2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:I will take a look at my IQ recording too.
Let us know, I hadn't had a chance to double check how long the brake application was for. At first I thought he was riding the brakes but the throttle has no green bar in it.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I wonder why that wasn't on the other video that was on youtube. I would have thought it was all the same feed.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I agree Woodsy, you would have thought to include it to illustrate the incident...

Had to chuckle at Hamilton complaining to Charlie about the SC being too slow and causing accidents.
On the restart prep he goes slower than the SC and causes all hell to brake loose!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Wow do we actually know if the graphic data is taken from real telemetry? Could it be via GPS data because full brake application at that speed would have surely been more noticeable?
KNAPPO wrote:Had to chuckle at Hamilton complaining to Charlie about the SC being too slow and causing accidents.
On the restart prep he goes slower than the SC and causes all hell to brake loose!
To be fair the leader has to slow to let the SC go so not to pass it before the 1st SC line. I'm sure it was part of his restart strategy to slow down through that corner to back up the field, I guess whether you think that's in the spirit of the game is open to interpretation. For me Hammy risks just as much from brake checking so again I don''t think any of this was deliberate.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Duke wrote:Wow do we actually know if the graphic data is taken from real telemetry? Could it be via GPS data because full brake application at that speed would have surely been more noticeable?

No idea but it raises a very good question considering the FIA said Hamilton did not brake.
I didnt think GPS would show braking data, isnt it simply location positioning unless other sensors are hooked up to the system.

Duke wrote:To be fair the leader has to slow to let the SC go so not to pass it before the 1st SC line. I'm sure it was part of his restart strategy to slow down through that corner to back up the field, I guess whether you think that's in the spirit of the game is open to interpretation. For me Hammy risks just as much from brake checking so again I don''t think any of this was deliberate.
Agreed, a restart would have never been on at that point in the track anyway given the massive long main straight just down the road. I think Seb didnt want to get caught out as per previous restarts and tried to stay as close as possible and got caught out. Even on the restart after the red flag there were a lot of slowing up games and waving going on in the run to the restart.

Is there a maximum gap the leader has to leave the SC on restarts? I recall Seb copping a drive thru in Hungry 2010 for playing games behind the SC on a restart that netted Webber a win.

Either way, its really spiced up the DWC. :)
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I stopped caring about the incident once I knew Dan the man was in first.

But it spices it up nicely from now on.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I was always under the impression that the leader had to maintain speed once the SC lights were out. I wouldn't call that maintaining speed
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

KNAPPO wrote:
Is there a maximum gap the leader has to leave the SC on restarts? I recall Seb copping a drive thru in Hungry 2010 for playing games behind the SC on a restart that netted Webber a win.

Either way, its really spiced up the DWC. :)

It's maximum 10 car lengths while behind the safety car but I think once they are about to restart it is up to the leader to dictate the pace. Vettel got in trouble at Hungary for not keeping up with it under normal conditions. Either way this is 100% Vettels fault, the driver behind always has the duty of care to not hit the car in front. If he can't react in time at 60kph then it's because he wasn't concentrating. It's not like the brakes on these things are bad, people drive road cars that close in peak hour traffic and stop in time.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

w00dsy wrote:Either way this is 100% Vettels fault, the driver behind always has the duty of care to not hit the car in front.
Yep, if anyone did this on the road the vehicle behind would be at fault. Pulling up alongside and giving the other car a whack is very NASCAR, first time I think ive seen it in F1.

Good to see some passion and emotion back in the sport.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Apparently the on screen graphics are not connected to the car telemetry so the apparent braking is not in the telemetry the FIA looked at to make its decision.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I'm still tired from being up watching this. I kept wanting to crash out and something would happen.

Very entertaining race, and go Dan!!
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

:rofl:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Just a heads up, my interwebs at home have broken so I might be a bit late with the Austrian GP topic.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream