Proud to be a Claret

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Proud to be a Claret

Post by Johnny X »

Probably means sweet FA to you guys but yesterday afternoon my home town football team won the richest game in league football to return to the English Premier division for the first time in over 30 years. Burnley is a small town in the north west of the UK with a population of around 65,000 , half of which travelled to Wembley to see the team beat Sheffield United 1 - 0 in the play off final to get back where they belong.

It's been no mean feat over the last 30 years or so for the team, who were one of the founder members of the football league back in the 1880's, to get back up there. They nearly lost thier football league status in 1987, having to win on the final day of the season to avoid relegation out of the league, This year has seen them reach the the semis and quarters of both cup competitions, beating the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and several other premier league sides, they've played the most matches throughout the season of any team bar Man U (61 games) with the smallest squad and a team that cost less than 3 million.

Sorry for prattling on but it's just a great time to be a Claret and a huge lift for the town

Carn you Clarets..... :D

Any of you Melbourneites travelling through the Burnley tunnel today please give a cheer and celebrate with us :yes:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: Proud to be a Claret

Post by Big Kev »

I'm passing you like a ship in the night, being a Newcastle fan.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Well done Burnley. I might make them my 2nd team, seeing as Kev's mob was my 2nd Premier league team. Works out nicely actually. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Commiserations Kev, I'm sure the Toon army will be back soon enough :yes:

Norbs, prepare yourself for a rollercoaster ride if you adopt the Clarets :nod: It'll be a tough season but they have the right mental attitude and play the right kind of football to survive. I can't wait myself :vibes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

well ill go one better than norbs :D and make them my 1st team... since i have no team that i follow in the english premier league. I quite like soccer, years ago i woudlnt have said that, but the world cup got me more into it. Im not sure we get to see many games.... but ill be goin for Burnley if they televise it :)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

It's good to see some other teams getting up. I would've never thought Newcastle would get relegated in my lifetime, but there ya go. Good luck to the teams that haven't been up there for a while..... but The Red Devils are full of win and all others are fail.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Montey

Post by Montey »

The really annoying thing about this is that I am in the opposite situation.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Geordie (my old man was born in Newcastle and lived his first years of life in Gateshead) I am experiencing the horrors of relegation to the fizzy-pop cup (Coca-Cola Championship). So enjoy your time in the top flight... we'll keep your spot warm for you for the 2010/2011 season.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Wade Elliot's goal was brilliant, and the run leading to it. Good on him. Sheffield Utd started stronger in my opinion but the goal just seemed to completely knock them, they never looked the same. Good luck to them, was good to watch. Depresses me with the finals happening, means the off-season is almost here... BORING!!!
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

As you can imagine, it was a great night in Burnley last night. Team did an open top bus tour of the town and then the residents of Burnley partied the night away :vibes:

[youtube] [/youtube]

Dex, it's football NOT soccer ok :) We don't want any American bastardisations around here hehe... welcome aboard the Burnley bandwagon :yes:
Montey

Post by Montey »

Burnley FC: King of the Shits!

NUFC: Shit of the Kings!
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
fp

Post by fp »

somebloke wrote:Depresses me with the finals happening, means the off-season is almost here... BORING!!!
bah, rather than watching teams on the otherside of the world play at 3AM, take the European off-season (and the Speedway off-season), to get out and see some State Leage or regional league games in your area on the weekends.
Plus the A-League teams are begining their pre-season trial exhebitions against local sides.
It might not be EPL qualify, but nothing beats actaully being there. :nod:

And congrats Johhny and the Clarets.
I'm a infamous supporter of the underdog, so I'll have my on on Burnley next year, much like I did with Hull this year.
Speaking of which, I think Hull may have created history this season... I don't think any other team in Premiership history have gone from battling for the Premiership lead after 8 rounds, to battling to avoid relegation in the final weeks of the same season!
This will be my signature until Dexter Bean qualifies for a NASCAR race. Keep chasing that dream...
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Fixture list for the 09/10 season has been released and the Premier League new boys have been given a tough start to the season. An away day at Stoke for the season opener is followed by the Clarets taking on 3 of last seasons 4 top sides in the next 4 games :yikes:

Man U at home, Everton at home, Chelsea away and then Liverpool away... a daunting start to the season :melt:

