DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Brian Johnson ordered to stop touring immediately

Post by DexterPunk »

Dr. Pain

Re: Brian Johnson ordered to stop touring immediately

Post by Dr. Pain »

:cry:

I heard this before and it blows. Brian is awesome!

But as a guitar player and I have tried to get a good AC/DC tone, the volume has to be bloody loud :yikes:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I feel bad for Brian, but honestly they aren't AC/DC without Malcom, so if this forces them to stop before they become a cover band then it might not be a bad thing. GnR became a joke, I'd hate to see AC/DC do something similar.
richo

Post by richo »

Time to call it a day .
[]D [] []v[] []D
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They need Steve Souza from Exodus to step in to finish off the tour. He does a bloody good job of singing AC/DC. A mix of Bon and Brian.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I can't imagine that 30 years of loud wouldn't have contributed to the injury.

I don't think there's a point in replacing him now. I agree. End it before it becomes lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

AC/DC band members would like to thank Brian Johnson for his contributions and dedication to the band throughout the years

We wish him all the best with his hearing issues and future ventures. As much as we want this tour to end as it started, we understand, respect and support Brian’s decision to stop touring and save his hearing.

We are dedicated to fulfilling the remainder of our touring commitments to everyone that has supported us over the years, and are fortunate that Axl Rose has kindly offered his support to help us fulfill this commitment.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Raleigh, NC - April 19, 2016 - The first thought running through Lee Robinson’s mind when he was asked if he wanted to audition for AC/DC was that someone was playing an elaborate joke on him. Good ole boys from Butner, North Carolina just don’t get called by booking agents in Los Angeles.
“If it hadn’t been Jeff who called I would have hung up!” he says. He had to hear the message and details for himself. Telling his supervisor he had to go audition for AC/DC, he left work early and made the hour drive to his friend’s in disbelief.
Jeff Young is the founder and school-boy outfit-wearing lead guitar player of Thunderstruck, an AC/DC tribute band from Raleigh. He received the initial call from CAA Ltd. and in doubt of the validity called the agency back. Young hand-picked Robinson to front his re-envisioned tribute to his idols after hearing the young man sing Highway to Hell at a local biker bar. The then 24-year-old had never fronted a band and had doubts he could do the gig. But Young only had to hear one song and knew the kid was the one.
That was just 2.5 years ago. Thunderstruck, who bill themselves as the most authentic sounding AC/DC tribute show in the southeastern US, have steadily climbed in popularity with Robinson at their helm, learning not only the nuances of AC/DC but how to front a band along the way. The opportunity to audition for one of the most iconic rock groups in the world after such a short time was a concept too unbelievable to grasp.
Five days later Robinson found himself on the short flight to Atlanta to do just that.
“I didn’t sleep for like 3 days,” Robinson says. “I was studying the songs.” Then he laughed, a little worried his mind would go blank face-to-face with legends. While having dinner with the crew the evening before the audition he learned Brian Johnson always used a teleprompter and it would be at the studio. “When I heard that I pretty much passed out. I didn’t have to worry about forgetting the lyrics anymore!”
On March 14 he entered the Atlanta studio where AC/DC were conducting the auditions. After jamming with the road crew to warm up, Robinson finally met Angus and Stevie Young, Cliff Williams and Chris Slade; he was ready to rock.
But first, the Australians needed to eat. Seated on a couch between the two Youngs, he was served tea by Angus Young’s wife, Ellen as they ate burgers and discussed the journey that brought Robinson to Atlanta.
Bass player Cliff Williams discovered the Thunderstruck singer and suggested him as an option. “He hung with me the whole time. Cliff found us on YouTube!” Robinson said.
There was no doubt the band members had done their research. The fact that Thunderstuck performed live in standard did not go unnoticed. The Carolina rocker was one of the few to audition in the same key the songs were written versus tuning down a half-step. “Stevie said ‘Hell yeah, that’s the right way to do it’ when I asked if we could do the audition in standard.” Robinson continued, “but that’s the only way I know how to sing it!”
After lunch the atmosphere changed to the business of rock. Robinson’s uncertainty quickly melted away. “Yeah, once they started playing I was just excited and was just standing there like what the hell. I’m playing with AC/DC!”
They performed four songs before the band took a smoke break, leaving the crooner alone in the massive studio. Dwarfed by AC/DC’s full accompaniment of live performance Marshall stacks and in the presence of greatness Robinson thought the audition might be over. But after the band re-enterred he realized he was just getting started.
For almost two hours Lee Robinson, a construction worker from a small town in the Carolinas lived every AC/DC fan’s dream. And it was LOUD. “Chris Slade hit the drums so hard I kept moving forward ‘cause I thought it was Angus behind me!” he exclaimed.
Speaking of Angus Young, with Malcom Young’s retirement the sole patriarch of this bastion of rock was a presence much larger than his slight stature would indicate possible. “Even just standing there playing in rehearsal he had enormous energy,” Robinson described. Despite Young’s uncontainable charisma he was reserved throughout the audition, leaving his thoughts until the end.
Performing all but two songs on the Rock or Bust setlist, Robinson found the band eager to take suggestions. “They didn’t want a Brian Johnson copy.” Robinson said. “They wanted someone who could make it their own.” In addition to the current tour set, Robinson belted out favorites like What Do You Do For Money, Honey; Given’ the Dog a Bone; Sin City; Guns for Hire; and a few more.
After the last song, Young finally had something to say to the young rocker. “‘Whatever happens,’ he told me, ‘you’ve got a helluva voice.’” said Robinson, still in awe of the moment.
Robinson flew home to North Carolina the next day, and waited. He had a gentleman’s agreement with the guys. Until we say something, you don’t say anything.
When the message arrived about 10 days later, the outcome was not what he had hoped. The official announcement this week of Axl Rose being named as Johnson’s replacement for the remainder of the tour swept the world like wildfire. And Robinson could finally share his experience.
Back home in the Tarheel state, Robinson found himself even more excited about Thunderstruck and the summer and years ahead. With dates currently booked in both North Carolina and Virginia, Jeff Young, Lee Robinson and the rest of the band are committed to their vision of giving an authentic, high-energy tribute to AC/DC fans. In addition to performing with Thunderstruck, Robinson will also be filling in for Back in Black’s Darren Caperno on select overseas performances.
Even though he didn’t get the gig, for one day Robinson got to stand in the shoes of Brian Johnson and Bon Scott and sing in the presence of heroes of rock ‘n roll. And if Axl Rose needs a break at the Greensboro show, well, they know who in the audience to call on.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

He has a meeting booked with this guy and it might be all looking good again. Brian said he is ready to get back on stage :)

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That's pretty damn cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mofodoobs

Post by mofodoobs »

It's all gone Peter Tong
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

So the bands future is in doubt as Angus doesn't know if AC/DC will continue. Cliff Williams will be "backing off touring and recording". He lives in Florida close to Brian Johnson. 20th September in Philadelphia might be their last show! :sadbanana: