Films you've watched recently

Chat about stuff you've seen
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: Good films you've watched recently

Post by r8response »

Went and saw 21 Jump Street to much protestation. But found myself laughing my arse off and rather enjoyed it. Much the same with This Means War. Its aimed at the chicks, but there is enough there to keep a bloke interested.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Just watching the old Clint Eastwood classic Escape from Alcatraz on tv.
Great film. Simple, fact based plot that gets going right from the start. Good actors playing all the parts.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I've seen a couple of good films recently. First was The Impossible, the film about a family surviving the Asian Tsunami. It does rather gloss over the substantial number of Asian victims but otherwise a fantastically made film that isn't just about the moments of the disaster. I thought the two leads (Ewan MacGregor and Naomi Watts) were superb. It reminded me of United 93 in a way.

And last night I watched Monsters which I've been meaning to get around to for a long time. I remember reviews varying wildly, some people saying it was understated and brilliant, others saying it was boring and nothing happened. I thought it was the former and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is some dubious geography and special effects but I was hooked from start to finish. It's a tricky one to recommend because I think a lot of people were expecting a Cloverfield style action-fest and it is definitely not that, but if you like indie films I think you'd probably like it because it has that feel to it.
richo

Post by richo »

Have a look at Warm Bodies , its a zombie film but done in a different way an quite funny and sweetly done.
[]D [] []v[] []D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

ill have to look at monsters.

I watched another earth and upside down last night, a work colleague recommended them to me.

Upside down is interesting, it has some very well done parts and some very poor parts. the cinematography is just superb. having to different worlds on top of each other, looks very believable, if not a bit daunting to watch. some parts of the story just got glossed over, something happened and i wasn't sure what side of the world they were on and until other stuff happened and it confused me for a bit. overall its a love story but its not bad.

Another earth I really enjoyed, its about a girl who has everything, she makes a terrible mistake right when another earth pops into the sky. she pays for it and the story kicks in 4 years later. its a sad tale but i dont want to give the plot away so i wont say to much.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

The Shining at the Astor theater in melb. I've seen it 50 times but it was a different experience on the big screen. It also had extra scenes. It had so much more impact, fantastic movie.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Say no more...... :D

Not seen too many good films for a while, there have been one or two though that are worth passing on

The Man Who Wasn't There

Killing Them Softly

The Place Beyond The Pines

Seven Psychopaths
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Pandorum is a good movie I watched recently and seems little known, I'd never heard of it before stumbling upon it on imdb. Two officers wake up from hypersleep with no memory on a spaceship that's seemingly abandoned but isn't quite. Has a little bit of that claustrophobic Aliens feel and a few good twists to it.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Just watched Taken.

It comes round on TV now and then and I've never seen it.... until now.
Pretty good actually. Decent story, pretty well acted. Just a shame the girl gets to meet Holly Valance as a present!

If you've never seen it, it's well known for this line

[youtube] [/youtube]
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Oblivion was a very pleasant surprise. Interesting is slightly predictable story, frankly Incredible visuals of a stark barren post apocalyptic Earth. Cracking Soundtrack and Cruises best work in years. Some fine looking birds too, I've no idea who the redhead playing his Missus is but damn she's fine!
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
petey

Post by petey »

Jamo wrote:Oblivion was a very pleasant surprise. Interesting is slightly predictable story, frankly Incredible visuals of a stark barren post apocalyptic Earth. Cracking Soundtrack and Cruises best work in years. Some fine looking birds too, I've no idea who the redhead playing his Missus is but damn she's fine!
Despise cruises acting immensely. So his best work sounds like it may be almost passable. Or is it the same shit I'm so intense cruise?
Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Saw The Lovely Bones recently. It's a very good film although the psychadelic scenes were a bit tedious.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Nice one Durbs. The Lovely Bones is a really good film... despite the psychadelia :)

Have to agree with petey as far as Oblivion is concerned, just seemed to be a film put together for Cruise to stay in the limelight.

Watched Danny Boyle's latest - Trance - the other day. Mixed feelings about this one. Boyle normally puts stuff together pretty well but the ending revealed itself within the first 10 minutes or so. A bit too obvious this time around I'm afraid Danny.

Best one I've watched recently is Only God Forgives. A bit like Pulp Fiction meets Twin Peaks. Quite a slow film with many surreal moments a la Lynch. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed it.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Meant to watch The Hobbit at the cinema but just didn't get round to it, and it finally arrived on Blu-Ray the other day. We settled down, took a deep breath and expected it to be hard work but actually thoroughly enjoyed it. There was just one bit in the middle where it dragged for me. I think it is because the chief elf lady gets on my nerves - dragging out her words like she's doing an impression of a ghost from Scooby Doo.

After that bit the whole thing changes up a gear and was superb to the end.

And Gollum just blows my mind. I'm rarely impressed with actors but I'd give him an oscar. Even though he's not real.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

durbster wrote:The Hobbit I think it is because the chief elf lady gets on my nerves - dragging out her words like she's doing an impression of a ghost from Scooby Doo.
Yep, phony gravity. The 'comedy' bits with the dwarves shitted me. Was waiting for them to start singing "Hi-ho".
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

durbster wrote:Meant to watch The Hobbit at the cinema but just didn't get round to it, and it finally arrived on Blu-Ray the other day. We settled down, took a deep breath and expected it to be hard work but actually thoroughly enjoyed it. There was just one bit in the middle where it dragged for me. I think it is because the chief elf lady gets on my nerves - dragging out her words like she's doing an impression of a ghost from Scooby Doo.

After that bit the whole thing changes up a gear and was superb to the end.

And Gollum just blows my mind. I'm rarely impressed with actors but I'd give him an oscar. Even though he's not real.

I have tried, by god I have, but I just can't get more than about 40 minutes in and it is lights out. The bride now suggests it for nights that I cant get to sleep!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Guess the upcoming Extended Edition is gonna be right up your alley eh Norbs :D
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Thing is Norbs, it's the second half where it really gets going. Just watch it in half hour chunks instead. :D
richo

Post by richo »

They really bloated a well paced book and I never took to Thorin's character .
[]D [] []v[] []D
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Watched Kick Ass II the other night, wasn't as good as the first (neither was the book) but it was still good fun. Damn Hit-Girl is growing into a right little cutie!
richo

Post by richo »

Just saw Elysium and it's not a patch on District 9 , not an interesting story line , characters that were forgettable and it sort of went no where. The weapons were top notch which seems to be the way with Neil Blomkamp and WETA but sadly not a pig launcher in sight.

Jodie Foster's character and horrible accent sucked the little life out of the film.
[]D [] []v[] []D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

so its not "Good films you've watched recently" then? :lol:
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Been on a Steve Coogan / Michael Winterbottom bender. Watched The Trip (as the proper BBC series, not the film) - excellent, then Tristram Shandy, A Cock and Bull Story (another Coogan/Brydon double) and then The Look of Love, an excellent film about pron king Paul Raymond's relationship with his daughter. Good films all, recommended!
richo

Post by richo »

NeilPearson wrote:so its not "Good films you've watched recently" then? :lol:
More like the OKish films you've watched lately..
[]D [] []v[] []D
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:Oblivion was a very pleasant surprise. Interesting is slightly predictable story, frankly Incredible visuals of a stark barren post apocalyptic Earth. Cracking Soundtrack and Cruises best work in years. Some fine looking birds too, I've no idea who the redhead playing his Missus is but damn she's fine!
I managed to get through this last night.

Isn't it just The Matrix with out computers?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.