Full fixture list

Fingers crossed :nod:
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

go Burnley

Im on board :up: sounds like they are more arse than class. suits us fine :D
--------------
Stu
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I go for everyone but Man U! So goooo Claret!
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Turf Moor

what sort of name is that for a home ground. sounds like the fog comes down all the time :)

just doing some research on the lads :up:
--------------
Stu
fp

Post by fp »

A much better name than 'Ethiad', 'Telstra', 'ANZ', 'Westpac', 'Suncorp', 'Aurora', 'AAMI', etc.
IMΟ, the name of the home ground should be as sacred as the pitch itself, and not up for grabs to the highest bidder.
This will be my signature until Dexter Bean qualifies for a NASCAR race. Keep chasing that dream...
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

There's a neat history of the club here

Turf Moor, in all probability, relates to the fact that Burnley is surrounded by moors and countryside. In fact, if you look at the origins of the towns name, Burnley is derived from Brun Lea, Brun relating to a river that runs through the area and Lea is a medi-eval name for a field or a meadow. I live less than a couple of miles from the ground and we are surrounded by Lake District-esque countryside (minus the Lakes but with a couple of reservoirs :) )

The area where the football gound is located has allways been called Turf Moor, even when it was a cricket ground (which is still there) before the football club paid the princely sum of £65 to move in next door. In fact, in the seventies and early eighties you could watch the cricket from the Longside if the football wasn't too entertaining :nod: :D

We clarets are proud of the name of our ground and we (hopefully) won't be selling out like some of the clubs who have built new stadia, naming them with stuff like The Reebok Stadium or the Ricoh Arena or the Emirates Stadium etc... unless some well known big business comes in and pays for the stadium to be redeveloped :)

Just to give you some sense of perspective, the capacity at Turf Moor is just over 22K, the whole population of Burnley would fit into Old Trafford (Man U) with 10K seats empty :eek:

... oh yeh, we don't get much mist and fog around here either.... :D
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Ahhhhhh, I remember when Leicester City made it back to the Premier League. Congrats to Burnley.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Well, the season proper kicks off tomorrow afternoon, doesn't seem like five minutes since we were celebrating winning the play-off final and getting back to the top division. Pre season has seen the boys getting beaten quite regularly, which doesn't bode well for the season but we live in hope. There have been a few signings but nothing of note, no big name players with big salaries attached.

Soooo, off to Stoke tomorrow, who did a great job of surviving thier first season in the Premiership last year and will no doubt give us a hard game to welcome us into the top flight.

Match Preview
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

dare to dream boys :up:
--------------
Stu
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

:( Well, the dream start hasn't happened. 2-0 defeat at Stoke. Man U next at home on Weds night.... :fall:

Lacking a little in firepower up front, unlucky to give away an own goal from one of Rory Delaps mutant long throws. Not too depressed yet, it took five games to get off the mark last season.

Carn you Clarets !!!! :D
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

I think the relegation battle this year could well be huge. There's at least 6 teams that are capable of filling that bottom three. Going to be a very tough year for Burnley i think. I dread the score against Man United for the Clarets.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

we were discussing our newly adopted team at work today (yes I have my work mates on board) and we are not predicting a win until October

go Clarets, prove me wrong :D
--------------
Stu
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

:yikes: Time to get back on track with the visit of Man U at home tonight. united without a few key players and not being utterly convincing in thier first game of the season hopes are high (well, you gotta look on the bright side :eek: )

The thoughts of the manager :

BURNLEY FC will look to make life as uncomfortable as it was for the four Premier League teams they beat at home last season in the cups, and manager Owen Coyle is looking back on famous nights against Fulham, Arsenal, Spurs and West Brom.
Coyle said: "The atmosphere will be brilliant, and we will have to replicate the form we showed against the elite teams in the cup last year.

"If we do that, we have a chance, but we will have to be at our maximum, anything less and we will be undone. If we get to that standard and consistency, I've no doubt we can win points."

United are likely to be without Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Jonny Evans, Gary Neville and Rafa da Silva tomorrow night, while the Clarets will miss Steven Caldwell and Michael Duff - although David Edgar is available after suspension.

Coyle saw United beat Birmingham City 1-0 at Old Trafford on Sunday, and despite their defensive options being stretched, he expects a stern test: "We scrutinised their game on Sunday, as we do, and at any given moment they can show their quality, they pass and move the ball so effectively, pace and power in abundance, so that's why they are one of the best teams in world football.

"But we'll do everything we can to go and try to get about the champions and show we can play a little bit."

GL Clarets... hope it isn't a landslide :D
Montey

Post by Montey »