2017 FORMULA 1 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Sochi
Lap length 5.848km (3.634 miles)
Race laps 53
Race distance 309.745km (192.467 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’40.896 (Valtteri Bottas, 2014)
Fastest lap 1’38.338 (Lewis Hamilton, 2014, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 343.1kph (213.192 mph)
DRS zone/s (race)
Distance from grid to turn one 844m
Full throttle 50%
Longest flat-out section 1073m
Downforce level Medium
Fuel use per lap 1.84kg

UK Times
Friday 28th April 2017
Russian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Russian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 29th April 2017
Russian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Russian Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 30th April 2017
Russian Grand Prix: 15:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Videos

2015 Rosberg on board

Vettel vs Kvyat 2016

Facts from the previous race

With two wins and a second place from the first three races of the 2017 F1 season, Sebastian Vettel has made the best start to a championship for a Ferrari driver in 13 years.

Not since Michael Schumacher swept to victory in the first three races of 2004 has Ferrari been in with this good a chance of one of its drivers taking the title after three races. Schumacher’s third win came in the first ever Bahrain Grand Prix and he went on to win the next two races as well.

Vettel notched up the 44th victory of his career and his third in Bahrain. He is now tied with Fernando Alonso as the most successful driver in this race. They have both contributed to Ferrari’s five wins at this track which is the most of any team, two more than Mercedes. This was their first since Alonso’s in 2010.

Meanwhile the driver of car 44 took the 33rd fastest lap of his career. But he was beaten to pole position by his team mate in number 77.

Valtteri Bottas became the 98th different driver to qualify on pole position. This is a slightly rarer achievement than winning a race, which 106 different drivers have done. He joins Nico Hulkenberg as the only other driver in F1 today to have started a race from pole but never won one.

The last Finnish driver to start a race from pole position was Heikki Kovalainen in the 2008 British Grand Prix. A Finn also started the previous race from pole: the 2008 French Grand Prix was Raikkonen’s last start from the sharp end.

That was Raikkonen’s 128th grand prix start. Last weekend was his 254th, so if he doesn’t take pole at Sochi or the Circuit de Catalunya he will have gone without a pole for the last half of his career.

Bottas continued his 100% record of out-qualifying his team mate in Bahrain and ended Hamilton’s run of six consecutive pole positions, which he began last year. The all-time record remains Ayrton Senna’s eight poles in a row, but Hamilton came close to beating it. Had Nico Rosberg not out-qualified him by 0.013 seconds at Suzuka last year, and Bottas by 0.023 seconds on Saturday, this would have been Hamilton’s record-breaking ninth pole in a row.

Mercedes continued their run of consecutive pole positions, reaching 18 in a row. That leaves them five short of their previous best and six behind the all-time record, set by Williams from 1992 to 1993. It was also the 30th consecutive race featuring at least one Mercedes on the front row.

For the third race running, drivers from five different teams were eliminated in Q1. None of them drove for Renault, who got both their cars into Q3 for the first time as a team since Belgium 2015 (as Lotus). The last time two Renaults appeared in Q3 was the 2011 Korean Grand Prix, when Bruno Senna and Vitaly Petrov were the team’s drivers.

Renault’s Jolyon Palmer made it into Q3 for the first time in his F1 career. However he remains one of four drivers who entered every race who haven’t out-qualified their team mate yet. The others are Raikkonen, Stoffel Vandoorne and Lance Stroll.

It’s been a tough but brief first three races for the Williams driver. Stroll has done fewer racing laps in three grands prix than Pascal Wehrlein has in one. The highest position he’s occupied in a race is 13th, but team mate Felipe Massa has run higher than that in 145 of his 169 racing laps so far.

Stroll is yet to see the chequered flag as well. The same goes for Fernando Alonso, though he was at least classified when he retired his car on Sunday. Whether his MCL32 was healthy enough to complete the final laps is another matter.

Alonso made headlines ahead of the race by announcing his plans to compete in the Indianapolis 500. He hasn’t managed 500 racing miles at the wheel of his McLaren yet: he totalled 737.551 kilometres (458.268 miles) over the first three races of the season.

Both Force Indias did reach the finish and did so in the points. Sergio Perez took his 13th points finish in a row, giving him one of the longest streaks of any driver whose never won the championship. Daniel Riccairdo’s 17 in a row ended when his car broke down in Australia. Perhaps more impressively, Carlos Reutemann managed 15 in a row back when points were only awarded down to sixth place.

Esteban Ocon took his third points finish in a row, all of which have come from tenth place. That is at least preferable to the record of another Esteban, Gutierrez, who ended last year point-less having finished eleventh five times.

Eleventh place was taken by Pascal Wehrlein as he made a successful return from injury which included out-qualifying his new Sauber team mate Marcus Ericsson by more than half a second. His race pace was not as quick as he was the only driver to run a one-stop strategy. However he demonstrated consistency by setting the same quickest time on two different laps.

Current Standings
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by Duke »

Fingers crossed this isn't another Rusky borefest of a race.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I bet it is!
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Montey

Post by Montey »

I know at least one movie Master Kvyat hasn't watched...

- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

He's trolling Vettel over comments about his T1 antics last year. It was at China where Vettel said he "came like a torpedo", but Sochi was where Kvyat took him out.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Let the grid penalties begin!! :)
Stoffel Vandoorne suffered an engine problem at the end of the first session which required a change of power-unit.

That has resulted in the Belgian receiving a 15-place grid penalty because he has already used too many of the six constituent parts of the engine. Vandoorne is now on his fifth turbocharger and fifth MGU-H, the part of the hybrid system that recovers energy from the turbo, when only four changes are permitted in the entire 20-round season.
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Well Grosjean fucked that up and killed what might have been an interesting few opening laps.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Lats time Hamilton was out qualified twice in a row?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Dont know. Bottas is starting to tighten up
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by w00dsy »

norbs wrote:Lats time Hamilton was out qualified twice in a row?
Germany and Belgium last year.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

great end :)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I know it's silly but I've been wishing Bottas got to show his potential from this gif. Finally!

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

And that's the kind of track Liberty need to kick in the knackers.

4 years and 4 races where nothing happened. Get rid.
My Flickr Stream
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yep agreed, another Russian Snooze fest..
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Highlight of the race was Kimi not knowing who was leading. 'how did I get behind Bottas'
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Fell asleep in the race... Listening to 5 Live on the way into work they mentioned zero overtakes.

Glad I fell asleep now.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

KNAPPO wrote:Fell asleep in the race... Listening to 5 Live on the way into work they mentioned zero overtakes.

Glad I fell asleep now.
Was a boring race, the last half a dozen laps were somewhat interesting. If this track was to disappear from the championship, I doubt many would even notice.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Bring back turkey for gods sake
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

TIMMY30 wrote:Bring back turkey for gods sake
Apparently that might be on the cards. Great track but zero crowds is what killed that one.
My Flickr Stream
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

0 overtakes mayaswell just give points out on Saturday. The race felt like it had promise but never kinda got great

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

At least 2 overtakes if 3 qualifier wins the race

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yes, they were done in the first 500m of the race. Botas got a Ripper start.
eek
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I was out so recorded this and ended up fast forwarding almost all of it. It was weird how the cars looked quite slow on this track even at 2x speed.

I stopped fast forwarding when Vettel started gaining on Bottas and was chuffed to see Bottas holding on to it. Be nice for somebody to give Hamilton a shock but the jury's still out on whether that'll happen, given Hamilton's car problems.