Not Top Gear

Chat about stuff you've seen
DarrenM

Re: Not Top Gear

Post by DarrenM »

Eh, I liked episode 3. Bit of a trip episode which are usually their best. No review segment, but that meant no crappy hotlap bit. Swings and roundabouts :)

I'd be happy if they did that every episode instead of the usual Top Gear format. A travel show where the cars are part of the focus.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I didn't mind it, it wasn't too bad.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Havent watched the 3rd one yet. 2nd one the military part was boring and so overdone. Hate the American doing the hotlaps too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Hated the first 2 eps, but enjoyed the 3rd.
I'll give it another go, but I'm not expecting much..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Steve
---
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah 3rd was the best Ep so far. Still, if you were over TG I think this will be much the same. I'll watch. But it's a bit same old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I binged watched the 4 episodes on the weekend & feel it is lacking in many areas when comparing it to when they did TG.
Yes I laughed hard at times but I also cringed many times. I'll keep watching it of course but I do hope they improve it as it rolls on.
Here's my opinions for anyone who cares to read them;

The car review movies are too short &/or lack any specific details that we car buffs thrive on, yes they always did lack some of these aspects in TG but they had more detail than they do now. I was severely disappointed in the 911 GT3 RS & BMW movie, not showing the timed lap of the Porker was a shame.
Which leads to the new test, it is an abomination... It just doesn't come across well on TV, maybe it's the camera angles. I felt this really came across in the Aston Martin Vulcan film, it just didn't allow the car to be shown in all of it's full mental-ness.
Mike Skinner is a phenomenal steer-er but making him try to be funny with his (American) commentary looks & feels awkward.
Get rid of the Celebrity Brain Crash segment, it's pointless & very irritating... It's pretty easy to see that it's an irrelevant gap filler but filler for what is my question.
As much as I hate to say it, they do need to have a celebrity segment where they actually talk to the celebrity...
I know I'm calling the kettle black here but all 3 of them need to seriously consider changing their diet, Clarkson especially looks like hes ready to burst.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote: Which leads to the new test, it is an abomination... It just doesn't come across well on TV, maybe it's the camera angles. I fell this really came across in the Aston Martin Vulcan film, it just didn't allow the car to be shown in all of it's full mental-ness.
It is all about camera angles. It is one of the things TG did best (that and post production). That track in an open field wouldn't be too bad on film.

Old TG test track was as open as you will get. You could get a long way off and use long lenses or wide lenses. It had super fast sections. It really was the perfect site for that sort of photography.

The new track is enclosed by trees. This gives the in car shots a sense of speed, but severely limits the the outside shots.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

There is a lot wrong with GT but I don't pay for it and my son and I giggle a bit.

Certainly not the worst hour of my week! :up:
eek
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hey, I've quite enjoyed this week. Even the 'murican was tolerable.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

The Grand Tour has become the most illegally downloaded show in history, new figures show.

The Daily Mail reports that Episode 1 has been downloaded 7.9 million times since it was first released. Episode 2 is up to 6.4 million downloads, and Episode 3 has reached 4.6 million. No data for Episode 4 has been released.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Gees, I'm genuinely shocked!!! :lol:
Dukester

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Well, the 4th one. Edit: sorry I meant the 5th. heh.

The first part of the show I was enjoying the crap out of. It was really good. And then it wasn't exactly bad later, I just ... I don't know. I kinda got the feeling that the depth is missing from the review of the cars, and there was too much of "trying to be funny". I mean, I kinda knew what would have been a correct outcome of those cars head-to-head, and yes I can look up the weight of a car, but I'd still like to see it on the show.
Last edited by ysu on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

You pretty much summed up exactly how I felt about it too, it is just missing something extra to make it really good...
Dukester

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

The first four episodes felt like they're trying too hard.

I was fast losing interest and completely forgot about episode 5 until a couple of days after it aired, but it was pretty good and closer resembled the core of what made the show great. Just one totally unnecessary and unfunny premise. They need to stop those - they are clearly not actors.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

So I've waited until now to start watching, on Amazon Prime. Cost me $2.95 US for a 7 day trial, so about $20 on current exchange and it's a very nice HD stream. The monthly rate will work out the same as Netflix and others.

No geo blocking or VPN's needed. Now I can sit back and binge till I catch up :yes:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The last two episodes (the Angola tour) were OK, but this seems not much of a car show currently. It was a special so it's ok.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

*Namibia.

Every time I see Namibia on telly, I want to go. And since I realised that, I see it on telly a lot.

The two-part special was OK. In fact, the whole series is OK. Nothing about it is terrible, nothing about it is brilliant. It's all just OK.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

You're right, they went to the Angolan border...my memory is getting worse and worse with the years. :(
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

If you are tuning in to see a car show, you've all come to the wrong place. What new TG didn't understand is that the main audience watch to see three mates fucking about, who occasionally do some car stuff, not the other way round.

I watch the show with this perspective and thoroughly enjoy it. GT is still beautifully shot, still has them cocking about. The reason they are doing the celeb brain crash is that they are not allowed to do a Celebrity segment, because the beeb would hit them with breach of copyright if they did so. I agree, they should just dump the segment, but it's the three of them trying to say to the beeb, FU.

It will get better in time, Amazon clearly want an American audience so they are having to play to that a bit, but as each season goes on, just like they did on the beeb, they'll get more control as they get more popular.

You also have to remember, not every episode or every segment they did in TG was gold either, some of it was pretty dumb, but overall we enjoyed it and we will with GT too.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

What was everyones thoughts after the whole season? I have been chipping away at it over the last week and after about episode 4 I really enjoyed it. Hopefully they ditch the celebrity shit in season 2 or actually properly do something. They started to actually do a couple of car reviews which was good. Overall I have been watching GT and TG season 24 lately and enjoyed both. Good that we get 2 good shows!
Hello :aussie:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

First 4-5 episodes I think they were trying too hard. After that they seemed a bit more relaxed, less scripted and the episodes were a lot better. I think the 2nd half was some of the best shows they've done for a fair while.
thornz

Post by thornz »

Might have to pick it up again based on the above. Think I made it 4 shows, and was finding it a chore to set aside the time to watch it, wasn't terrible, just wasn't particularly great either.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I watched the episodes pretty much as they were released and thought it was OK. I must say I'm struggling to remember much about it a few months later, which speaks to how little an impact it had on me.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Hamster must have 9 lives...
Published on 10 Jun 2017
Ex-Top Gear host Richard Hammond has been airlifted to hospital after a crash while filming in Switzerland. The 47-year-old presenter was filming for Amazon Prime show The Grand Tour. In a statement, the show said Mr Hammond fractured his knee in the crash, which happened after completing the Hemburg Hill Climb. Jeremy Clarkson tweeted that it was the "most frightening" accident he had ever seen but said Mr Hammond was "mostly OK".
Dukester