2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Baku City Circuit
Lap length 6.003km (3.73 miles)
Race laps 51
Race distance 306.051km (190.171 miles)
Distance from grid to turn one 330m
Full throttle 49%
Gear changes per lap 78
Fuel use per lap 1.96kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.32s
Pit lane time loss 23.4s

UK Times
Friday 23rd June 2017
Azerbaijani Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 13:00-14:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
Azerbaijani Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 17:00-18:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 24th June 2017
Azerbaijani Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 14:00-15:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Azerbaijani Grand Prix Qualifying: 17:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 25th June 2017
Azerbaijani Grand Prix: 17:00 (UK time: 14:00)

Previous Winners
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes (European GP)

Videos

Rosberg on board 2016

Facts from the previous race

This was Lewis Hamilton’s sixth victory in the Canadian Grand Prix. It’s the race he’s won more times than any other, and a seventh win will tie him with Michael Schumacher as the most successful driver of all time in this race.

This was his first ‘grand slam’ at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Hamilton won the race from pole, leading all the way and setting the fastest lap. Despite having had very dominant machinery at his disposal for the last three years, two of Hamilton’s four ‘grand slams’ were achieved this season (the other was in China).

He and title rival Sebastian Vettel have the most ‘grand slams’ of any active driver with four. They are tied with Jackie Stewart, Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell. Only Jim Clark (eight), Alberto Ascari and Michael Schumacher (five each) have more.

Hamilton’s win also meant Mercedes took their first one-two finish of the season.

Saturday was all about one big statistical milestone: Lewis Hamilton equalling Ayrton Senna’s tally of 65 pole positions.

This stood as the outright record for most pole positions from Senna’s final pole position on that fateful San Marino Grand Prix weekend in 1994 until Michael Schumacher surpassed it at the same track 12 years later. Schumacher pushed the record on to 68.

But their strike rates were very different. Schumacher took 68 poles from 306 races, a 22.2% strike rate, whereas Senna took pole in 40.4% of the races he started (65 from 161). Hamilton’s rate is closer to Senna’s than Schumacher’s. He has taken pole for exactly one-third of his starts (33.3%, 65 from 195).

This was Hamilton’s third consecutive pole position in Canada. He also took pole for his first three races at this track in 2007, 2008 and 2010 (there was no Canadian Grand Prix in 2009). Sebastian Vettel then produced a hat-trick of his own from 2011 to 2013.

That means since Hamilton and Vettel came into the sport ten years ago the only driver besides them to take pole in Canada is the now-retired Nico Rosberg. They also shared the front row of the grid for the fourth time in seven races so far this year. On each of those occasions Hamilton was on pole.

Vettel’s disappointing race meant his 100% record of top-two finishes and podiums ended. However three drivers continued their 100% records against their team mates in qualifying: Fernando Alonso, Nico Hulkenberg and Felipe Massa.

Although Lance Stroll was beaten by his team mate again he did manage to bring his car home in the points. The last time a driver took the first points of his career in his home race was five years ago, when Daniel Ricciardo also finished ninth for Toro Rosso in Australia.

Stroll is the third Canadian driver in the history of the sport to score a point and the only one not to come from the Villeneuve family. However there are three other Canadian drivers who scored top ten finishes in the days before points were awarded for those places: Peter Broeker (seventh, 1963 United States Grand Prix), George Eaton (tenth, 1970 Canadian Grand Prix) and Peter Ryan (ninth, 1961 United States Grand Prix).

At 18 years and 230 days old, Stroll is the second-youngest driver of all time to score a point in F1. However he’s over a year older than record-holder Max Verstappen, who was 17 years and 184 days old when he took seventh in the 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix.

For much of the race Esteban Ocon looked set to improve on his career-best finish of fifth. He didn’t but he did become the first driver not in a Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull to run as high as second place.

