We got the Olympics

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: We got the Olympics

Post by norbs »

I watched the first 2 races of the sailing last night. I realise there is a lot of skill involved, but jesus there is some luck as well. Seeing the boats accelerate down the waves was great, but it is pot luck as well.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Sure is!

The wind was pretty strong and those boats are very touchy. You get an unfavourable wave just as you hit peak speed, then the wind seems to go soft and if you're rolling to the wrong side, there's nothing to stop the boom going over the cockpit. That's why the Australian boat crash gybed (we used to call it a Chinese gybe but I don't think that's allowed any more!). Unfavourable waves is also the reason why they scored a penalty in the last race, although I think they made a mistake by gybing where they did.

In the end, it's the crew who makes the fewest mistakes who win and Spain proved that last night. Australia was all over them for boat speed but made too many errors.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
norbs

Post by norbs »

J.D. wrote:Sure is!

The wind was pretty strong and those boats are very touchy. You get an unfavourable wave just as you hit peak speed, then the wind seems to go soft and if you're rolling to the wrong side, there's nothing to stop the boom going over the cockpit. That's why the Australian boat crash gybed (we used to call it a Chinese gybe but I don't think that's allowed any more!). Unfavourable waves is also the reason why they scored a penalty in the last race, although I think they made a mistake by gybing where they did.

In the end, it's the crew who makes the fewest mistakes who win and Spain proved that last night. Australia was all over them for boat speed but made too many errors.
The Aussie team was pretty young wasn't it?
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Yeah and the average age is just 22. Olivia Price, the skipper, has just turned 20! Too bad there won't be another women's match racing regatta in 2016.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Amazing picture of Bolt near the finish
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

[youtube] [/youtube]
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Very odd final ceremony.

No idea what most of this is about.

George Michael should be a better mimer than that by now. Someone seemingly didn't turn up the levels on Annie Lennox. It's a bit of a UK has-been-fest at the moment.
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

German storm troopers shaking hands with victorian people and then getting in a cannon. oohh kay
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Just seems to be a big incoherent mess of songs.

Best bit so far is a video screen of the long dead Freddie Mercury from Live Aid in 1985!
My Flickr Stream
norbs

Post by norbs »

2000 olympics in Sydney GB 28 medals and 10th in medal count. Australia 58 medals and 4th.
2012 London GB 65 and 3rd. Australia 35 and 10th

Doesn't look like such a massive disaster for Australia when you look at those numbers.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

It's just the end of the world because the swimming team got 2nd all of the time. Slash their fat wallets and tell them to get off their arses...
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Seems you were right Bauer:

http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/athle ... 2436q.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I actually know Rob Fildes - my Dad used to coach him - and I'm trying to see a positive in this but there really isn't one.

My humbles to you.

Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Absolutely loved those 2 weeks. Just went along for the ride with Channel 9 and watched what was on, sure there was some annoying stuff but not having the choice to switch between events meant I watched events I would never normally watch and learnt a lot along the way. Having it in HD was amazing to, it made a big difference to a lot of events.
Two things though:

1. Phil Liggett is a machine! 3 weeks of TdF and then straight into 2 full weeks in London, that guy must seriously love cycling!

2. The Spainsh basketball team is full of colossal douches and deserves to be stripped of their silver medals. Deliberately losing a group match got the badminton players kicked out so they deserve the same fate and that is before all the crap they pulled in the gold medal game - yet they get lauded as brave fighters for spending the whole game trying to spark a fight. Wankers the lot of them. No wonder Nic Batum went spastic towards the end of their quarter final and tried to pulverise Navarro.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

[youtube] [/youtube]
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Given we host the games so rarely and we also have an agining population this makes for interesting reading:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/821 ... edal-count" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XLV SPORT
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Jiminee wrote:Absolutely loved those 2 weeks. Just went along for the ride with Channel 9 and watched what was on, sure there was some annoying stuff but not having the choice to switch between events meant I watched events I would never normally watch and learnt a lot along the way. Having it in HD was amazing to, it made a big difference to a lot of events.
As one who works in the industry, it's so nice to hear positive comments like this. Taking on the Olympics is a bit of a poisoned chalice. You can't please everyone and in the effort to please as many as possible, you end up pleasing nobody a lot of the time.
1. Phil Liggett is a machine! 3 weeks of TdF and then straight into 2 full weeks in London, that guy must seriously love cycling!
Phil Liggett really is a machine! Was I the only one who thought he sounded really uncomfortable having to talk about BMX as an Olympic sport?

That Clarke and Dawe one is piss funny.

