Top Gear Season 22

Chat about stuff you've seen
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: Top Gear Season 22

Post by Exar Kun »

Sniff Petrol was indeed a top gear writer. He's also a journo with evo magazine - Richard Porter.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yes Richard Porter who does Sniff was a script editor and he also writes for EVO magazine.

Will certainly be interesting to see what happens. They still have BBC contracts, just not Top Gear ones. I wouldn't be surprised if other TV companies have approached them. Just depends if they want to make 'Top Car' or something like that or if they think it's time to do something else.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

They should just do travel adventures although they might be getting a bit old for it.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i'm really hoping the 3 of them start fresh without all the scripts and predictable gaffes that was starting to ruin the old show. They are all funny bastards when they just take the piss out of each other, so just leave them to it and edit the good bits together. I almost wonder if their terrible acting was a way of protesting how scripted it was getting.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Daily Express says

It appears that BBC is in advanced negotiations with "Life on Mars" actor Philip Glenister, Channel 4 presenter Guy Martin and "Classic Car Show" presenter Jodie Kidd to take over Top Gear UK starting next spring.
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Guy Martin will be good.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Glenister put me off his other car show (For The Love of Cars) because he appeared to have no interest in cars and seemed to resent being there. I'm surprised his name's in the hat so if true, perhaps I interpreted his grumpiness incorrectly.

The thing is, the BBC has changed considerably in the past 14 years and I suspect the type of people who work there will have absolutely no idea how to make Top Gear work. The BBC is full of media studies graduates these days and it's telling that the creative and exciting productions are still only coming from the old hands.

The ones that aren't in prison, that is.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

BBC announced there will be a final episode for season 22. A 75 min episode with May and Hammond presenting 2 bits filmed before the incident.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33153633

And there will be a whole new lineup headed by Chris Evans

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33158464
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Not the idiot that paints Ferrari's white!! Sacrilege!!

He seemed kinda boring on the ep he was on too but I haven't really seen much of him otherwise so will be interesting to see what it's like.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Evans is a very experienced presenter so he understands TV as well as Clarkson, even if his personality is the polar opposite.

If you want to look him up on YouTube the he started on a morning show in the 90s called the Big Breakfast and turned it into a huge success. That's where he made his wealth (I think he owned the production company). He then went nuts on the booze for a few years, getting sacked from his radio show for refusing to work Fridays or not turning up at all, stuff like that.

He also had an evening show called TFI Friday which was a sort of anarchic live chat show. It finished years ago but there was a one off episode on last week which I'm sure is no coincidence, especially considering Clarkson was on it.

And his other big show was more of a gameshow (although it still had chat show bits iirc) called Don't Forget Your Toothbrush, in which the entire audience could win a holiday. That was OK too.

For the last few years he's been hosting the Radio 2 breakfast radio show, which is the biggest in the UK. I gather he'll continue this (although I'm not sure how).

I don't think an obvious choice to replace Clarkson exists but on paper at least, Evans ticks a lot of boxes. His personality is quite divisive however, so it'll be interesting to see how he goes. I think a lot of it hinges on who goes with him. I'm not sure he's the easiest person to work with.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

He also fingered Billie Piper, so he's alright in my book.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Yes, there is that. :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Is there a video?
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

DexterPunk wrote:Is there a video?
Just beat me Dex....
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Only diagrams :(

wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I know it's not a popular thought around here but I honestly wish Top Gear would just die (stop). It's had its run, it's had its fun and it's gone on for too long (disagreement allowed).

I wish something replaced it however in a different way, something new.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

wabbit wrote:I know it's not a popular thought around here but I honestly wish Top Gear would just die (stop). It's had its run, it's had its fun and it's gone on for too long (disagreement allowed).

I wish something replaced it however in a different way, something new.
I agree, it got very stale the last few series...
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Agree too.

However. Top Gear has run for a long time, and pre dates May, Hammond ,and Clarkson. BBC has a chance to reinvent the show. I'm interested to see where it may go from here. Also interested to see what the old crew end up doing. Hopefully we end up with two better shows than what we had near the end of Top Gear.

I have been a massive fan of TG for a long time. I remember back before it was even airing on SBS, and the only option was to download eps. It used to be so exciting waiting for the new season. Even I was sick of it by the end. It's just a shame they didn't call it quits and move on instead of it ending this way. Unlike many though, I don't blame the BBC for it. They had no choice. It's ridiculous to think you can put blame onto an employer for sacking an employee who is running around punching workmates.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I can't see it being as good as the Australian version of Top Gear.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Chris Evans isn't someone who turns up at a show and does what the previous presenter did. So what ever they turn it in to it won't be like the current one but with new people. I think the Stig and the SIARPC will go as well. Evans will want to reinvent his own new show.
My Flickr Stream
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Final ep up.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Wasn't bad but like the producer said, it wasn't a planned final episode so it doesn't have the feel of anything special.
Hammond looked particularly pissed off doing the intros.
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Yeah the SUV thing was funny but it's very clear they were never designed to be the final act. I must admit, I thought they might at least do some kind of compilation at the end to remind us all of what an astonishing run its had.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Have Hammond or May come out and publicly criticised Clarkson for being a fuckwit, or are they blindly standing behind him as mates?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Bit of both I think. They pretty much acknowledged he's an idiot but that they love him nonetheless. :)