2017 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX

Post by norbs »

They need...

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Tracks don't want grass or gravel due to maintenance etc and astro turf comes loose. I think someone could make a decent chunk of change coming up with a low grip, hard wearing surface to put around those areas.

Only problem I had with Max's penalty is that it wasn't applied consistently. Couple drivers kept their position by running wide on corner exit, which is just as shitty.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Storm in a teacup. He passed another driver off-track. No more need be said.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
richo

Post by richo »

^^

Great pass pity it wasn't on the black stuff.Then again we got to listen to Kimi's sterling banter..
[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: RE: Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX

Post by Duke »

Cursed wrote:Storm in a teacup. He passed another driver off-track. No more need be said.
+100% agree
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They need a new high altitude camera plane with an off track deterrent, like this!

Minister for Religious Genocide.
Montey

Post by Montey »

It's one of the things about motor racing I have never understood. "Why is the line that marks the edge of the track not treated like a concrete barrier (i.e. like the wall at Monaco)?" If a driver puts a wheel, any part of a wheel, over the outer edge of the white line then they cop a 5 second penalty - instantly. I am very confident that the technology exists to put a wire on the edge of the line that would detect when a wheel is crossing it (e.g. detects the metal in the tyre). If they did this it would rule out all such moves and it would be consistent.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Montey wrote:It's one of the things about motor racing I have never understood. "Why is the line that marks the edge of the track not treated like a concrete barrier (i.e. like the wall at Monaco)?" If a driver puts a wheel, any part of a wheel, over the outer edge of the white line then they cop a 5 second penalty - instantly. I am very confident that the technology exists to put a wire on the edge of the line that would detect when a wheel is crossing it (e.g. detects the metal in the tyre). If they did this it would rule out all such moves and it would be consistent.

Don't you go and bring logic to this shitshow! :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It use to be simply because you didn't have a choice. Now all the tarmac run off's means they can use too much track and not suffer. People didn't like seeing cars go off into gravel traps and not getting out but now it's gone way too far.

Minister for Religious Genocide.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Dr. Pain wrote:It use to be simply because you didn't have a choice. Now all the tarmac run off's means they can use too much track and not suffer. People didn't like seeing cars go off into gravel traps and not getting out but now it's gone way too far.
I don't think its gone too far. This particular incident went exactly as it should have. What's more we see plenty of times where people are told to give back places when they go off track and take advantage.

My issue is with the flexible treatment of run-off areas on the outside of corners. Race control should not be making rulings on a track to track basis as to which corners they care about. Drivers should just be told to pull their heads in if they don't want to drive on the track. They probably need it explained to them that if they want walls on every critical corner it will mean more broken cars, DNFs and possibly unnecessary injury because they can't control themselves or think they're entitled to all sealed surfaces within 3 metres of the track.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX

Post by w00dsy »

Montey wrote:It's one of the things about motor racing I have never understood. "Why is the line that marks the edge of the track not treated like a concrete barrier (i.e. like the wall at Monaco)?" If a driver puts a wheel, any part of a wheel, over the outer edge of the white line then they cop a 5 second penalty - instantly. I am very confident that the technology exists to put a wire on the edge of the line that would detect when a wheel is crossing it (e.g. detects the metal in the tyre). If they did this it would rule out all such moves and it would be consistent.
The V8's do it at street tracks like Surfers. They only get so many kerb strikes in the race before they get a penalty. In qual it's automatic cancellation of their time. 2 guys lost their top 10 shootout times because they crossed the kerb at the first chicane.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I know all you Loowis haters will still watch this. Image

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I know this is dead against the laws of the internet but I've changed my mind about the Max overtake.

Although It took the shine off a brilliant drive, it was illegal and probably better they made the decision quickly so Kimi got some champagne.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Max wasn't old enough to drink in Texas anyway :D
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream