Game of Thrones (TV series)

Chat about stuff you've seen
Brett_S

Game of Thrones (TV series)

Post by Brett_S »

Got the first episode last night cos nothing else is on at the moment - figured I'd give it a go...

I was watching it with my GF and we were a bit surprised - I don't think she'll be watching it again, but I'll give it a couple more eps :)

Lord of the Rings with Boobs :yes:
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Re: Game of Thrones (TV series)

Post by VTRacing »

It appears to have Sean Bean in it....and I can't stand Sean Bean.

On the other hand, boobs!
:teach:
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

The series of books is by far the best fantasy series I've read. Gritty, violent, adult and just horrible (in a good way) at times it's awesome. The TV show tames it right off, they all wear too much make-up and the actors suck. The characters are way off as well. Cersei (blonde queen) is supposed to be an absolute nasty piece of work, sly and borderline evil all while being beautiful and charming to all that don't know what she's really like. The show's character's about as flat as a wet newspaper. Most of the characters are portrayed this way. They're just boring and soppy.
Saying that there's boobs galore and it all looks very pretty! I like that side of it but I could go on at length on how badly pretty much every character has been translated to screen. This is not a TV show for fans of the books.
I can't recommend the books enough though to those who can get into fantasy. They're a little slow going at times but once you get into them you're absolutely hooked.
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

[youtube] [/youtube]
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Never heard of the books, and don't really enjoy fantasy (although its fairly minimal from what i've seen so far) stuff - but loving this tv show! I'm upto episode 9.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I enjoyed the show too. I don't have time to read the books so I'm not going to bother but the show is well made and looks good. Sucks we have to wait a year for the next season already though!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Exar Kun wrote:I enjoyed the show too. I don't have time to read the books so I'm not going to bother but the show is well made and looks good. Sucks we have to wait a year for the next season already though!
I've been seriously tempted to get the books after finishing season 1. But then I don't want to spoil the tv series for myself. But then I also don't want to wait a year to see whats next :)
Montey

Post by Montey »

Fandango wrote:The series of books is by far the best fantasy series I've read. Gritty, violent, adult and just horrible (in a good way) at times it's awesome. The TV show tames it right off, they all wear too much make-up and the actors suck. The characters are way off as well. Cersei (blonde queen) is supposed to be an absolute nasty piece of work, sly and borderline evil all while being beautiful and charming to all that don't know what she's really like. The show's character's about as flat as a wet newspaper. Most of the characters are portrayed this way. They're just boring and soppy.
Saying that there's boobs galore and it all looks very pretty! I like that side of it but I could go on at length on how badly pretty much every character has been translated to screen. This is not a TV show for fans of the books.
I can't recommend the books enough though to those who can get into fantasy. They're a little slow going at times but once you get into them you're absolutely hooked.
I just finished watching the first 2 episodes and I have to disagree. I think the series is a pretty faithful reproduction of the book.

You are correct that in the book Cersei is a heck of a piece of work, but I think the actress in the TV series is playing it very subtly. Certainly, in the first episode, she is fairly placid and uninteresting but through episode two her scheming ways and evil streak really start to reveal themselves (but still as subtle manipulations of her king, rather than overt acts by her own hand). Like the book it takes a few scenes (chapters) to get to grips with the various intertwined plot threads and their associated characters and to allow the characters to reveal how they will play their roles in the collective story.

Like most costume period series the make-up and and costumes are a bit over done (in some cases massively overly elaborate) but the general story telling and plot are very faithful to the book, even down to the lines used by the actors being almost identical to those in the book. The "A Song of Ice and Blood" series is one of my favourite and I was very much afraid the TV series would destroy it, but so far I have been very pleasantly surprised and am thoroughly engaged with it.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Like Montey, +1 for the show.

they did well to get as much as the 10 ep's, Would of been great if LOTR's was done in the same way.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Speed

Post by Speed »

Just watched the series & loved it. I've just ordered the books, the 5th book was released last week. I gotta know what's going on. :)
Also, books are just about always better than the shows so I'm hanging to read them.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Speed, In this case.. there pretty close.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Notice that season 2 has started...came to this series late, dont like Sean Bean all that much but hes bloody good in this. We are up to episode 7 series 1...enjoying it muchly so far!
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

An I imagine ex employee of HBO stuffed up and uploaded Episode 2 to the HBO Go streaming site instead of Episode 1. It was swiftly taken down but not before resourceful people made it available via Channel BT. Enjoy.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Jamo, hehe.. I seen that also.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Jamo wrote: It was swiftly taken down but not before resourceful people made it available via Channel BT. Enjoy.
A link would be most helpful :nod:
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Catching up on Season 2 now - resisted watching for awhile so I wouldn't have to wait a week between episodes!

Seems like they're drifting away from the book storylines a lot this season. I'm finding it hard to keep track of what's going on because I'm expecting the book storyline to be happening - still awesome though :D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I'm finding it hard to keep track because I haven't read the books and half the time need a refresh as to which character they're talking about. Especially earlier on this season with the introduction of a couple of new settings I had no idea what was going on - just along for the ride. Agree that it's still awesome.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Even I am into it.

I reckon it is one of those shows you could watch again and still enjoy it.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I haven't read the books and don't intend to. Not until the tv series is over at least.

I also found some of the earlier episodes a bit difficult to follow. They had a bit too much going on for a tv series. Series 2 of Heroes lost me for that reason, but this hasn't been too bad. Some of the downloads still have the "Previously on..." bit at the start. Makes it a bit easier when you get some reminders :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

So that was the final in S2? Jesus.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

norbs wrote:So that was the final in S2? Jesus.
Yep, have to wait till April next year for S3.... sigh
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
norbs

Post by norbs »

Will be interesting to see how it goes. It is getting a bit out there for me. A bit like Lost when it went all magical and weird.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Can't believe it's over again and we have to wait so long for S3.

I had the books given to me for my birthday so will crack them out and see how far away from the books they are

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I'm all caught up now. Man, I am glad I read the books now. it'd be damn hard to keep up with wtf is going on without knowing the characters beforehand I'd say. They should have probably spread the book across two seasons instead.

Norbs, I too was worried about the magical shit.. but I feel like the characters and story are strong enough to keep it all together in this case. I normally dislike fantasy stuff, but couldn't put these books down once I started. Book 3 was probably my favourite too - hopefully the series does it justice.
norbs

Post by norbs »

This is great.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/67918 ... ason-2-rpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;