We got the Olympics

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Re: We got the Olympics

Post by durbster »

DexterPunk wrote:I reckon I've watched about 15 mins worth of the Olympics this time around. The coverage is too jumpy, I just want to watch one sport properly instead of back and forth all over the joint. Probably doesn't help that the Aussies are absolute rubbish this time around.
I suspect it's UK only but can you get to the BBC's online coverage? Every event is being covered in full so if you can get it, you can watch whatever you want. It helps massively because if there's no Team GB in an event, I'm not that interested :D

We've got something like 25 new TV channels dedicated to the coverage as well so it's pretty good here. I've never known anything like it.

And I've also never heard commentary so unashamedly bias either. It's like being back in Oz. :lol: :melt:
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Summs up sailing
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

durbster wrote:We've got something like 25 new TV channels dedicated to the coverage as well so it's pretty good here. I've never known anything like it.
Yeah I think it's been pretty good. Sky added 24 SD and 24 HD channels for the BBC to use to cover the sports. Each one has had something different on so we've been able to watch any sport live at at any time. Add to that live feed online on each event. I've barely moved from the sofa :D
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I've yet to watch a single second on TV. Didn't even catch any of the opening ceremony on the news or anything. I'm not going out of my way to avoid it and if channel 9 could tell us exactly when I certain sport was on (in the TV guide), I would probably tune in to catch some of the ones we don't usually get to see. I play hockey so wouldn't mind seeing some of that.

Our TV is pretty much on ABC4Kids or something we've downloaded.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

does this work for you? http://www.tvcatchup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
pab

Post by pab »

Woodee wrote:does this work for you? http://www.tvcatchup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, we can reach the login screen fine, but if I go to the signup page it tells you it's only available in the UK (I wonder if we got you to signup for us if we'd be able to login and view, probably not, but perhaps worth a try with one account given I can access the login page).
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Australia can't be beaten in the 49er class now. All Outerridge and Jensen have to do is sail. :aussie:
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Neat gigapixel image of the stadium
http://www.sphericalimages.com/getty/lo ... /tour.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

pab wrote:
Woodee wrote:does this work for you? http://www.tvcatchup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, we can reach the login screen fine, but if I go to the signup page it tells you it's only available in the UK (I wonder if we got you to signup for us if we'd be able to login and view, probably not, but perhaps worth a try with one account given I can access the login page).
try logging in with "arseforum" and password "ilovearse69"
My Fundraising Journey

pab

Post by pab »

Lets me login, select a channel, but then when I try to play it gives a can't connect error, if I try to view in the old web player it says rejected: none UK, so it looks like close, but no cigar. Thanks for trying Woodee.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

pab wrote:Lets me login, select a channel, but then when I try to play it gives a can't connect error, if I try to view in the old web player it says rejected: none UK, so it looks like close, but no cigar. Thanks for trying Woodee.
No probs.... can you get a UK proxy? http://www.hidemyass.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Fundraising Journey

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Nah. That wouldn't work for me.

Did the Hide My Ass thing but went to log in and didn't even get beyond the login screen. Got further before just using the TVCatchup login.

*EDIT* Finally did get in but got "Missing channel ID". No joy.

Tried daveproxy.co.uk but it was too slow to load properly. Probably getting hammered at the moment.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Only one thing for it then - you've got four days to fly over and watch it here.

We have a spare bed.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

J.D. wrote:Nah. That wouldn't work for me.

Did the Hide My Ass thing but went to log in and didn't even get beyond the login screen. Got further before just using the TVCatchup login.

*EDIT* Finally did get in but got "Missing channel ID". No joy.

Tried daveproxy.co.uk but it was too slow to load properly. Probably getting hammered at the moment.

Tried HDTV JD? It works for me in a virtual machine on my iMac.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

How do I do it norbs?

I have no idea.

Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

http://www.vipbox.tv/olympics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/others.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - remember to set the clock
My Fundraising Journey

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Thanks Woodee.

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Sailing gold number 3.

I think the Beeb might have lost a few cameras after this. You might have noticed the pods on the stern of each boat, transmitting live, on-board pictures. At the finish, everyone capsized and I reckon all those cameras got drowned in sea water. :yikes:

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

J.D. wrote:Sailing gold number 3.

I think the Beeb might have lost a few cameras after this. You might have noticed the pods on the stern of each boat, transmitting live, on-board pictures. At the finish, everyone capsized and I reckon all those cameras got drowned in sea water. :yikes:

Surely they are water proof?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I don't actually know norbs. I'm basing my thinking on what I know of the Flir camera on our helicopter.

They were splash proof, for sure - we saw pictures where the lens had water on it - but I don't know if they could stand up to full immersion for several minutes. They were mounted on a hot head so they could move the shot around to get the other boats and those things have a lot of bearings and interconnects which would be difficult to seal. I'm only basing my thinking on the fact that we saw nothing from them after the finish. Of course, it might not have been the camera, it might have been the (data) link.

Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Steve Hooker interview

Steve, did one of your sandshoes blow out as many people believe or did you just fuck up?

No Darryl, I just fucked up

Well you have to admit you did look like a real dickhead out there today.
--------------
Stu
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Steve Hooker is the second highest pole vaulter in history, behind Sergei Bubka, who did basically the same thing at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992.

Two years ago, his coach Alex Parnov decided to make fundamental changes to the technique which had got Hooker over 6.06m, a World Championship, an Olympic gold medal and and Olympic record (which was broken last night). He has never been the same since. In fact this year was the first time he has got within 30cms of his best.

All athletes in the vertical jumps have basically the same philosophy: come in at a height you can make 9 times out of 10. That's how I used to do it and they still do it the same way today (I was a failed high jumper but a successful coach). On that basis, even the world number 1 will no-height twice in one season. Embarrassing but you wear it.

Just a pity it happened at the Olympics.

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I don't know if anyone has seen the women's match racing tonight but it has been brutal. Wind was a solid 24kts with really testy seas. In the third race of five, the Australian boat crash gybed while doing about 12kts and ejected the skipper over the stern. The Spanish crew won that and ended up ahead 2-1. It's 2 all and I'm gunna watch the last.

Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Wont argue with you about the history of Hooker. He has done Australia proud.

But he he choked 6-12 months out from the games and should never have been given the chance to choke on the biggest stage of all. He should have retired with the dignity that a gold medallist deserves.

If Bolt isnt running sub 10 seconds in 4 years time he will not be there in Brazil as the great hope of Jamaica. Maybe he will if he is still the best they have but it is a fall from grace when you cant do something anymore like you once could.
--------------
Stu
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Hooker didn't choke, he no-heighted. As I said already, it happens to all of them an average of twice per season. The same thing happened to Bubka in the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 and he was the greatest of all time. Hooker will go out and do 5.70 at a Grand Prix meet next week and someone else will be gnashing his teeth. That's how pole vaulting and high jumping works. It's the nature of the event and the two can only really be compared to each other. The only other sport which has this sort of structure is weightlifting so comparing with Bolt is not a very accurate measure.

On the subject of whether he should have been there in the first place, Hooker had achieved an Olympic A qualification before the due time so there was every reason to be there. He had more reason to be there than Genevieve LaCaze, who did her qualifier a day after the due date and was never a medal prospect anyway. Officials were roundly criticised by the public for refusing her entry - some sympathy for the pretty blonde girl with the pouty lips - and their decision was overturned. With an elite athlete like Steve Hooker, you never know what they will do. He could have done 5.90 and got a medal and we wouldn't even be talking about it.

In fairness to LaCaze, she did run a PB in London but realistically, she was never going to progress beyond the heats.