Re: Your guitar gear

Post by Dr. Pain »

Cool
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

another part showed up today, and i'm not sure why all the other stuff i ordered from Warmoth didn't turn up with it. I ordered a showcase body and it only needed pickup holes routed into it, but the neck had to be made from scratch and was supposed to be a 4-6 week wait. But it's only been about 3 weeks and here it is. I assumed it would all come in 1 box but i guess not. On the bright side I guess i can fit the Tronical tuners.

The neck is a 1 3/4" nut width, wizard profile. I wanted a wide thin neck and this is perfect for me. It's not as thin as i was worried it might be which is good, it's more Wizard II than Wizard I. I really tossed up whether to go standard C or Wizard but i don't have a really slim neck so i figured i'll get that. It's also got stainless 6230 frets, and an Earvana nut.

Tronical fitted, it took all of about 5 mins. No holes to drill, just put it through the tuner holes and fit the washers and nuts. Done.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

That is so awesome. I might even be tempted to start playing again if I had one of those fitted.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The quality of the neck looks pretty good. I've always wondered what their stuff is like. It's going to be satisfying to build your own I feel. I've thought about getting stuff off them but if I was to get anything else I'm likely to spend the money on either a Dave Murray Strat, Adrian Smith Jackson super Strat or a Gibson Explorer. Get something really good and say "yeah I own one high end guitar". Mine do the job but it's something that's nagging from time to time.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Warmoth always has quality parts and I think are worth the price. That tuning peg system looks awesome too, never seen it like that before.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

look what arrived in the mail today. I'm still waiting on the pickups but i had a few old shitty ones laying around so i did a quick mockup of what it might look like. I'll give it a coat of tung oil and then start the assembly.

richo

Post by richo »

I have a Gibson SG,Fender American std tele and a Gretsch 5120 and the guitar I always play is a $150 Epiphone acoustic ... Hardly play the electrics at all :) Going to Hawaii next year and I'm picking up a Martin 0015:) cant wait.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
[]D [] []v[] []D
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That looks nice. But one question, where's the truss rod access on the neck?
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I'm going to assume it's probably at the heel of the neck.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Under the bottom at the base of the neck. So right near the lower cut away next to the 19th fret.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Ah ok now I can see it in the pic's. I'm so use to it being at the top of the fret board or having access at the bottom of the neck. I'll be interested to hear how the tuning is with the auto tuner and a floating trem. I know the Floyd on my 7 string is set for 9's and the last time I bought strings I got sent 10's, which are useless. Only place I have to buy them is online as our music shop long ago. Not worth the hassle of setting it up for 10's when I like 9's on it in the first place. Only way I can use 10's is to block the Floyd off.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I had a play on Warmoth with some Strat designs. The finishes are bengal burst and dragon burst.
ImageImage
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

I like the dragon burst... very cool.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

the last piece of the puzzle arrived today. Now i just have to assemble it all.

matticooper

Post by matticooper »

hop to it.... what are you waiting for 8)
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i got a chance to dab a bit of finishing oil on it, it's a mix of bees wax, canauba wax and tung oil. I was so happy with how it came out i did the whole body. It's pretty much exactly as i wanted it to look. I might do one or 2 more coats and then give it a fine sand.

petey

Post by petey »

Sex :yes:

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That's looking nice but I would have had some holes drilled in it by now for the pots or I would have got it done when I ordered it. It's a nice grain.

I've been back playing for 5 years now and I really notice how far I've come. If I was at this point back in 1997 I don't think I would have stopped. Got better gear, better resources and a better attitude. I'm improvising better although it's got a very Iron Maiden feel to it as I'm playing Maiden a lot, and I can't shred. I'm still focused on playing a killer rhythm but messing about with very simple solo's. Very blues like. I wouldn't do it in front of anyone though. 11:30 last night it grabbed me to play so I got my Les Paul and 2 hours disappeared playing through the PC with 2 virtual 6505's. Bad thing about that is it's got me thinking about getting a EVH 5150 III 50 watt again. Not that I need it but it would be nice.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I decided to do the holes myself because there wasn't many options to relocate then away from the default. But I forgot to do it before I stained it. It'll be next on the list.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Going 1 volume. 1 tone? That cavity is big enough for anything.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

yep, 1 of each. It's the standard cavity so there's plenty of room for moving them around. These are the 3 default options, i didn't like any of them so i'll put the volume somewhere between the first and second knob. And the tone just a bit further back.

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Good idea. That's one thing that bugs me about my strat is where the volume is. It's too close for my liking but I live with it.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i somehow end up rolling my volume off when i play Strats. It bugs the hell out of me.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I do that with my pinky.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Looking good :yes: , love the dragon burst :nod:
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer