Malcolm Young

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
J.D.
Rat

Malcolm Young

Post by J.D. »

Earlier announcements that AC/DC's Malcolm Young was to retire permanently due to ill health have been been clarified by reports that he is suffering from dementia:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... 0m1hs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never been that big a fan of AC/DC but this guy is another matter. I can't think of a better rhythm guitarist ever. He was the band's engine room.

Apparently Stevie Young, Malcolm's nephew, sounds pretty much exactly the same. The only problem is that Malcolm was the driving force and principal songwriter.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Dr. Pain

Re: Malcolm Young

Post by Dr. Pain »

Malcolm's rhythm under Angus's lead is iconic!

[youtube] [/youtube]
Minister for Religious Genocide.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Listen to the left channel in this, especially in the middle part:

[youtube] [/youtube]

He's carrying the majority of the load.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

It's a shame Mal didn't do more solod because he was actually probably a nicer lead player than Angus but he didn't want to. He would joke that it gave him more drinking time.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Brian Johnson said that if you give a guitarist space they will fill it. The good ones, according to him, know when to shut up.

Seems to me that he knew it was better to be the best rhythm player going than to be an okay lead player (I'm not a fan of Angus). That means knowing your place and not many people in bands have that kind of ethos. Being a good rhythm player is a very different skill from being a good lead player.

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Izzy Stradlin when he was in Guns and Roses sums up what Brian said very well. There's a few damn fine rhythm players out there. :)
Minister for Religious Genocide.