Proud to be a Geordie

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: Proud to be a Geordie

Post by Johnny X »

Bauer wrote:since this is the premier soccer thread:

I noticed Cardiff joins the EPL this year. Havent been in top flight football since the 20's or something like that.

My questions - Will they be like Burnley and disappear after 1 year? and are there other teams from outside England that play in the football structure. I never realised that Cardiff was part of it.

Might go for them this year :D
I suspect Cardiff will put up a better fight to stay in the EPL than Burnley did.

The likes of Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham (Wrexham?... blew em to bits) have been involved in English leagues for a good number of years. There is a Welsh premier league http://www.welshpremier.com/default.ink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; including teams such as Airbus UK.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Wrexham are my 'home town' team. I walked passed the ground to go to college every day. They used to be huge but then fell on hard times and dropped out of the league. They narrowly missed promotion last season and I think they'll probably get back in this time round as they've got some good investment and are building a decent squad.

As for Cardiff, there are a fair few clubs that are ripe for relegation this year. All the promoted ones always are. Stoke now have Mark Hughes as manager so they must be a good bet :) Fulham and Villa only just stayed up last year too so they'll be there as well.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I've been sitting here thinking "Mark Hughes, where do I know that name from?" Then the coin drop, Man U days with bent nose Bruce leading them and karate kick Cantona.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

One of my favourite moments would have to be Wolfie and the pigs. I can't find a better clip but the crowd were shouting "C'mon Wolfie, C'mon Wolfie!"

[youtube] [/youtube]
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Did I see that the Toon got hammered today.

That puts them at the bottom of the table doesn't it. But worse still, it puts them below the Mackems.

Eeee yer bugger.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Indeedy. They played shite last night though. Give it a couple more games and the fans will be calling for the new managers head. I dunno why he went there. He had a nice quiet job at Derby County which he left to manage an unmanageable team of wasters. They have no club passion there any more.
My Flickr Stream
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

And here I was hoping the passion for putting Chelsea in the bottom three would have been enough :P
Montey

Post by Montey »

I think there is still plenty of passion around NUFC, the evidence for passion is the level of rage that is expressed when the team is performing so poorly.

A contrast to NUFC is SAFC, where the fans are either not turning up to games at all, or if they do they are leaving 3/4 of the way through a game just because they are losing; NUFC regularly uses 100% of its away allocation even when travelling to the other end of the country.

NUFC played particularly badly on Monday night (Tuesday morning our time), but I think we're still some way off panic stations. We have some individual players (e.g. Cisse) who are playing like absolute dogs who couldn't give a stuff, and we are still integrating new players whilst adopting Mclaren's new ideas and methods.

So far NUFC's first 5 games have been 2 draws and 3 loses against teams currently in positions 11th (draw), 8th, 3rd (draw), 4th, and 5th. NUFC finished last season just above the relegation zone, so we need to wait until the team has faced of against more teams in the bottom half of the table.

The big test, I see, is coming up against Watford.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Montey wrote: The big test, I see, is coming up against Watford.
That went well......
Montey

Re: RE: Re: Proud to be a Geordie

Post by Montey »

Johnny X wrote:
Montey wrote: The big test, I see, is coming up against Watford.
That went well......
Yep.... We're pretty fooked!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Six in a row, AND swapped position on the table with goal difference. Oh dear.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Montey

Post by Montey »

This will undoubtedly come off as biased, but I think it has some justification behind it, but....

WE WERE FUCKING ROBBED!!!

Yes, OK, I can accept that a penalty was given; it was a soft penalty, given that those sorts of shoulder challenges occur all the time in general play without a foul awarded (indeed they were occurring all through the game with no fouls awarded). But there is no chance on the face of the planet that the foul was committed to prevent an obvious goal opportunity; THERE IS NO WAY ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET THAT A RED CARD SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN!

The red card was especially criminal when a penalty was not awarded to NUFC for a Cattermole handball 10 minutes prior, and a Cattermole throwing down of Wijnaldum 5 minutes prior in the penalty box as well.

By the end of the game Lee Cattermole had more individual fouls than the entire NUFC team, but NUFC had 1 yellow card and 1 red card whilst SAFC had no cards at all. The overall team vs team foul count was so ridiculously against SAFC and yet they got no treatment from the referee at all.

For most of the match we had 70% possession and SAFC never looked like being in the game until that retard of a referee decided to insert himself in a manner which plainly showed he doesn't know the rules of the game (at least not in the context of "last man" tackles).