Speed

Post by Speed »

I really enjoyed the Olympics & I've been lucky enough to have it on all day everyday in the background.

Fox Sports had pretty awesome coverage with 8 dedicated channels 24/7.....looking forward to the next one. :yes:
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Am amazed it is over already. I still didn't see a single event! Olympics are great for those that want to watch them but I'm glad that at the same time, our methods of viewing TV have diversified enough that those that don't care don't have to be flooded with Olympics footage at every opportunity. I followed enough of what was going on through online news but in the end am glad it's gone for another 4 years.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Their choices for commentary worked pretty well to. Obviously they are going to use their own people but bringing in an expert in each field was a nice touch and they seemed to restrict the puff pieces to the times when their was limited live action.
I certainly got sucked in a few times and stayed up much too late, especially the middle weekend and a quarter final womens water polo match between Australia and China that went to penalties, was just fantastic sport.
Ken Sutcliff's comments on the USA basketball celebrations were unnecessary though, those guys did nothing worse than Usain Bolt yet him putting in his stuffed shirt comment about "we could do without this" was rude. Seeing guys on 10-20 mill a year getting excited about a gold medal was great to see, of course they were expected to win but they still had to do the job while being judged as ambassadors for the sport and resisting the niggling Spain were dishing out relentlessly. They deserved a few minutes of carrying on especially as it was all done after they shook hands with Spain.
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

J.D. wrote:
Jiminee wrote:Absolutely loved those 2 weeks. Just went along for the ride with Channel 9 and watched what was on, sure there was some annoying stuff but not having the choice to switch between events meant I watched events I would never normally watch and learnt a lot along the way. Having it in HD was amazing to, it made a big difference to a lot of events.
As one who works in the industry, it's so nice to hear positive comments like this. Taking on the Olympics is a bit of a poisoned chalice. You can't please everyone and in the effort to please as many as possible, you end up pleasing nobody a lot of the time.
Phil Liggett really is a machine! Was I the only one who thought he sounded really uncomfortable having to talk about BMX as an Olympic sport?

That Clarke and Dawe one is piss funny.
He actually said before hand that MTB and BMX have no place in the olympics.http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012/07/olympic-rumblings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stupid old fuck. He should give it away. He makes so many mistakes these days he make Murray Walker at the end of his career look like a pro.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

norbs wrote:He actually said before hand that MTB and BMX have no place in the olympics.
Well, it did cost us some Olympic classics like the 1km time trial, which I'd rather see. It also cost us the points race. Whether trading those two to get BMX was worth it is a matter of opinion. I don't think it was.
Jiminee wrote:Their choices for commentary worked pretty well to. Obviously they are going to use their own people but bringing in an expert in each field was a nice touch and they seemed to restrict the puff pieces to the times when their was limited live action.
Linford Christie, Michael Johnson and Daley Thompson were great. The three-way panel interview on the Saturday night, before Bolt's 100m win, was just riveting. And the payout on Carl Lewis...well, that was priceless.

Anyone want to take a bet on him turning up in Rio all of a sudden...?

Gold medal for pure awesomeness goes to Usain Bolt for celebrating his 100m win with the entire Swedish women's handball team. As my brother said, there isn't a word in the English language to describe that.

Take it away boys.

Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Bill Simmons advised on the merits of the Sweedish handball team, I missed them sadly.
It was also interesting to note the gaining of knowledge of the likes of Brayshaw and Slater as the two weeks progressed. I can understand why some people would be put off by their styles but I respect them taking on something new and putting in the effort to learn as they went along.

And Carl Lewis deserves a spot on the Spainish basketball team for his douche bagery. Only good thing to come out of it was I assume a lot more people now know that HE was busted for stimulants 3 times in his career and never punished. Bolt has been tested every time he has won and as far as I know has never turned up anything positive. The suspicion is there, that is part and parcle of the age we live and I am all for vilifying those who do test positive, but until then he is clean.

I have not even heard of circumstantial evidence of the sort that hounds Lance Armstrong.
XLV SPORT
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I got a lot of entertainment out of James Brayshaw and James Tompkins. I was actually waiting for JT to say "It's rowing Jim but not as we know it."

They were pretty good and made what for me is an unexciting sport into something I could watch.

Glad they used the Beeb for the sailing.

Anyone else think this headline was in poor taste?

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/08/1 ... nish-last/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Standard fare for them.

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That is poor taste. Who cares if he finishes last, just getting there was awesome for him and shows others that their disability may limit them at times but great things can still be achieved. I say bloody good on him :yes:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.