually makes things worth watching.
Whilst the likelihood may have been low, the risk was still there and the more Lewis backed Rosberg in to the chasing pack the more likely the risk became.

If Hamilton and Rosberg were 30 seconds ahead then there would have been little risk; even if one of them had a spin they would have had enough buffer to recover and retain first and second places.

By backing Rosberg in to the pack, the likelihood of an incident increased and the likelihood of not being able to recover from an incident also increased. Whilst this was acceptable to Lewis (indeed it was what he hoped for), it was not acceptable to the team so they ordered Lewis to go faster.

Whilst it was unlikely (per Anderson's comment) that they would lose, Lewis' actions made it more likely.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I cant see Mercedes wanting to throw away a certain 1-2 for the possibility of a 1-3 or as Loowis was hoping for a 1-4 finishing to the final GP of the era that they have completely dominated in.

I guess Loowis' perspective was 'let us race' for the DWC as the constructers was stitched up already but what team would throw away a 1-2 so deep into a Grand Prix.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Also, by backing Nico into the pack it would mean a higher likelihood of overtakes being attempted not only on Nico but by Nico on Lewis. Overtakes being what they are, there would be a risk to one or both Mercs not finishing at all and likewise for the nearby competitors. A shit storm of negative publicity would then ensue and all for the sake of Hamilton's ego.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Still, what did people expect Hamilton to do? Not try to win the championship? No one got close to making a pass on Nico. If Nico couldn't get near Lewis then how was a lesser car going to get past Nico? Lewis failed at backing him up enough really.

Nico won the 2013 Monaco GP by backing up the pack and driving as slowly as possible. So backing people up is something he's been able to manage before without risk. Mercedes had the constructors and a 1-2 in the championship. Let them race how they want and give us some entertainment.

Both drivers had things pretty much under control. Nico having to overtake Max was the closest things got and when Mercedes told him he had to do it he just drove by on that lap.

The most disappointing thing about the on track action all year is that we barely got to see those two guys go at it. One or the other got a shit start, Lewis had mechanical issues or they crashed into each other. Nico smashed Lewis on pace in Baku and Singapore. The last 4 races Nico was cruising - those were the most laps they really spent running 1-2 on the road and Nico wasn't going to challenge.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Exar Kun wrote:Still, what did people expect Hamilton to do? Not try to win the championship? No one got close to making a pass on Nico. If Nico couldn't get near Lewis then how was a lesser car going to get past Nico? Lewis failed at backing him up enough really.

Nico won the 2013 Monaco GP by backing up the pack and driving as slowly as possible. So backing people up is something he's been able to manage before without risk. Mercedes had the constructors and a 1-2 in the championship. Let them race how they want and give us some entertainment.

Both drivers had things pretty much under control. Nico having to overtake Max was the closest things got and when Mercedes told him he had to do it he just drove by on that lap.

The most disappointing thing about the on track action all year is that we barely got to see those two guys go at it. One or the other got a shit start, Lewis had mechanical issues or they crashed into each other. Nico smashed Lewis on pace in Baku and Singapore. The last 4 races Nico was cruising - those were the most laps they really spent running 1-2 on the road and Nico wasn't going to challenge.
It didnt look that easy to me Mick. I was shitty blue sparks when he passed Max.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I had no issue with Hamilton backing Nico into the pack. I was just postulating why Merc might have wanted him to not do so.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]