Current Standings

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

Post by Dr. Pain »

70 penalty points for Mclaren this weekend. 40 for Alonso and 30 for Vandoorne. They may as well call a early summer and come back in Spa in August rather than have 70 grid spot penalties!
Minister for Religious Genocide.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

You're expecting them to finish the race?
pab

Post by pab »

wabbit wrote:You're expecting them to finish qualifying?
Fixed for you.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

To finish either is a victory to them atm
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Go Vettel, fucking hit him again!
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Go Dani!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

what a cracking event.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :vibes:

What a shit hot night of racing. First the Doctor now Dani Ric :)
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Double shoey time
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Stewards decided that what Vettel did was potentially dangerous and thus the 10 second stop/go penalty.
Also 3 penalty points on his license - taking him to 9. Another 3 and a race ban comes his way. He will drop 2 points at Silverstone though as they will be a year old.
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I didn't see a single lap of last year's event, and I remember reading it was pretty tedious so I didn't have high expectations for this. Turns out it was bloody great :D

Great win for DR, always nice to see him up there. Vettel going full Maldonado on Hamilton was extraordinary.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

There's always a point in the season where it turns nasty and it's now gloves off.

That was it! :)
Bring on the next race!
My Flickr Stream
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

FIA says data showed Hamilton didn't brake or lift completely when Vettel hit him. I think he just caught him off guard.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:FIA says data showed Hamilton didn't brake or lift completely when Vettel hit him. I think he just caught him off guard.
Would the recovery system help brake the car? From the overhead it looked like he slowed after the apex. Considering he was going down hill..... :vibes:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Interesting outcome from the FIA considering the onscreen tv graphics show him shedding kph post apex and at one stage the brake application graphic was red.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:Interesting outcome from the FIA considering the onscreen tv graphics show him shedding kph post apex and at one stage the brake application graphic was red.

So it wasn't just me then?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:
w00dsy wrote:FIA says data showed Hamilton didn't brake or lift completely when Vettel hit him. I think he just caught him off guard.
Would the recovery system help brake the car? From the overhead it looked like he slowed after the apex. Considering he was going down hill..... :vibes:
I PMSL when all that happened, Vettel turned the colour of his car with rage.
Recovery system wasn't activated at that time as Hammy's rear light wasn't flashing but it certainly looked like Hammy slowed either by braking or by lifting off & coasting. I also think Vettel got caught out as he was so worried about getting swamped by T1 so was staying too close to Hamilton.
Also I don't think Vettel meant to hit Hammy intentionally, I just think he was so enraged he lost sight of where his car was headed after taking one hand off the wheel.

But at least it was an entertaining race but only cause they couldn't stop hitting each other. :lol:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote: I PMSL when all that happened, Vettel turned the colour of his car with rage.
Recovery system wasn't activated at that time as Hammy's rear light wasn't flashing, Vettel just got caught out as he was so worried about getting swamped by T1.
Also I don't think Vettel meant to hit Hammy intentionally, I just think he was so enraged he lost sight of where his car was headed after taking one hand off the wheel.

But at least it was an entertaining race but only cause they couldn't stop hitting each other. :lol:

Vettel reminded me of Shumi (god rest his brain) when he and Boxhead (DC) hit at Spa (??) in the rain and he went troppo.

I want perspex clear helmets now so we can clearly see their faces. Vettel would have looked like a man about to go on a rampage. loois would have been doing checking his piercing after the bump.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Where did you guys see his brake come on, because it's not on this.
norbs

Post by norbs »

It looked like he slowed after the corner from the overhead shot. But that is only the second time i have seen it. It may have been because the camera was tracking Vettel's car now that I have watched it a couple of times.

Knappo said "considering the onscreen tv graphics show him shedding kph post apex and at one stage the brake application graphic was red." What is the brake application graphic? Is that on live timing app or something?
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

F1 hasnt showed the onscreen graphics since the live footage. All replays seem to have them removed.

These two screenshots were taken from the live feed. You can see in the top pic that into the corner he was doing 68kph. Bottom pic is post apex (not yet fully out of the corner) and he has dropped to 52kph, on the brakes and zero throttle application.

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs

Post by norbs »

norbs

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:F1 hasnt showed the onscreen graphics since the live footage. All replays seem to have them removed.

These two screenshots were taken from the live feed. You can see in the top pic that into the corner he was doing 68kph. Bottom pic is post apex (not yet fully out of the corner) and he has dropped to 52kph, on the brakes and zero throttle application.

Nice one. I will take a look at my IQ recording too. Thanks Knappo.