Dunkirk

Chat about stuff you've seen
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Dunkirk

Post by w00dsy »

Anyone else seen it? I saw it last night and loved it. It's very much aimed at men, there's not a lot of dialogue, not much of a plot either, just lots of cool actions scenes. The Spitfire scenes were great.

Jamo

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Jamo »

Very much looking forward it!

Now if only PJ would get his finger out on his Dambusters adaption.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I thought it was great. I felt it was non stop from start to finish. Went for authenticity and didn't do the normal silly things like two blokes standing there talking about how one has a hot wife to return too. Rather it merged 3 points of view.

On the merging the 3 different timelines was the difficult bit until it clicked (1 week, 1 day, 1 hour), then the movie continued to make sense.

Also, it's so well shot. You could frame so much of that movie and the sound... farrrkk, the noise some things made :eek:

Oh and the soundtrack. Gotta give two thumbs up.

Afterwards I thought it's most likely the most different war movie I've seen.
richo

Post by richo »

Loved it , sound and vision was outstanding and I really loved the small boat scenes . The score was pretty wild too for a period piece too.
[]D [] []v[] []D
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

It was the first film I've seen in IMAX and definitely up there with the best cinema experiences I've had. From the first gunshot I was right in there.

It's not perfect. The timeline thing was a bit jarring until I figure it out; the music was occasionally overbearing (did it even need a soundtrack?); we sometimes couldn't hear the voices; and there was a bit of a Hollywood moment that I'd spotted and hoped wouldn't happen.

Otherwise, absolutely superb. I've become quite disillusioned with cinema recently, especially big blockbuster films which have all been completely forgettable. I was still thinking about this one when I woke up the next morning.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I thought it was shit. Jumped around too much, and just felt like nationalistic twat. Just as much of a wank-off as the american war films
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

My mum wants to go see this and she hasn't been to the movies in 40 years. She's in for a shock when she goes :rofl:

Having watched only this trailer, I've found a fault... It's not a proper Messerschmitt Bf-109 :gnash:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: Dunkirk

Post by w00dsy »

wabbit wrote:Rather it merged 3 points of view.

And each was land, sea and air. Just like the military.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

:yes: :yes:

I enjoyed it. My mum hasn't been to a cinema for 48 years even she enjoyed it but now she's got a list after watching the previews :rolleyes:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Saw this on an Imax screen in Singapore on Monday night - amazing film and the sound! Really enjoyed it. Remarkable - no character development, just action but it works so well.

Incredible performance by Mark Rylance as the small boat skipper. He's my favourite English actor at the moment. If you want to see just how good he can be, check out Wolf Hall.