Targa Tasmania 2017

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Bauer

Targa Tasmania 2017

Post by Bauer »

Thought I would share a bit of a story on Targa this year. In years gone by I have done support crew duties but this year was a bit different

I was asked to fill the passengers seat of a Tour Leader car. The 'tour' is a non competition part of Targa allowing for spirited driving on the same closed roads as full competition but are restricted to 120kph and have no need for motorsport type safety equipmment (no cage, helmets etc)

Little did I know that a cap of 120kph means nothing when you often dont get near that speed as you are hurtling through the tight twisty roads that are on show in Tassie. I was blown away by how quick we we going, not that I was expecting to be cruising either.

Anyway, it was an endurance to do 6 days of that with many stages in each day to go through. In the tour, which had about 70 cars, we only lost 1. A 911 hit a bridge or something.

As for the Tour Leader group I was with, we had 3 Sciroccos, 2 Golf R's and an Audi TT that looked like it had a snow plough on the front. We each had a 'packet' of cars to look after both from an operational aspect as well as the fun element. We started off with a general tour packet and ended up, after an off to a Golf R on day 3, leading the Lotus tour for the week. Happy to report the Lotus guys loved us.

Anyway, some pics of my fun week

My ride

Some of the general tour cars

The Lotus tour

Our view all too often towards the end of a stage as we came up behind the slower Fezza from the Fezza tour

My trusted driver Lou and I with our TT finishing medallions

The tour group. All had a great time
--------------
Stu
Jamo

Re: Targa Tasmania 2017

Post by Jamo »

Fucking great stuff Stud!
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah looks amazing! Super jealous. I hope I can make it down there for a tour at some point.

I'd love to try and make it to the high country tour this year but not sure if I'll have the cash. I imagine you'd have to start organising it nowish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Excellent stuff! It's definitely an endurance event, being able to switch your concentration on and off is big asset.

Half price entry for first-time competitors at Targa Tas next year: https://targa.com.au/tc/page_standard.a ... t_id=29778
:teach:
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Cool..great stuff.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

VTRacing wrote:Excellent stuff! It's definitely an endurance event, being able to switch your concentration on and off is big asset.

Half price entry for first-time competitors at Targa Tas next year: https://targa.com.au/tc/page_standard.a ... t_id=29778
Oh man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Awesome stuff!
Luigi only likes Ferraris.