2017 Virgin Australia Supercars

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

2017 Virgin Australia Supercars

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: 2017 Virgin Australia Supercars

Post by Duke »

Opinions are mixed in the Supercars paddock following the category’s announcement to abolish the controversial redress rule this season.
Supercars outlined its new rules of engagement to drivers and teams at Tuesday’s official tyre test as the sport aims to clarify its competitor code of conduct and penalty procedures going forward.
Following an 18-month review, the category has revealed plans to remove the redress rule and install a new system for investigating incidents.
Last year drivers were able to redress a position if contact or a small mistake was made during the overtaking manoeuvre without being issued a penalty.
The rule was thrust into the spotlight at last year’s Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 when Jamie Whincup tried to redress, sparking a three car shunt involving Scott McLaughlin and Garth Tander.
From this year incidents will be investigated by experienced motorsport administrator Michael Masi with assistance from new Driving Standards Advisor Craig Baird.
DJR Team Penske driver McLaughlin believes a move towards the old system prior to the redress rule is a step forward for the category.
“It seemed to work in the old days and we are slowly going back to that way. I don’t think it is a bad thing,” McLaughlin told Speedcafe.com.
“We as drivers were always reading off the same page but some people don’t think they are in the wrong, and then you have grey areas.”
The mindset was echoed by Prodrive boss Tim Edwards who feels the decision will reduce the ambiguity the redress rule caused.
“I think it is a very positive change for the sport,” Edwards told Speedcafe.com.
“We need to clarify a few things and try to reduce the ambiguity. The time was right to have a reset and work out how we will play the game this year.”
However, the view is not shared by everyone in the paddock with team personnel and drivers concerned that Supercars’ new stance will promote more cautious racing.
“I’m a fan of the redress and I know people don’t think it worked well for us, but I thought it encouraged good racing,” Triple Eight team manger Mark Dutton told Speedcafe.com.
“The guys and girl out there need to know that they can have a little bit of a push and if something goes a little bit wrong, that doesn’t destroy someone’s race, then they can redress it and move on.
“I think that is a fantastic way to do it and I thought we had made inroads with that last year.
“I really hope we are not throwing the baby out with the bath water and it feels a little bit like that.
“You can always improve and some changes needed to be made.”
Prodrive Racing’s Chaz Mostert admits the redress rule was unclear at times but is unsure if the new system is the best result for the product.
“It’s tricky. The redress was something the drivers tried to get their heads around last year,” Mostert told Speedcafe.com.
“Last year was very unclear and this year the rules are very different it takes it back to how it was before.
“It is going to take a bit to get our mindset ready for that.
“It might hurt the racing a little bit with drivers being a bit more cautious and not going for that gap.
“The good thing about the redress was if you made a mistake you could give the position back and avoid a penalty.
“I think they (Supercars) are still working on few things so let’s see what happens at Clipsal.”
The new rules are set to come into force for the first time at Adelaide’s Clipsal 500 from March 2-5.
Dukester

Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Lowndes' is my fave livery. The Preston's and GB Galv one's are good too.

Some of them are really quite boring. Brights machine is terrible.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Here is Tim Slade / BJR Freightliner...

Yep I agree Vil, I also like the De Silvestro "HN" Nissan but Lowndes is the best & looks fantastic.
I also reckon the RBRA/HRT & Walkinshaw Racing in matt will look pretty good irl too.
Dukester

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i'm quite liking most of the liveries this year. I wish Brights was symmetrical though.

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Some fantastic sideways action all started with Lowndesy in the first 10 secs.:D

Also anyone else think some of the liveries are sim'esque. Take the green wheels on the Bottle-O,they are just horrid like they are in race sim liveries. :rolleyes:
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Anyone heading to Clipsal this weekend, track down The Bend Motorsports Park simulator and give my track a go!
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Will look out for it GT
XLV SPORT
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

GT VIRUS wrote:Anyone heading to Clipsal this weekend, track down The Bend Motorsports Park simulator and give my track a go!
Did you make that one? I got to see it running today. Didn't get a chance to drive it though.

:yes:
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

AstrO wrote:
GT VIRUS wrote:Anyone heading to Clipsal this weekend, track down The Bend Motorsports Park simulator and give my track a go!
Did you make that one? I got to see it running today. Didn't get a chance to drive it though.

:yes:

Yep, it's the one I'm working on. Hopefully today the lines move faster, as I didn't realise they planned on using hotlap mode, and I forgot to set that up :P
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I managed a mid 1:56 with all the driving aids on and an auto box *sigh*. So much more time in it though.

Nice work :yes:

Edit:
Should add that it was set in hood cam, with no details or essentials bar. Only time was displayed and a ghost car that was confusing, especially since I was going faster with each lap.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Im not a the 500 this year and I must say its so nice to not have to worry about it or lug 20kg's of camera gear around like a cut snake.

GT, what sim software is it running on?

My guess was rFactor but as you shared a image of it for AC and Astro mentioned the essentials bar I thought it might well be AC.
Just never seen AC used in a commercial environment before. Out of curiosity, is the simulator running for free?
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Yep, it's AC and thank christ for that!

I'm sick of the poorly implemented rFactor sims at these events.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Yes the SIM is free :)
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Don't think it's properly implemented, the amount of patch's and phonecalls over the past 2 days has been way too high :(

Astro I can confirm you are the fastest punter so far, on-par with Paul (the designer/ project manager). My best yesterday morning was a 1.52.6xx (but I think I have an unfair advantage)
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Think I've done about 6 flying laps total, but there is a heap of time still in it. Just need more laps and I forgot you could manually down shift! :D
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Ok, just ran another 2 laps this morning, got down to a 1:55.6. Would love a go on my rig at home, should be seconds faster in the same car with no driving aids interference. :)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

are the cars running softer suspension this year?
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Probably because they're kerb hopping a lot this weekend they've gone a bit softer. Plus no real high speed corners they can afford to run soft for the extra grip. McLaughlin lifted his inside front through turn 8 in the shootout.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Is the spring rate of the new tyre significantly different?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It's spring rate to get over the Kerbs. The new tyres are 5 mm taller but the spring rate is allowing them the get over the kerbs at turns 1 and 2 and they straddle the kerb at turn 7.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »