2017 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Sakhir
Lap length 5.412km (3.363 miles)
Race laps 57
Race distance 308.238km (191.53 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’31.447 (Pedro de la Rosa, 2005)
Fastest lap 1’29.527 (Mark Webber, 2005, fourth practice)
Maximum speed 321kph (199.46 mph)
DRS zone/s (race)
Distance from grid to turn one 265m
Full throttle 66%
Longest flat-out section 1205m
Downforce level Medium
Fuel use per lap 1.7kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.054s

UK Times
Friday 14th April 2017
Bahrain Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 12:00-13:30)
Bahrain Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 18:00-19:30 (UK time: 16:00-17:30)
Saturday 15th April 2017
Bahrain Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 15:00-16:00 (UK time: 13:00-14:00)
Bahrain Grand Prix Qualifying: 18:00 (UK time: 16:00)
Sunday 16th April 2017
Bahrain Grand Prix: 18:00 (UK time: 16:00)

Previous Winners
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2011 Cancelled
2010 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2009 United Kingdom Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes
2008 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
2007 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2005 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari

Videos

2013 Alonso on board

2015 on board highlights (various)

Facts from the previous race
Lewis Hamilton’s 54th grand prix victory was also his third ‘grand slam’ of pole position, victory, fastest lap and leading every lap.

Making the result even more perfect, Hamilton set the fastest lap on his 44th tour, matching his car number. This was also the first time the race winner also set the fastest lap since last year’s Austrian Grand Prix, which was also won by Hamilton.

Only seven drivers in Formula One history have achieved this feat more than three times. One of them is the man who increasingly looks like being Hamilton’s main title rival this year, Sebastian Vettel.

Jim Clark 8, Alberto Ascari 5, Michael Schumacher 5, Jackie Stewart 4, Ayrton Senna 4, Nigel Mansell 4, Sebastian Vettel 4, Nelson Piquet 3, Lewis Hamilton 3

His victory means he has extended his winning streak of taking at least one victory in each of the 11 seasons he has raced in.

Hamilton bagged his 63rd pole position which leaves him two behind Ayrton Senna’s former record of 65. Though, as Hamilton acknowledged after qualifying, “he had a lot of pole positions with less races”. Hamilton is six behind all-time pole position king Michael Schumacher. This was Hamilton’s sixth pole position in a row, leaving him one shy of his personal best and two away from the record, which is held by Senna.

Hamilton was already the most successful driver in China and has added to his tallies, reaching six pole positions and five wins at the Shanghai track. But it’s probably still not enough to make up for that mistake in his first race here which arguably cost him the 2007 championship.

He reached the podium for the 106th time, equalling Alain Prost’s tally. He’s got a long way to go to equal Schumacher’s record of 155, however.

By leading Vettel home in China, Hamilton drew level with his rival in the points standings. The last time we had a tie at the top of the championship was after the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix when Vettel and Fernando Alonso were on 61. Vettel went on to win that year’s championship.

Mercedes marked their 150th race start with their 75th pole position – a strike rate of exactly 50% – and 65th race win. They prevented Ferrari from scoring their first back-to-back wins since 2010.

For the second race running cars from five different teams were eliminated in Q1. This time one of those drivers – Max Verstappen – went on to finish on the podium. This has only happened once before in Shanghai and it was also a Red Bull driver – Mark Webber six years ago.

Nico Hulkenberg took Renault into Q3 for the first time since the new owners took over the Lotus team at the end of 2015. The top four in Q3 lined up in the same order they did in Australia.

However a couple of mistakes during the race saw Hulkenberg pick up four penalty points. He and team mate Jolyon Palmer will have to tread carefully over the following rounds as both have at least half the penalty points needed to receive a one-race ban. Daniil Kvyat and Sebastian Vettel are in the same position.

Sergio Perez will have also need to take care over the rest of the season as he’s already picked up one reprimand in each of the first two races. One more will earn him a ten-place grid penalty.

Along with Ricciardo, Perez earned his reprimand for failing to show up at the national anthem ceremony. The stewards noted this was “not imposed for a driving infringement” but this can still count towards a grid penalty as only two of the three penalties must be for driving infringements.

If Perez does collect a third reprimand later in the year, his ten-place grid penalty will be due partly to his national anthem infraction.

Finally, Fernando Alonso’s run of Chinese Grand Prix finishes came to an end when he was forced to retire on Sunday. Prior to that he’d been classified in every race at Shanghai since 2004, and had only been lapped once.

Current Standings
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

Post by Big Kev »

Cracking race so far.

Radio message of the day
Alonso - I have never raced with less power in my life!
My Flickr Stream
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

It was a good, but tiring race for me haha. 1am is too late for this old monkey.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That's why I just watched the 6 min highlight package. 1 am is too late.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

Post by w00dsy »

Big Kev wrote:Cracking race so far.

Radio message of the day
Alonso - I have never raced with less power in my life!
Alonso is really starting to shit me with his complaining. He said he was getting passed by people from 300m back, which is a complete lie. He was running with the Torro Rosso and Renault and wasn't losing much to them. He's gotta stop publicly slagging off the people who put their hand in their pocket to give him 30million a year and convinced McLaren that he was worth taking another chance with. I can't recall a single driver that had complained as much as him.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Also what was Sainz thinking, it was exactly the same as Maldonado coming out of the pits and tipping Guitierrez over a few years back.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

So apparently there was nothing wrong with Alonsos car, he made it up.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

So he's a true racer then :D
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I thought it was a terrific race. Except for that cheating c**t Hamilton.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

w00dsy wrote:So apparently there was nothing wrong with Alonsos car, he made it up.
That might be a bit of clever thinking on his part because I think they can change engines without a penalty if they stop in the race but not during the race weekend. So the opportunity would be there for an update without a grid penalty.
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Very entertaining race especially after the Chinese borefest...

Hamilton's antics were a disgrace & I agree with you Norbs, he knew exactly what he was doing & deserved the penalty.
Stupid thing is in hindsight it made no difference to the end result & he should have just stacked behind Bo77as.

I found it strange how much of the commentary focused on Bo77as rear tyre issue during the first stint but he didn't really have the pace to match Hammy & Seb during the whole race.
As Anthony Davidson said his setup seemed to be very pointy & lack rear grip all weekend & probably cost him race pace in place of ensuring a good Qual time.

The issues with RBR seemed very strange, Max losing his rear brakes was unfortunate as I reckon he had it in him to keep up with the leaders, to have the failure so early is also strange.
Poor Dani Ric, what the hell was going on not being able to switch the Soft tyres on at one of the hotter GP races there is in the calendar?

Just on tyres, does anyone else find it wrong that Pirelli themselves said the soft tyre could go 40 laps? I know we have Super & Ultra Soft compounds but 40 laps on Softs anywhere seems too durable. Remember the days of so called "Soft" Qually tyres that lasted only 1 lap, the descriptions seems very counter intuitive these days. :rolleyes:

Force India are again punching above their weight which is great to see, love those pink cars. :D
Esteban Ocon sure looks to be a very handy driver, very consistent at least. Sergio Perez too, I wonder if he will ever get a chance at aonther top level seat...?

What the hell was Sainz thinking but damn the radio chat was funny. :nod:

Oh McLaren & Alonso... It's great entertainment but I fear Alonso will get so frustrated he will leave maybe even giving up on his F1 dream of 3 DWC's. It would be a shame as I still rate him as one of the best pure race drivers I have seen.

Onto Ruski territory but I fear it will be another borefest. :(
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Duke wrote: What the hell was Sainz thinking but damn the radio chat was funny. :nod:

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote:Very entertaining race especially after the Chinese borefest...

Hamilton's antics were a disgrace & I agree with you Norbs, he knew exactly what he was doing & deserved the penalty.
Stupid thing is in hindsight it made no difference to the end result & he should have just stacked behind Bo77as.

I found it strange how much of the commentary focused on Bo77as rear tyre issue during the first stint but he didn't really have the pace to match Hammy & Seb during the whole race.
As Anthony Davidson said his setup seemed to be very pointy & lack rear grip all weekend & probably cost him race pace in place of ensuring a good Qual time.

The issues with RBR seemed very strange, Max losing his rear brakes was unfortunate as I reckon he had it in him to keep up with the leaders, to have the failure so early is also strange.
Poor Dani Ric, what the hell was going on not being able to switch the Soft tyres on at one of the hotter GP races there is in the calendar?

Just on tyres, does anyone else find it wrong that Pirelli themselves said the soft tyre could go 40 laps? I know we have Super & Ultra Soft compounds but 40 laps on Softs anywhere seems too durable. Remember the days of so called "Soft" Qually tyres that lasted only 1 lap, the descriptions seems very counter intuitive these days. :rolleyes:

Force India are again punching above their weight which is great to see, love those pink cars. :D
Esteban Ocon sure looks to be a very handy driver, very consistent at least. Sergio Perez too, I wonder if he will ever get a chance at aonther top level seat...?

What the hell was Sainz thinking but damn the radio chat was funny. :nod:

Oh McLaren & Alonso... It's great entertainment but I fear Alonso will get so frustrated he will leave maybe even giving up on his F1 dream of 3 DWC's. It would be a shame as I still rate him as one of the best pure race drivers I have seen.

Onto Ruski territory but I fear it will be another borefest. :(

Re Hamilton's penalty. How do they determine it? What would have happened if the few seconds he slowed down Ricciardo, meant that Ricciardo was then stuck behind 3 or 4 cars that he may have come out in front of had it not been for Hamilton's blocking? That 5 seconds would have meant nothing to the red Bull car.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It should have been a drive through as he did impede another car, no matter which driver does it.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

The 5 Secs did seem a light penalty especially if you watch the post race footage as Hamilton was already slowing & holding up Dan before the last turn not just on the main straight/pit entry.

Great cartoon w00sdy, made me lol.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Duke wrote: Just on tyres, does anyone else find it wrong that Pirelli themselves said the soft tyre could go 40 laps? I know we have Super & Ultra Soft compounds but 40 laps on Softs anywhere seems too durable. Remember the days of so called "Soft" Qually tyres that lasted only 1 lap, the descriptions seems very counter intuitive these days. :rolleyes:
I think Pirelli are between a rock and a hard place. They get asked to make tyres that degrade a lot so they do and then the cars are screwed after 4 laps and have to back off so now they're asked to make them harder and they do but now it means they only 1-stop. I guess it's not easy to make a tyre that lasts 25 hard laps and then goes off quite quickly meaning 2 stops per car. The only other way to necessitate a pit stop with tyres that last well is to bring back refuelling.

The compounds have moved up a step every year for the past 2-3 years so what used to be a hard is now actually a super-soft (I think! - might have that the wrong way round). When the ultra soft was introduced they talked about it only being used at Monaco but in reality I think it was used in at least 5-6 races last year.
My Flickr Stream