Films you've watched recently

Chat about stuff you've seen
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Films you've watched recently

Post by durbster »

I could have sworn this thread already existed but I'll be buggered if I can find it. Please mod me if necessary.

As it's not really worth starting a new thread for but worth mentioning, I just watched a film called Triangle. I didn't know anything about it before sitting down and I really enjoyed it. It's a bit of a headfuck and I just saw the imdb reviews aren't great, but I thought it was really entertaining. The lead girl certainly helped too :)

It's set in Miami but was filmed in Queensland too, I saw in the credits. No idea why :D
Last edited by durbster on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Good films you've watched recently

Post by DexterPunk »

Saw the Kings Speech the other day and enjoyed that. I'm sure not everyone's cuppa tea though.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
wabbit

Re: Good films you've watched recently

Post by wabbit »

I went through the "Recently Viewed" that I really enjoyed.

The Devil's Double (2011)
Drive (2011)
Fair Game (2010)
Neds (2010)
The Woman (2011)
Flypaper (2011)
The Change-Up (2011)
Friends with Benefits (2011)
Our Idiot Brother (2011)
Snowtown (2011)
Apollo 18 (2011)
Winter's Bone (2010)
Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag (2005)
Hesher (2011)
Red State (2011)
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Lars Von Triers latest offering is a good film... Melancholia http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527186/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is about two sisters and their relationship at the end of life in the universe. As always with Von Trier, the cinematography is awesome, but the subject matter is a little dark and depressive.
I also enjoyed his Dancer in the Dark http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168629/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Another sad tale that stars the enigma that is Bjork.

Other than that I haven't seen much lately that made me think, wow, that was good. A couple from wabbits list I can vouch for as being good watches...

Snowtown
Hesher

Oh yeh... one other that I watched again recently... A Scanner Darkly. It's a rotoscoped movie so a little unusual.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

A Scanner Darkly is cool to look at but I was so distracted by the technology that I sort of lost track of the film. I remember that Keanu was playing Neo again, he's getting really good at that character with all the practice.

I watched Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs yesterday after a mate kept banging on about it. I wasn't expecting much but it was absolutely brilliant. One of the funniest films I've seen for a while :D
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Hehe... I know what you mean about Keanu, but Scanner Darkly is a different story altogether than the Matrix stuff. Basically Keanu is investigating a possible dealer in Substance D but is also being manipulated by his superiors to become addicted to the drug in the hope that he will get sent to New Path where they think the drug is actually being manufactured. At the end of the day it is homage from Philip K Dick to the friends he lost through drug addiction and the terrible mental afflictions those who survived have suffered (you might remember the long list of names at the end of the film in the credits). Dunno if you're into reading but it is a good read as are most of PKD's novels (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - which is Blade Runner, Minority Report etc...)

Some of the latest animated stuff is pretty good, I might check that one out myself. I tend to go for "slapstick" comedy in films. The Hangover films are ok (to a point).

On the motorsport side of things I recently saw TT3D-Closer To The Edge. Not as good as the Senna film but an interesting insight into the TT races with some spectacular footage and Guy Martin is a bit of a strange brew.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

wabbit wrote:I went through the "Recently Viewed" that I really enjoyed.

The Devil's Double (2011)
Drive (2011)
Fair Game (2010)
Neds (2010)
The Woman (2011)
Flypaper (2011)
The Change-Up (2011)
Friends with Benefits (2011)
Our Idiot Brother (2011)
Snowtown (2011)
Apollo 18 (2011)
Winter's Bone (2010)
Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag (2005)
Hesher (2011)
Red State (2011)
Impressive list. You're obviously a regular cinema goer. Any of those really stand out?
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hangover 2
and before that the avatar.

that's about it :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

JD, if I had to pick the real stands out I'd say, The Devil's Double, Neds, The Woman, Snowtown & Red State.

It's hard for me to choose because they're in great in their own way. I could keep revising the list even now but I'll have to leave it at that.