Once Collocini was sent off NUFC was chasing the game; we were 1 goal down chasing an equalizer against a team that could batter the crap out of us with no action by the ref whilst also being a man down.

It was an outrageous performance by the referee and every NUFC fan on the planet is absolutely apoplectic!

Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Well, there was a Newcastle hand-ball in the box (nothing like a natural hand position) well before the first goal anyway, so that seems to even out any potential Cattermole one.

I thought the red card was a bit harsh (it wasn't a dead set certainty that he'd have scored) but it should have been a yellow for sure.

As for the foul that lead to the penalty, I can't understand why charging into a player isn't a bookable offense in any event. He should have been booking most of the players on the park. Making contact hip and shoulder is fine, but you have to be playing for the ball. They don't even let you just charge into players in rugby, so how anyone can argue that its allowed in football is beyond me.

Mind you, I'm from Leeds, so I've got my own problems, It's just the rest of the family that are Mackems :rofl:
Montey

Post by Montey »

If he'd been booking everyone for shoulder contact, throughout the game, then fair enough. But he didn't, he booked nobody.... he didn't even give a foul!

But, if football degenerates to the point that shoulder-to-shoulder contact constitutes a bookable offence then football just became a completely non-contact sport and it is dead as a spectacle.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I decided to back an EPL team this year - did not want to pick one of the big 5 so went with Newcastle as they sponsored the Lister in GTR 2 back in the day.
That is going wonderfully so far!
I'm on a real roll - Erebus in the V8s, Essendon in the AFL, the Aussie Cricket team (generally ok but the Ashes....), Oklahoma City in the NBA (some hope there but last season was a disaster), Dallas Cowboys in the NFL, McLaren in F1.
Not a good year.....
XLV SPORT
Montey

Post by Montey »

Jiminee wrote:I decided to back an EPL team this year - did not want to pick one of the big 5 so went with Newcastle as they sponsored the Lister in GTR 2 back in the day.
That is going wonderfully so far!
I'm on a real roll - Erebus in the V8s, Essendon in the AFL, the Aussie Cricket team (generally ok but the Ashes....), Oklahoma City in the NBA (some hope there but last season was a disaster), Dallas Cowboys in the NFL, McLaren in F1.
Not a good year.....

The best suggestion I can make to a new Newcastle United supporter is......

GET OUT!!!! GET OUT NOW!!!!!

It's too late for me, and many others, we're too far gone, but you're young and have so much opportunity to rebuild your life.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Montey wrote:But, if football degenerates to the point that shoulder-to-shoulder contact constitutes a bookable offence then football just became a completely non-contact sport and it is dead as a spectacle.
So long as you are playing the ball....like I said. But you can't just run into players...barge into them and not be playing the ball.. That is stupid, and unfortunately, appears to be condoned in most play these days. But then, diving at the slightest touch should be bookable as well. I'd prefer it if the professional players at the top of the sport, just played the game rather than gamed the play.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

5000 to 1 for Leicester winning the EPL at the start of the season, and Tottenham in second. Who would ever have picked that?! :)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Dare say a few leicester fans will be making some money with those odds

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
Montey

Post by Montey »

In March a guy took an early pay out on a £50 bet for Leicester to win the title, the winner took £72,000 but could have won £250,000.

On the Geordie front.... there hasn't been much to be proud of this season.

But, Rafa Benitez taking over has seen us take 8 points from the last 4 games, including games against Liverpool and ManCity. If we were to continue an average of 2 points per game next year we would finish the season on 76 points which would have us in the mix for the title and certainly going to Europe again. Whilst this may seem preposterous consider that this time last year Leicester were where we are now and that Rafa has achieved this without any changes to our squad.

NUFC just has to stay up (wish, wish, wish) so we can keep Rafa.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They did it. Leicester are EPL champions. A list that cost $22 mill beat some of the biggest names in football :)
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yeah it's an epic win for Leicester. If only I'd put a few quid on at the start of the season. They were 5000-1! :)
My Flickr Stream
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I feel like next season i should put $10 on each team to win the title. Worst case lose a couple hundred best case gain alot? Lol

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Good luck watching EPL next season. Optus is only charging $15 per month to watch it anywhere.

But...

You have to be an Optus user either broadband or mobile and then you pay your $15.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

aaaaaaand they've gone.

Serves them right really. They learnt nothing when they got relegated a couple of years ago. Bad ownership, bad management, bad players.
My Flickr Stream