Blade Runner 2049

Chat about stuff you've seen
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Blade Runner 2049

Post by Duke »

If this is half as good as the original it'll be a smash... but we all know what sequels are like but a 35yr rl gap should make it very interesting.

#BladeRunner 2049 - starring Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford.
--
Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.

Also stars Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis, Carla Juri, Lennie James, with Dave Bautista and Jared Leto
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Post by Johnny X »

We live in hope. :yes:
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I only saw the original a couple of years ago.

It had some lovely visuals here and there but to be honest, I was disappointed. I found it quite dull.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Cult classic. I over dosed on the many different versions over the years. I can't see this one living up to the (director's cut) original.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

durbster wrote:I only saw the original a couple of years ago.

It had some lovely visuals here and there but to be honest, I was disappointed. I found it quite dull.
It was a fantastic movie, but it's old.
I think these classic movies were mostly lacking the speed, the action that is characterising all modern AAA movies to an extent (especially the scifi/fantasy genre).

I actually like the tempo of these older movies. Some of the modern ones, with the shaking hand-held cameras and all the jumping around 1 second frames are pissing me off. It just leaves me mildly nauseous and confused. I'm getting older, just maybe? :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yep I agree ysu & durbs I suspect if you had of watched it back in the day, you would probably feel different about it like we do.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Anecdotally it seems whenever someone sees a very popular or cult movie a long time after the fact that they are usually disappointed. Maybe overall it's not really the case but it does make me wonder how much expectations play into how we respond to movies.

I've been planning to watch the original again, I can't really remember when I last watched it. I'll give this new one the benefit of the doubt but definitely have my reservations. It's impressive how many good sci fi novels PK Dick wrote and how many have made it to the big screen.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Duke wrote:Yep I agree ysu & durbs I suspect if you had of watched it back in the day, you would probably feel different about it like we do.
Aye that's probably true.

I don't think it's just it's the age of the film as I don't mind old films generally. I watched Escape From Alcatraz a few weeks ago and it was great, despite being very thin. The whole film that would be done in a 90 second sequence nowadays. :D