Proud to be a Claret

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: Proud to be a Claret

Post by Big Kev »

Just watching todays game on MOTD having not seen the score. 4-0 down so far after 20 mins and people look like they're leaving the ground already!
Gonna be a tough last 5 or 6 games for your boys.

But on a lighter note, the Toon are only 1 point away from promotion :D
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Bloody hell, what a night for EPL drama.

Watched United v Chelsea, was an exciting game. The two dodgy goals cancel each other out, so Chelsea win this one fair in my opinion. Title race wide open because i watched Arsenal v Wolves afterwards, was only a matter of when were Arsenal going to score. 90+4 mins in, would have been last chance of the game keeping Arsenal in the title race.

Clarets 1-6, ouch!

Caught the Bundesliga highlights as Bayern had to beat Schalke (1st) to go top. Thank god.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Big Kev wrote:But on a lighter note, the Toon are only 1 point away from promotion :D
Getting ready to hand over the keys of the "my team in the Premiership" thread to you Kev :)

Well, the party is over for the Clarets. The first 20 mins was typical of every performance since the first 3 or 4 games of the season. Coyle obviously knew he wasn't going to change the dreadfull defending habits of the team and Laws seems to have even less clue. Our only hope is a win against Hull next week, somehow managing to pick up some points at home against Liverpool and Spurs and that Hull and West Ham get nothing for the rest of the season. :dead:

Edit: grats on mkaing it back to the prem Kev :yes:
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Well now, could this be the start of the great escape...... ? Not very probable but you never know.

Hull 1 Clarets 4

Looked like Man City all over again as Hull scored within the first 3 mins but the boys fought back and ran out easy winners. First win of the season away from home, probably too little too late. The only other game today saw West Ham win which doesn't help out and the gap to Prem survival stands at 4 pts with 4 games to go... time to start growing the fingernails :D
markus

Post by markus »

Johnny X wrote: Hull 1 Clarets 4
:nod: even the finnish media noticed :faint:

Much cycling such kilometers.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Nice pic....

"Let me see your war face... Bullshit, you don't scare me"
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

:( Probably last chance gone now :(

Sunderland 2 Clarets 1

3 games to go, Liverpool at home, Birmingham away and Spurs at home, don't see much joy there :shake:
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Yeah that's it for Burnley now.

How about this premier league battle though. The two favourites for their respective games lost, one point for the lead and Spurs into top four. Crazy!
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yeah I think so too. They'd have to win at least 4 points out of the remaining 9 without West Ham getting any. Tall order but WH aren't playing well either.
My Flickr Stream
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Clarets 0 Liverpool 4

:( That's it, it's all over. The Clarets stay in the premier Division has ended :(

GL to the Toon for next season, hopefully we'll be coming back, although to be honest I think I can see a struggle ahead.

Off to drown my sorrows....
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Score doesn't really tell much on how that game really went, 0-0 at half time. Burnley put in a good showing. It took for an unlucky deflection own goal to get them undone and absolute Gerrard class for the second goal. The fourth was lucky as The Beast almost stopped Babel's effort. Babel/Ngog really do nothing for me in Liverpool colours, never have. Without Torres, Liverpool are lucky Gerrard was on target.

Also watched the Birmingham derby game, good close game with the goalkeepers the best players at either end, Hart did well with Capello at the game watching.

Then saw the Stamford Bridge exhibition match on goal scoring, need two more decent performances to ensure United don't win it.

On a side note, have either of you guys been to Emirates or Stamford Bridge? Thinking i might do the tour/museum thing at one of the grounds when i head over in May.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Not been to either of the grounds, I'm sure either one will be an interesting place to look around.. Better still, try Turf Moor hehe :D

Alternatively if you are visiting anywhere near Manchester there's the National Football Museum :yes:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Burnley's away form is what killed them. Only one win and one draw away from home. You just can't survive without away points. They also let in 50 goals in 18 games.

