2017 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE MÉXICO

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez
Lap data
Lap length 4.304km (2.674 miles)
Race laps 71
Race distance 305.354km (189.738 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’20.521 (Nico Rosberg, 2015)
Fastest lap 1’19.480 (Nico Rosberg, 2015, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 349kph (216.858 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and longest straight
Distance from grid to turn one 890m
Full throttle 45%
Longest flat-out section 1200m
Downforce level
Gear changes per lap 52
Fuel use per lap 1.41kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.054s

UK Times
Friday 27th October 2017
Mexican Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 16:00-17:30)
Mexican Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 20:00-21:30)
Saturday 28th October 2017
Mexican Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 10:00-11:00 (UK time: 16:00-17:00)
Mexican Grand Prix Qualifying: 13:00 (UK time: 19:00)
Sunday 29th October 2017
Mexican Grand Prix: 13:00 (UK time: 19:00)

Previous Winners
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014 – 1993 Not held
1992 United Kingdom Nigel Mansell Williams-Renault
1991 Italy Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault
1990 France Alain Prost Ferrari
1989 Brazil Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda
1988 France Alain Prost McLaren-Honda
1987 United Kingdom Nigel Mansell Williams-Honda
1986 Austria Gerhard Berger Benetton-BMW

Videos

2016 highlights various onboards

Senna onboard 1992

Facts from the previous race

Lewis Hamilton only needs a fifth place from any of the remaining three races to win this year’s world championship.

The chances of him being beaten are now extremely remote. But he knows nothing can be taken for granted.

After all, ten years ago he only needed a fifth place from any of the last two races to win the championship. He didn’t get one, and Kimi Raikkonen snatched one of the most improbable title wins the sport has ever seen. In relative terms it was the biggest championship lead ever overturned in F1 history.

Hamilton tallied his 72nd pole and 62nd win. But Sebastian Vettel took the fastest lap – the 32nd of his career. Vettel’s lap of 1’37.766 is a new race lap record for the Circuit of the Americas, and the all-time track record fell in qualifying.

Neither Vettel nor anyone else have been able to contain Hamilton since the summer break. Six races have yielded five wins and a second place for the Mercedes driver, who’s only dropped seven points from a potential maximum of 150. Vettel has lost points to him every weekend since Hungary.

Hamilton’s record in the United States Grand Prix is much the same. Seven races, six wins, five at the Circuit of the Americas and the other at Indianapolis back in that unforgettable 2007 season. Fittingly for a driver who has made the USA his second home, he is now the most successful driver in America, with six United States Grand Prix wins. That moves him ahead of Michael Schumacher (five US GP wins) and Ayrton Senna (two US GP wins and three US Detroit GP wins).

Another of Schumacher’s records fell last weekend. Having already surpassed his pole positions benchmark earlier this year, Hamilton’s 117th front row start puts him ahead of Schumacher at the top of the all-time record list.

Esteban Ocon was another record-breaker on Sunday. Since he began his F1 career last year he’s been classified in all 26 races he’s started. That beats the previous best finishing streak from the start of a season set by Max Chilton. Both drivers began their careers at Manor.

Carlos Sainz Jnr made a dream debut at Renault, starting and finishing in seventh place. That result is just one place lower than their best finish of the season so far.

His move from Toro Rosso could end up costing his former team a place in the constructors’ championship. Sainz’s six points moved Renault ahead of Haas and leaves them five shy of Toro Rosso. Renault’s target team is Williams, who are a further 15 points ahead. It’s not impossible they might be caught, though Renault need fewer problems of the type which ruined Nico Hulkenberg’s weekend.

Daniel Ricciardo posted his third retirement due to a technical failure this year. He’s only had one fewer than team mate Max Verstappen, whose reliability problems have been a significant talking point.

Verstappen repeated his Chinese Grand Prix feat of starting 16th and finishing third, but only ‘on the road’. A post-race time penalty for overtaking Raikkonen with all four wheels off the track dropped him down to fourth.

Perhaps the stewards wanted to prevent the 20-year-old, who is below the legal minimum drinking age in Texas, from quaffing the podium champagne?

Current Standings

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE MÉXICO

Post by Big Kev »

Vandoorne will take his 208th grid penalty this weekend.

So far this season he's used 7 control electronics units, 7 energy stores, 9 MGU-Ks, 10 combustion engines, 12 MGU-Hs and 12 turbos. :yikes:
My Flickr Stream
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Big Kev wrote:So far this season he's used 7 control electronics units, 7 energy stores, 9 MGU-Ks, 10 combustion engines, 12 MGU-Hs and 12 turbos. :yikes:
Almost breaks FOM's graphics..

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

These rules are really keeping the development costs down then :D

Lewis has this championship in the bag doesn't he. I'm hoping for a VET win and a HAM mechanical failure just to make the last races more interesting, but I'm pretty confident he'll wrap it up today.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Helmut Marko is trying to figure out how to demote Daniil Kyvat further for the next race, to ensure a Verstappen win.
:teach:
richo

Post by richo »

Enjoyed the race but had to turn it off pretty much straight away as the who can ream Hamilton's arse competition was in full swing .

Great venue and it's awesome to see so many people thoroughly into the race , be a good one to go to .
[]D [] []v[] []D
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Hamilton just can't help himself can he

"Obviously each year I could do the easy thing which is stop and retreat like Nico did with these four titles, but I think there is more in me,"

How unnecessary was that? Rosberg wanted to emulate his dad and win the title. Once. That's what he did. Job done, retire and spend time with the family. He didn't retreat.
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Nico doesn't have to put up with his shit anymore. I think it might bug Hamilton that Nico does have a life beyond F1 and he went out on the highest of highs.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

He just comes across as a really sore loser. And that's why people think he's a cock. It's just totally unnecessary and gives a sense that he can't let it go that he got beat.
My Flickr Stream
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Dr. Pain wrote:I think it might bug Hamilton that Nico does have a life beyond F1 and he went out on the highest of highs.

I agree, Lewis has a very shallow life outside of F1 and i think it really bothers him that no matter how many titles he has he'll never have that same satisfaction that Nico had. Lewis doesn't seem to have that same family bond that Nico has, with his parents, wife and kids. For Lewis it's always random celebs at the track with him. I mean we almost never see his dad anymore.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah its funny, you see him on snapchat saying things like "I cant believe I own a jet, this is my jet".
Dont get me wrong, im sure all of us would love our own jet, but I think most people know as you get older is that stuff really as important?
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Nico and Keke now have that father/son banter that Hamilton doesn't. You know Keke will be telling Nico that "You needed to be a man to drove those cars I won in!".

As a 4 times world champion in this day and age, he suits it well. It's all show and bling but dig just under the surface and there's nothing. All the others seem to have something.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

The FIA just show in that drivers briefing that they just don't have the balls to tell the drivers and teams what's what. It's all compromise and hugs, rather than just telling them all, there is a white line, if you cross it with more than two wheels, there will be a penalty, that's it, that's the rule, shut up, don't like it, fuck off.

Wow, I just channeled some inner dictator then :rofl:
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Muppet wrote:Wow, I just channeled some inner dicktaker then :rofl:
Fixed :lol: