Melbourne F1 Questions

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

plastik8

Melbourne F1 Questions

Post by plastik8 »

Hey guys.

I'm off to the F1 for the first time in March, can't wait. Going with a couple of mates from work. Will be there for the Sat/Sun only, and will be purchasing General Admission tickets.

Had some questions for the regulars:

1 - Where's the cheapest place to buy GA tickets, and do they sell out?
2 - Best GA place to watch the race from, and how early do you need to get there to secure a spot?
3 - Is it OK to bring folding chairs in?
4 - Is there commentary over the PA system?
5 - Is there a local FM radio commentary? AM?
6 - Does 4G work OK at the track? Would be nice to have a timing app running on the phone to keep track of the leaders.

Anything else I should know, bring, prepare?

Can't wait! :aussie:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
wabbit

Re: Melbourne F1 Questions

Post by wabbit »

2 - Fuckin early, many hours before anything happens (the hill at turn I can't remember just woke up was 15 rows deep and we turned up "early")
3 - Yep
4 - Some spots have speakers hanging off the fence (you'll need to be somewhat close though)
5 - Yep, I didn't use a radio and should of
6 - Yep, Telstra was fine from memory

Bring, hat, sunnies, water, cash money :D

Next time I go I'll be doing the paying for grandstand seats. Completely different experience from Melbourne with GA to Singapore with seating.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

1. Cheapest is to purchase online not at the event. I think the AUS GP website has them a little bit cheaper than Ticketmaster but don't quote me.
2. Yep Brocky's Hill (T11) gets packed, so does the other Hill at T9 as they are probably the best GA areas. It's been a few years since I've been but there are other good GA areas to spectate from, if you are happy to wander around. I used to get there just before the gates opened not for the crowd but just so I could look around before on track events started.
You'll find any GA area that has good viewing to a mega screen the busiest for obvious reasons.
3. Yep
4. Yes, there is a PA system around the whole track, both sides but you will struggle to hear it at times depending on the category of cars racing on track.
5. Yep, it an FM station. I have been able to listen to it from my office in the CBD too.
6. Telstra brings in 3-4 temp, additional bases for the GP to cover for the demand. Not sure how the other providers perform.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

It was easy to hear the commentary with the new F1's last time I went in 2014. The old V8's it was impossible. I've never been Sunday but Fridays and Saturdays are pretty easy to find a spot to stand or sit.
Telstra was almost impossible to use last time I was there until the crowd left and suddenly it was fine.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Awesome - thank you all! Will have a think about forking out for a grandstand ticket (there are a few left). Might pop back with grandstand related questions soon.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

You will able to hear the PA now days. When I went, you had no hope!

Not my clip but it was 2005 when I was at Albert park.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Dr. Pain - Man, what a pity. Apparently the loudest car of the weekend is the 2 seater joy-ride F1?

Another question - Are you allowed to take an esky in, with alcohol? I'm guessing no, but thought I'd ask....
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Can't bring alcohol no. Cars are getting louder again so fm radio is a must. Telstra 4g has worked fine the last couple of years. Never been GA but t3 and the two hills are best spots. However there are plenty of places especially towards the end of the track where you can get close to the cars if you don't mind not being able to see a super screen. Heaps of off track action too.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

You might see some old F1 cars running around so you might get a V-8 of V-10 screamer from the 2000's. I got to hear an Eagle Weslake V-12 and I am still well chuffed over that :)

If you do hear a screamer then don't have any hearing protection in, it's just one of those things you have to hear :vibes:
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Does anyone know if you can get paddock passes at the track. Got a mate from NZ going and is looking at gaining access to the paddock.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

What do you mean by paddock pass?
Years ago, when I last went you can't get near the pit precinct without a hugely expensive ticket...
Some of the other categories paddocks used to be accessible on a standard GA ticket but I'm not sure if you still can.
Dukester

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

This might be useful too, to get your bearings & see what's around the circuit... 2017 F1 AGP Circuit Map
Capture.JPG
LEGENDS LANE Immerse yourself with interactive displays at the Industry & Innovation Precinct, check out the impressive Land Rover Twin Terrapod, Shannons Historic Garages and get the latest F1 merchandise.
F1 CENTRAL Take a pit stop in F1 Central and check out the Renault Zone, DeWalt Guaranteed Tough Zone, and get your F1 merchandise fix.
M-LANE & HEINEKEN VILLAGE Pop up in the fast lane. Expect gourmet food trucks, the Petaluma Wine Bar and street art exhibits. Join us in the Heineken Village as we host the hottest live music acts and serve ice cold Heineken in the world-famous beer garden, all while you watch the F1
F1 FAN ZONE The rock stars of racing are well within reach. Grab an autograph with F1 and Supercars drivers at the F1 Fan Zone stage. Or catch a selfie with your favourite drivers as they take the Melbourne Walk into the Formula One Paddock every day. Wander through the Porsche Carrera Cup Paddock.
CHAMPIONS GATEWAY Admire latest releases from a range of premium automotive manufacturers all showcased in Champions Gateway.
COATES HIRE SUPERCARS VILLAGE Get your behind-the-scenes fix. Here you can walk through the Supercars support paddock, meet your favourite Supercars driver and check out the exotic cars in the Shannons Insurance Australian GT.
KIDS’ CORNER Packed with activities, the Kids’ Corner will occupy your junior F1 fans all day with attractions from Disney Pixar and Porsche Kids Driving School. Or get active and test your skills in the Kids Sporting Zone.
JAGUAR F-TYPE SUPERSPRINT Buckle up for an exhilarating ride in a new Jaguar F-TYPE. Feel true performance alongside a professional driver as they put the F-TYPE through its paces on a trackside driving course.
GP Radio 99.7 FM Live Event Commentary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dukester

Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Thanks
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

We had a main spot but also walking around a bit. From memory

- Surprised by the outside of T8, up on the hill there you get a bit more time seeing the cars than I expected.
- Between T12 & T13 basically straight from Gate 9... there's a great spot where you can watch the cars come 12 and out.
- Just before the bridge between T13 & T14 on the outside was good too. Slow close and you can really see the cars moving around going through T13.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Outside of T9 was always my favorite but not on the hill rather at around the 50mtr brake marker right on the fence.
Dukester

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Oh take lots of money if you plan to eat and drink there or buy anything.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Cheers everyone for the tips, great stuff.

Another question: Do G.A. Tickets ever sell out? My friend reckons they might go on sale a week before the event, and tempted to hold out until then to save a few dollars (tightARSE)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I don't remember them ever selling out of GA before...
Dukester

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

But I don't think that they go on sale either...
eek
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Agreed and agreed with the above. They don't sell out and they don't go on sale
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Cheers everyone, not long now!

One more question: Is it possible to buy tickets at the gate? Online has a pesky handling fee.... :)
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

yep, that's what i always do.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

buy a ticket wherever there isn't a line... Fed square will have a ticket box too, so it might help you save some time.