Lastly yes I'm a "home" cinema goer :D I've spend big money on it all and it's lovely to get the same experience without the pains of a public cinema.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Saw Tintin in 2D yesterday with the kids - what a beautiful looking film! I enjoyed the story too (though it was pretty violent for the littlies).
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

wabbit wrote:JD, if I had to pick the real stands out I'd say, The Devil's Double
That one looks interesting, with the added attraction that I'll watch nearly anything with Ludivine Sagnier in it...On the other hand it sounds like the sort of movie I'd watch anyway;
Snowtown
Already on the list. Got a rave from a mate of mine.
Red State.
Hard to believe someone could get away with making a film like that in the US. That alone makes it worth a look.
Lastly yes I'm a "home" cinema goer :D I've spend big money on it all and it's lovely to get the same experience without the pains of a public cinema.
I like a good trip to "the flicks" but I really only go to Cinema Europa or Gold Class because a) I enjoy it, b) they generally run less than mainstream movies anyway and c) it's a lot more comfortable than a big barn.

I don't have the bucks, the room or the inclination to do a hole theatre set up. I enjoy it at other people's places though.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

A few from me, not in any order of preference

Drive
Catch 44
A lonely Place To Die
Just Henry
Red Dog
Warrior
Van Diemens Land
The Point Of Regret
Five Dollars A Day
Griff The Invisible
Midnight In Paris

I'm looking forward to seeing 'The Artist' & some of the very recent releases.

I'm sure there are more, but they are the ones that come to mind. I don't go to the cinema any more, people just fuck up the experience these days. I don't have a home theatre though, would be nice I must admit.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Watched Tyrannosaur http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1204340/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; today. A mate had pointed it out from Mark Kermode's list of best movies from last year.

It stars Peter Mullan who was the Mother Superior in Trainspotting. A sad tale about two people from either side of the tracks affecting each others lives. Great acting and a good little story when all is said and done.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

smithcorp wrote:Saw Tintin in 2D yesterday with the kids - what a beautiful looking film! I enjoyed the story too (though it was pretty violent for the littlies).
I caught it in 3D after being told it was actual worth seeing that way. It really was an amazing looking film. The detail in the animation was astounding and the story was a nice rollicking adventure too.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

We watched 127 Hours last night, about the guy who cut his own arm off after his hand became trapped under a boulder. There aren't many directors I would trust with the premise of one man being alone for 5 days but of course Danny Boyle handles it brilliantly. Excellent stuff.

Has Boyle ever made a bad film?
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Just watching that on ch4 now.....
20mins in. Ok so far....
I'm physically willing him to move it!

Edit: Excellent film. Brilliant acting from James Franco. Very good special effects at the end too to 'shop his arm out of the footage.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Yes, amusingly it arrived on Friday from Lovefilm, two days before it was on telly, so I thought I'd mention it for the Brits here. I watched a bit of it again last night :)
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

durbster wrote:Has Boyle ever made a bad film?
I don't thinks so :) One of the things I like about Boyle is that he covers a wide variety of film genres and so far they've all been pretty good. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with for the Olympic opening ceremony... as long as he ignores Boris and Clarkson it should be good :) (if that sort of occasion ever is)

By the way.. watched one for you two yesterday... We Need To Talk About Kevin. I'm scared of Kevins now :eek:
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I read that book years ago and it is brilliant. It actually got me back into reading books as it had been ages since I'd picked one up. The name thing was incidental - I wasn't expecting it to be about me :D

I haven't seen the film though.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Saw Black Swan at the weekend. I really didn't think it'd be my thing but I thought it was brilliant and more than lived up to the hype.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

durbster wrote:Saw Black Swan at the weekend. I really didn't think it'd be my thing but I thought it was brilliant and more than lived up to the hype.
Even I liked it! The lez scene even more so.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

You stayed awake through it Norbs! :eyepop:

Yeah that scene did probably get it an extra star. :D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yep, I thought it was great. Kind of disturbing but very good. King's Speech was out at the same time and after seeing both I never really understood why King's Speech was rated so highly and did so well at the Oscars. Black Swan seemed like a far better movie that pushed the boundaries a lot more.

Plus Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. :yummy:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

durbster wrote:You stayed awake through it Norbs! :eyepop:

Yeah that scene did probably get it an extra star. :D

Only due to Hurts post ( viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15451&p=281760&hilit=swan#p279259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) saying there was a lezo scene. I was hoping it was in the first 10 minutes, but it wasnt, and the film had suckered me in by the time it came around.

oh, and there is something about ballerinas, well the female ones, that makes the bed flute point north!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Last couple of weeks we've watched Adventureland, which was painfully dull and Thor, which was very entertaining and the wife said the fella playing Thor used to be in Home & Away (so I know many of you will be fans). He was rather good actually. :)