New Star Wars film announced

Chat about stuff you've seen
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

New Star Wars film announced

Post by Big Kev »

Disney has confirmed a new Star Wars movie after buying Lucasfilm in a multi-billion dollar deal.

The Walt Disney Company announced that it has agreed to acquire the George Lucas-founded firm for $4.05 billion (£2.5bn) in cash and stock.

Disney has now confirmed that Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015.

Kathleen Kennedy, current co-chair of Lucasfilm, will become Lucasfilm's president as part of the deal.

In a statement, Lucas said: "For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next. It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.

"I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organisation, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come.

"Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Disney also confirmed in the announcement that more feature films in the series are planned "to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future".

Earlier this year, Lucas said that he had retired from filmmaking and would not be involved in any more Star Wars feature films.

A Star Wars TV series - provisionally titled Star Wars: Underworld - is also in development. It is said to focus on "the criminals and the gangs" of the sci-fi's universe.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: New Star Wars film announced

Post by Exar Kun »

Well... on the plus side, surely it can't be any worse than the prequels. If they get a proper director and writer on board it could even be good. There wasn't too much wrong with the actors Lucas had to work with. On the downside it'll do more damage to the EU but that's of little concern when you're talking about the billions of dollars it'll bring in. I wonder how much Lucas will continue to get in terms of royalties?

From someone who has been a star wars nerd most of their lives, lately even I've lost interest. I read close to 100 novels but haven't touched one in the past two years. I haven't even bought any Star Wars Lego in that long! I'll keep going to see the movies but beyond that it's much of a muchness.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It could be a good thing. I'd like to see an older Luke and Han etc. would be good if they got a lot of the old cast back... So long as the story was there. The biggest difference to me between the old movies and the prequels was that the new movies seem to miss that feeling of story and adventure.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

A New Hope remake is already in the works....

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

DexterPunk wrote:It could be a good thing. I'd like to see an older Luke and Han etc. would be good if they got a lot of the old cast back... So long as the story was there. The biggest difference to me between the old movies and the prequels was that the new movies seem to miss that feeling of story and adventure.
The funny thing is, reading the novelisations of the prequels (which were not written by GL), the overall stories came across as alright. I just think that George Lucas is an awesome imaginer of worlds but a horrible screenplay writer and director.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I'd have a nerdgasm to see a competently handled Thrawn Trilogy. Pity it's impossible now cause the cast is just too old.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I hope they don't go down the Batman/Spiderman path and change actors and directors and stories all the time.
richo

Post by richo »

Jamo wrote:I'd have a nerdgasm to see a competently handled Thrawn Trilogy. Pity it's impossible now cause the cast is just too old.

YOU ARE THE MAN! Yes i would love a properly done Thrawn , i may be called a heathen but i enjoy that storylines so much more than the original plots.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Leweegibo

Post by Leweegibo »

I have heard most the actors are willing to reprise their rolls.

Thrawn Trilogy, man that takes me back, i read them when i was young and still remember some parts quite well, sheesh i might just have to find them to read again!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Apparently Toy Story 3's writer is on board to do the screenplay. They can't really do the Thrawn trilogy as the original actors are so damn old. Much better if you base something on the Solo & Skywalker kids and just have cameos from the original cast. I can't see them going with something already written for the EU but it's likely they'll draw on elements from it.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Word is Disney have tapped Lawrence Kasdan to co-write VIII and IX alongside Simon Kinberg (X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes and Mr. & Mrs. Smith)

He wrote the screenplays for The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark, Silverado and The Big Chill to name a few. Seems Disney might be taking this very seriously.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

The next thing they need to do is put George Lucas in a locked cage so he can't get anywhere near it.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Exar Kun wrote:Much better if you base something on the Solo & Skywalker kids and just have cameos from the original cast.
Only if those kids are in their mid 20's. Last thing the franchise needs is a Disney tween coming of age flick.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

DarrenM wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:Much better if you base something on the Solo & Skywalker kids and just have cameos from the original cast.
Only if those kids are in their mid 20's. Last thing the franchise needs is a Disney tween coming of age flick.
More like their thirties in the books by now but who knows what Disney will do.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

DarrenM wrote:

That's would be horrible.

Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

DexterPunk wrote:
DarrenM wrote:

That's would be horrible.

They did that already. Caravan of courage.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
richo

Post by richo »

Probably be musical featuring Jar Jar Binks , running time 2.4 hours..
[]D [] []v[] []D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

That's got to be a mockup. The film on at the cinema in in BTTF 2 was Jaws 3D (or was it 4D?).
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

durbster wrote:That's got to be a mockup. The film on at the cinema in in BTTF 2 was Jaws 3D (or was it 4D?).
Jaws 19

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Ya, a holo of a shark comes out to get him.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

You must have seen the movie wobbly.

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Unsure, is it out yet?

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

http://collider.com/j-j-abrams-star-wars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any truth?

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I'd say very unlikely. He has alot on his plate for the next couple of years. Next Avengers movie, New S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series that is shooting it's pilot soon.