2017 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yas Marina Circuit
Lap data
Lap length 5.554km (3.451 miles)
Race laps 55
Race distance 305.355km (189.739 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’40.279 (Sebastian Vettel, 2009)
Fastest lap 1’38.434 (Lewis Hamilton, 2011, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 339kph (210.645 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Two straights
Distance from grid to turn one 305m
Full throttle 59%
Longest flat-out section 1233m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 56
Fuel use per lap 1.82kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.04s

UK Times
Friday 24th November 2017
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 13:00-14:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 17:00-18:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 25th November 2017
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 14:00-15:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Qualifying: 17:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 26th November 2017
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: 17:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Lotus-Renault
2011 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2010 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2009 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault

Videos

Vettel 2009 on board

2016 onboard race edit

Facts from the previous race

Kimi Raikkonen notched up his seventh podium finish of the season in Brazil. But while team mate Sebastian Vettel won the race, his fifth victory this year, it’s been a win-less campaign so far for the 2007 world champion.

Raikkonen hasn’t stood on the top step of the podium since the opening race of 2013. Since then he’s made 21 visits to the podium, all in second or third position. This is a record, five more than any other driver in F1 history.

Raikkonen’s podium was the 91st of his career. Vettel scored his 98th, which moves him ahead of Fernando Alonso into fourth place on the all-time list.

It was Vettel’s 47th win and it means Ferrari now have 47 more wins than F1’s next most successful team, McLaren. It was their 11th Brazilian Grand Prix win, one less than the record which is held by McLaren.

This was the eighth race Mercedes failed to win this year. Though they’re still the team to beat it’s another sign that the fourth year of the V6 hybrid turbo regulations has been the toughest yet for them: They’ve lost as many races in 2017 as they did in 2014, 2015 and 2016 combined.

Vettel added to his collection of near-misses on Saturday when Valtteri Bottas beat him to pole position by 38 thousandths of a second. He also narrowly missed pole in Spain (by 0.051s to Lewis Hamilton), Monaco (by 0.043s to Raikkonen) and 0.042s in Austria (to Bottas).

Bottas therefore took the third pole position of his career, giving him as many as Jose Froilan Gonzalez, Tony Brooks, Dan Gurney, Jean-Pierre Jarier, Jody Scheckter, Elio de Angelis and Teo Fabi.

Max Verstappen took the fastest lap of the race, establishing a new lap record. It’s only the second fastest lap of his career, both of which have come in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Hamilton’s qualifying crash meant he had to start from the pits. Having effectively lined up 20th, he emulated Vettel’s 16-place climb to fourth position which is the most places any driver has made in up a race all year long. He scored points for the 24th race in a row, tying the second-longest streak of all time with Michael Schumacher. He needs three more to reach the all-time record held by Kimi Raikkonen.

However Esteban Ocon’s record of most consecutive finishes from the start of an F1 career came to an end when he was taken out by Romain Grosjean on lap one. Incredibly, this was Ocon’s first retirement in any series since his race-stopping collision with Tom Blomqvist at the start of the 2014 Macau Grand Prix. Since then he had done 45 single-seater races without retiring: An entire 18-race season of GP3 plus his first 27 F1 races.

Renault’s power unit problems and their troubled relationship with Toro Rosso was a major talking point ahead of the race. No driver had been hit harder than Brendon Hartley, who in his three-race F1 career to date is yet to start a grand prix without having taken a power unit grid penalty.

Current Standings

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Post by Big Kev »

As it's the last race of the season, who have been your best and worst drivers of the year?

For me,
Best - Ocon. I think he's shown he can step up to a better team. Given Perez a lot to think about and in some cases made him look quite average.
Worst - Kimi. Time to give it up. They won't win the constructors while he's there. He hasn't been quick enough to pick up the wins when Vettel and Hamilton have been out of it.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Best - I thought Alonso did well for such an old guy. Still has the same fight he did back in the day.

Worst - With so many reliability issues across the board, I'm finding it hard to point at anyone as the worst, although Palmer had a rough year and made a lot of mistakes. I also wish Massa hadn't continued on, because it would have been great to see someone else take that seat and he had a great send off last year. Kimi also doesn't have the speed that he once had, but some terrible strategy decisions by the team really didn't help.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Best - Verstappen. Ricciardo is highly rated and he's had the better of him this year. Special mention, Vandoorne. He's been quicker than Alonso more than most have probably realised.

Worst - Wehrlein. Should be smashing Ericsson but isn't. Last year he was being talked about as Rosbergs replacement, now he's going to be leaving the sport and no one seems bothered. Special mention, Grosjean. Throws it off the road more than his team mate and complains constantly.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

w00dsy wrote:Special mention, Vandoorne. He's been quicker than Alonso more than most have probably realised.
In qualifying I thought Alonso had him. It was really hard to tell the race pace because of all the issues they both had. But I would love to see more of him next season.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

w00dsy wrote:Best - Verstappen. Ricciardo is highly rated and he's had the better of him this year.
I reckon it’s pretty 50/50. Max had a better second half of the season. Dan had the better first half. Max is quicker over qually, but even disregarding Max’s reliability issues, Dan was often quicker in the race in the first half of the season.

I think Dan needs to get out of that team though, it seems like red bull want Max to be their number 1 for some reason. I was hoping he’d get out of his contract and get a Ferrari seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Still undecided about best performance but for worst, Bottas would have to be up there. He’s nowhere near Hamilton most of the time, and often getting beaten by Ferrari and Red Bull when Lewis is running away with it.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I agree with woodsy - Max is the best performer out there this year. That kid is insanely fast.

Worst.. Palmer, Werhlein, Stroll... Hard to pick.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

At the end of the day, couldn’t match Dan for points. I know who I’d rather on a team if I were to run one. Not saying he’s not impressive, but he needs to settle down a bit and nurse the car instead of breaking them.

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I don't think he's been to blame for any of them has he? From what I remember they have all been weird electrical issues.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I know Daniel hinted at it in a press conference.

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I think he was just trying to make a sex joke. I don't think they can do anything to abuse the cars anymore with rev limiters etc.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I got the feeling it turned into a joke. But still wondered if that was the intent at the start, and how much truth there was to it.

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Best: Alonso. Just for the fact that he's still pushing hard after so long with a shit engine. Most fast drivers seem to quickly go off the boil when they're off pace. Grosjean certainly doesn't seem to be handling his move backwards on the grid very well.

Worst: SkyF1. I'm over their shitty negative tabloid style. I want to punch Ted every time he opens his mouth and every time Crofty speaks I expect him to end with some contrived meaningless statistic. "Verstappen passes Kimi, and that's the first time a driver with a V in his name has passed a driver in a red car for 4th position on the 23rd lap of the 5th a race of a season since nineteen..." WHO GIVES A FUCK! Only positive was that they seem to have removed their tongues from Hamiltons bunghole this year.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They still lick the rim though.
Minister for Religious Genocide.