2017 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Catalunya
Lap length 4.361km (2.71 miles)
Race laps 70
Race distance 305.27km (189.686 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’13.622 (Rubens Barrichello, 2004)
Fastest lap 1’12.275 (Ralf Schumacher, 2004, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 309kph (192.004 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and back straight
Distance from grid to turn one 280m
Full throttle 59%
Longest flat-out section 1190m
Downforce level Medium
Gear changes per lap 50
Fuel use per lap 1.5kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.03s
Pit lane time loss 17.9s

UK Times
Friday 9th June 2017
Canadian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 15:00-16:30)
Canadian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 19:00-20:30)
Saturday 10th June 2017
Canadian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 10:00-11:00 (UK time: 15:00-16:00)
Canadian Grand Prix Qualifying: 13:00 (UK time: 18:00)
Sunday 11th June 2017
Canadian Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 19:00)

Previous Winners
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 Australia Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2011 United Kingdom Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
2010 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2009 Not held
2008 Poland Robert Kubica BMW Sauber
2007 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2001 Germany Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW
2000 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari

Videos

Trulli 2003 wet on board

Schumacher 1992 on board

Facts from the previous race

Ferrari ended a 16-year losing streak in Monaco. With his 45th career victory, Sebastian Vettel took another step towards emulating his hero Michael Schumacher by becoming the team’s latest champion.

Fittingly, 20 years ago it was Schumacher who ended a 16-year win-less streak for Ferrari in the Principality. His 1997 win was their first since Gilles Villeneuve did the honours in 1981.

It was a weekend for streaks coming to a close. Kimi Raikkonen took his 16th career pole position having waited almost nine years since his last one in the 2008 French Grand Prix.

He’d gone 3,262 days without starting from the front. On that day he also lost the win to his team mate who started alongside him on the front row – on that occasion it was due to an exhaust problem on his car.

Raikkonen broke the record for the longest gap between pole positions. Mario Andretti waited 2,940 days between his pole positions at Watkins Glen in 1968 and Fuji in 1976. That was a gap of 108 races, a wait which Giancarlo Fisichella equalled between his pole positions at the A1 Ring in 1998 and Melbourne in 2005. But Raikkonen’s 129-race wait – more than half the length of his career to date – beat both of them.

For the first time in 21 races there was no Mercedes driver on the podium. Their last run of podium finishes began in Monaco last year, one race after Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg took each other out on the first lap of the Spanish Grand Prix.

Another streak which ended was Sergio Perez’s 15 consecutive points finishes – his personal best. Team mate Esteban Ocon also failed to score for the first time this year. It was Force India’s first no-score since last year’s Austrian Grand Prix, when both cars retired.

A consolation for Perez was that he set a new fastest race lap for this configuration of the Monaco layout. But his 1’14.820 was a few tenths off Schumacher’s 1’14.439, set during the 2004 race. Raikkonen’s pole position time was a new outright course record.

It was Ferrari’s first pole position in Monaco since Felipe Massa’s in 2008. But Vettel’s victory means the last three Monaco Grands Prix have all been won by someone other than the pole sitter.

Vettel has now finished all of the first six races inside the top two places. The last driver to do this was Nico Rosberg in 2014 – in fact he made it to eight races, but wasn’t able to win the title that year.

Fernando Alonso’s absence opened the door for Jenson Button to return and start his 306th grand prix. He has now started as many races as Schumacher and only Rubens Barrichello, on 322, has amassed more starts.

During his sojourn to the States Alonso led a race for the first time since the 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix. He spent 27 laps in the lead, the third-highest of any driver in the race. Max Chilton led 50 (one-quarter of the race distance) and finished fourth while Alonso’s team mate Ryan Hunter-Reay led 28 before also retiring with a Honda engine failure. Race winner Takuma Sato led 17 laps and set the fastest lap, averaging 364.018kph (226.190mph).

Alonso’s absence also means Nico Hulkenberg and Felipe Massa are now the only drivers to have out-qualified their team mate at every round. Stoffel Vandoorne, Jolyon Palmer and Lance Stroll have failed to out-qualify their team mates at all of this year’s races.

Finally, while Mercedes failed to make it to the podium their places were taken by the other two ‘big three’ teams. Such is their collective domination of F1 that not only have none of the other teams taken a podium finish yet, none of them have completed a lap with one of their cars inside the top three.

Current Standings

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA

Post by Duke »

Love this race but hate the time it's on for us Aussies... At least it's a long weekend for us. Happy B'day Queeny!!!
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Ouch.
Honda's promised engine upgrade is not ready. Zak Brown sounds mightily pissed at that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40196307
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I can see them going back to Mercedes at this rate. It's way beyond a joke now.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Trouble is the point of leaving Merc was to get an exclusive deal to increase the chances of a title. They won't do that if they go back so you kind of think there isn't much point in moving. What they really need is another manufacturer to come in but I can't see many candidates for that. There have long been rumours of Audi but I think Red Bull have a foot in the door there although I'm not sure how that would sit with their Aston Martin tie ups. Ford have said no. Nissan and Toyota don't show any signs of interest and neither do BMW. Not many other options left.
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

But going back to Merc might show that the chassis is good and entice another engine manufacturer to come on board. They seem damned if they do, damned if they don't. They did have a good relationship with Merc for a long time and they would be the second team Merc team, if all goes well, but surely thats better than what they have now.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Modifications have been made to Circuit Gilles Villeneuve for this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix. Large sections of guardrail have been replaced by wall blocks, each fitted with new debris fences of varying height. A new debris fence has also been installed on the wall on the driver's right between Turn 14 and the finish line and the gravel around the outside of Turn Eight has been replaced by asphalt. Similarly the Grass-Crete around the outside of Turn 13 has also been replaced by asphalt.
My Flickr Stream
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Whats the bet Lewis has already rubbed his knob on Sennas helmet. Clearly he's going to become the all time pole record holder, he's only 3 behind Schumacher. Unless of course he replicates Sennas other achievement. But it's interesting to see Senna, Schumacher and Hamiltons poles compared.

Senna = 65 poles, 161 races = 40.3%
Lewis = 65 poles, 194 races, 33.5%
Schumacher = 68 poles, 306 races, 22.2%
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Big Kev wrote:Trouble is the point of leaving Merc was to get an exclusive deal to increase the chances of a title. They won't do that if they go back so you kind of think there isn't much point in moving. What they really need is another manufacturer to come in but I can't see many candidates for that. There have long been rumours of Audi but I think Red Bull have a foot in the door there although I'm not sure how that would sit with their Aston Martin tie ups. Ford have said no. Nissan and Toyota don't show any signs of interest and neither do BMW. Not many other options left.
I suspect the Audi / Red Bull tie up was very very close but then Dieselgate happened, the poo hit the fan and it all got cancelled at the last minute. Given Audi's withdraw from LeMans and their push into Formula E I would think that ship has sailed now.
XLV SPORT
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Jiminee wrote:
Big Kev wrote:Trouble is the point of leaving Merc was to get an exclusive deal to increase the chances of a title. They won't do that if they go back so you kind of think there isn't much point in moving. What they really need is another manufacturer to come in but I can't see many candidates for that. There have long been rumours of Audi but I think Red Bull have a foot in the door there although I'm not sure how that would sit with their Aston Martin tie ups. Ford have said no. Nissan and Toyota don't show any signs of interest and neither do BMW. Not many other options left.
I suspect the Audi / Red Bull tie up was very very close but then Dieselgate happened, the poo hit the fan and it all got cancelled at the last minute. Given Audi's withdraw from LeMans and their push into Formula E I would think that ship has sailed now.
Yes but Audi have been invited to the next F1 engine discussions.

Interestingly, on the Sky coverage Damon Hill said that when these hybrid rules were drawn up the manufacturers were in because it was about developing for road car tech but the game has moved on now and road cars are looking more likely to be autonomous, electric or mildly hybrid with simple recovery or battery assistance models. The current F1 tech is no longer relevant to that so the favoured next proposal is 1.6 twin turbo and KERS, and that's it. Simple, cheap and relevant. If that happens there's a good prospect of a non-manufacturer getting in on the game such as Cosworth, where Zak Brown happens to be on the board of directors. Stir that in the rumour pot :)
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Great race by the way!

Force India screwed themselves. Perez should have let Ocon through. He was on for a podium there.
My Flickr Stream
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

The big thing is, what do McLaren want.. I actually think they aren't in the worse situation as long as Honda stick around. They can run around with one of the best drivers, give him time to go do things like Indy/LeMan's if thats what you want and any lack of performance you blame on Honda.

Going back to Merc will just likely put them someplace in the middle of the pack and nothing to hide behind, and we have recent history to prove that. Coming into 2014 they had the best engine, A world champion in Button + another prospect and got smashed by Williams and almost beaten by Force India.

What modern history do we have to prove that McLaren have it? They haven't had a good season since they came 3rd in 2012. 2013>17 has been unimpressive and its not all the engine
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Not a bad race considering Loois would have been so dehydrated before it.

Good come back from Seb. DanRic had a solid race. That fucking start from Maximillion!!!

Agreed Kev, Force India waited and lacked someone to say to Pezman to "get the fuck out of the way!".

Alonso in the stand taking selfies LOL
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Chocolate Senna does it again.