Sort out the defence and the away form and you'll come straight back up. Hope they do too, because they've been an entertaining team to watch.
My Flickr Stream
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

You're not wrong but it does go a little deeper than that. The Clarets have been pretty naive when it comes to defending. It's ok having a policy for playing attacking, passing football and not taking the kick and run approach but if you're prepared to commit players forward they have to get back and defend as well and that's where they have come unstuck on most occasions, even if they had had the pace to combat flowing counter-attacking football that the top sides are so good at.

To be honest I think the board at Turf Moor weren't expecting to stay in the Premier League and have used the opportunity to balance the books and get some experience. I hope they learned the lessons and that they can keep hold of a few of the decent, and relatively cheap signings they have made. They have thier parachute payments to keep the financial side of the club strong and should be in with a shout of a return. Maybe not next year but the year after that. Hoping so :nod:
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Final away game of the season ends in defeat in the Midlands.

Birmingham 2 Clarets 1

On the bright side, the Clarets have the chance for a place in European competition next season. If Fulham win the Europa league final then the Clarets will get a Europa spot next season :yikes:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Will they?
How does that work?
My Flickr Stream
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

It's complicated but it all boils down to the fact that Portsmouth didn't apply for a licence to play in Europe next season but had won a place by virtue of making it to the FA cup final. Cheslki already have thier Champions League spot so Pompey would have got a place in the Europa League. Pompey's appeal has failed so there is a spot open which goes to teams depending on thier position in the Fair Play League. This is run over the season with all UEFA leagues. The EPL currently sits 3rd and all the teams above Burnley in the Fair Play League have already qualified except Fulham. If Fulham win the Europa League final against Atletico Madrid then they will qualify as winners of the competition and the last spot available will go to The Clarets as long as they don't get half the team sent off against Spurs in the final game next week. If Fulham don't win the competition then we don't get that spot. :eyepop:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Ah, fair play league. I forgot about that. I was thinking how come Burnley get in at the expense of the 15 teams between you and the top slots :)
My Flickr Stream
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Well, final game of the season is over and the Clarets come from 2 down after 30 mins to win :)

Clarets 4 Spurs 2

The win elevates us above Hull and gives us another £800,000 or so, money that Hull could well have done with, and we possibly have our place in European football next season as well.

Congrats to Chelski on winning the Premiership by scraping past Wigan with an 8 - 0 scoreline, Drogba scored a few to pip Rooney to the Golden Boot as well.

All the best to Newcastle for next season, and hopefully there will be some North West interest in the form of Blackpool who are trying to do a Burnley and get through the play offs.

:yes:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Some cracking opening fixtures for the new season

Aston Villa v West Ham

Blackburn v Everton

Blackpool v Wigan

Bolton v Fulham

Chelsea v West Brom

Liverpool v Arsenal

Manchester United v Newcastle

Sunderland v Birmingham

Tottenham v Man City

Wolverhampton v Stoke

Tough one for the Toon against Man U.
My Flickr Stream
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Mmmmm Liverpool v Arsenal is the pick of the bunch. Nice opener for whoever steps into Raffas shoes. Spurs v Man City is another good looking game. Nice opener for Blackpool, really pleased they made, hope they don't get annhialated although Holloway is a good manager, better than the turncoat Coyle and the inept Laws that we had to put up with :D

Have some faith Kev, I think ManUre are usually slow starters. We managed to take them out early on, no reason the Toon can't :yes:
Montey

Post by Montey »

I saw that draw and palm-faced myself.

Every season (in the PL) Newcastle seems to draw one of the top of the table clubs. Newcastle were hoping to take some momentum from our Championship efforts in to the new season in the PL, but it looks like the FA want to stop that as soon as possible. What better way by welcoming the Toon back to the PL with a 5-0 thumping by ManU.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Oo Martin O'Neill has quit as villa boss. I wonder if the Toon might try to snap him up.
My Flickr Stream
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Crikey, that's a bit of a shocker. I wonder if we can persuade him to stay Claret and Blue :D

:shake:
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Can't wait for it all to kick start! At last!!