Vinyl. . .

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
Quincy

Vinyl. . .

Post by Quincy »

I'm wondering who listens to vinyl? Small, large collection? Audiophile or scratchy needles? Alphabetical order, or shoved in a crate? Still buying? Old pre-loved, or brand new? Re-issue or hot off the press?
balls & boobs. . .
pixelboy

Re: Vinyl. . .

Post by pixelboy »

We still listen to vinyl.. I haven't bought any for a while but have about 6 milk crates of everything from Nancy & Lee through to 90s hardcore trance.

We've only got a cheap deck and I'm certainly not an audiophile.

I do love the pops and crackle that you get with vinyl from a nostalgic perspective.
eek
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Yup, on weekends mostly, old Stones, Clapton, other early Blues stuff.
Tempted to do the PVA Glue cleanup on few this summer - google it.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I don't have room in our apartment for my decks or I'd have more but I have about a crate, mostly house music with some other random things. In no order, not an audiophile at all.

Would love to buy some more classic rock but will wait till I can have my TT back.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I don't get the 'pops and crackles' thing.
Its not how the artist intended their music to be heard...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Steve
---
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I do... well would if i had a turntable. i have a great sound system (dali floor standing speakers + sub etc), and good amp.... but need a turntable. I always used my parents, but gave it back and set it back up for my old man. I still buy records now and then. Punk rock sounds awesome on Vinyl.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

I'm semi-audiophile. I used to be NON audiophile, but recently have had a DJ friend show me the major differences between average speakers and quality speakers! wow! Quality cartridges, quality needles, all add up to a much better listening experience. . .

I have around 1500 records, alphabetical order (I can sit for hours hunting for a record to play, so to counter this, we pick a Letter and a Number between 1-10, what ever we pull out, we play!! Great for parties! eg, B4 could be the Beatles White album) I use a Philips old skool turntable, solid as a rock, Harmen Kardon amp, and some kick arse speakers. Fantastic sound.

You can't beat the feeling from pulling out a favourite record, putting it on the deck, waiting a few seconds for the crackle to turn into sweet sounding music!

Anyways, I have recently been selling some of my unwanted records, out of my shop. . . with pretty good success, I also run a classified add every month, looking for collections to buy (which is how I have such a large collection to begin with).

I have recently been granted trading access with Universal Music, Warner, Inertia etc. . . this allows me to buy in NEW release vinyl, re-release stuff, The Stones, Beatles, Metallica, Nirvana, GnR's, you name it, I could possibly get it!

I'm really caught up in the vinyl and it is good to see a few of you blokes also keeping the dream alive. With the amount of interest my records at the shop receive, i'm more than certain, vinyl is as strong, if not stronger than ever before.
balls & boobs. . .
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Well I'm sure once vinyl will still be going once CDs disappear. It's already outlasted a couple of other formats.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I got nothing to play my vinyl with. Between myself and my sister, we have a collection of singles Iron Maiden issued in 1990 and they are re issuing them now. They are great to listen too.

This is one of the singles, Twilight Zone that wasn't on Killers but the bumped Women in Uniform for it in recent years on the re release. I miss the crackle of the singles though.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Dr. Pain wrote:I got nothing to play my vinyl with.

That is a common issue.

I have sold numerous systems (player, amp, speakers) from the shop, which I have put together from garage sales, tip shop etc, new needles, new belts, and they are good to go!

I would like to find a decent player that I can buy in and re-sell. . . not too cheap, not too expensive.
balls & boobs. . .
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I have been looking at the Audio Technica LP120-USB... I'm not sure if that would fit your price range or not? But it seems to get a good write up around the place. There was also a local manufacturer that a mate of mine reckons is pretty sweet. I'll find out for you.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

That is a nice deck Dex. I think the price is good too.

I'm interested in the local manufacturer for sure!
balls & boobs. . .
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Oh... it's not local. It may have been his speakers that were... or maybe I made it all up in my head.

He likes the Pro-Ject Audio Debut Carbon turntables for a cheaper option.