Proud to be a Geordie

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: Proud to be a Geordie

Post by Johnny X »

Yep, shame for Blackpool :(

It was a cracking last day though. Even though Blackpool went ahead I just had a feeling that they wouldn't make it to the end. At half time it seemed that Wolves were a cert, amazing that they stayed up.

Will be interesting to see how QPR do next season, they aren't short of a bob or two. Hopefully my lot will be pushing to get back in the Prem next season too.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Changing the subject a little but go Barca. I like seeing Man. U beaten. :D
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Just wanted to say 9 games and no losses. Best start to a season in a very, very long time.

Only other teams with no losses and so few goals scored against them are the Manchesters.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Been a decent start for your lot, looks like some of the fears about Pardew may be a little unfounded.

Bit of a crazy day yesterday in Manchester, Sir Alex of Ferguson didn't look too pleased :D Bit of a blip methinks.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yep we seem to have had a good start this season.

I think the top teams will be hard to stay in touch with and there are a lot of teams in the middle that are all pretty similar (win a few lose a few) so we should be safe but it'll be interesting to see if they can keep this pace up and get in to europe next season.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Amazing result in that derby, every team would love to play against Jonny Evans, he's always got an error in him.

Newcastle, such quiet achievers so far though. Will it last, i suspect it won't with Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal behind them. Europa chance? You'd have to say they're in with a shot currently. I hope that with the way they're playing they can strengthen a bit come winter with a couple of decent signings. Love seeing St James Park full.
Montey

Post by Montey »

This is probably a little early..... but fuck I can't get it out of my head (nor the huge grin off my face)......

Tell me ma, me ma, that I won't be home for tea, we're going to Italy, tell me ma, me ma

Oh yeah... lets all laugh at Liverpool.... how's that "top 6 club" working out for ya Jose?
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

What the hell are Wigan on of late?! It saved their bacon. I wish Wolves were in that boat. They were looking ok earlier but for the past 3 months it's all gone to shit :(
Montey

Post by Montey »

Dr. Pain wrote:What the hell are Wigan on of late?! It saved their bacon. I wish Wolves were in that boat. They were looking ok earlier but for the past 3 months it's all gone to shit :(
Wigan appeared to play their best game of the year and caught Newcastle at a time when they simply didn't show up. Hence Newcastle got clobbered.

I think the Toon were way more focused on the mid-week Chelsea game and are now in a bit of a dazzled haze after such a miraculous climb in fortunes. I actually think the Wigan result could be exactly what NUFC needed. Clubs on a winning streak, especially mid-table clubs, tend to come to like the smell of their own shite after a while, so a quick kick in the nuts is a good way to bring the club back to reality.

As far as I am concerned, I don't care if we lose the remaining 3 games. Tell me ma, me ma; I won't be home for tea; We're going to Italy; Tell me ma, me ma!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

If they didn't take Wigan seriously then it's stupid of them. A club in relegation can fire just enough to save their arses. Just wish Wolves had done it :(
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Goal of the year from Cisse? I think so, holy shit.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Both of them were pretty special although I think he said he didn't intend the second one :) But who cares!
My Flickr Stream
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I have a question for the soccer guru's here

Im sitting here watching the UEFA Cup final pondering the EPL and how they dont use a finals system but simply use the home and away roster and whoever has the most points wins. (which I love by the way)

The final round seemed to be awesome with Man C clinching the title in the dying seconds.

Has the EPL ever finished with the last game of the season being played by the top 2 teams where only a win would secure the title?
--------------
Stu
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

That's the first time it's ever been won on goal difference I think.

Usually it's over with a game or two to go. Occasionally it's down to the last one but often only with the top team needing a draw. The relegation battle is sometimes more exciting than the top (but usually cos Man U have won it AGAIN). Seeing some of the bottom teams playing out of their skin for that one desperate point they need usually serves up some great matches. Of course if they hadn't played shit for the previous 35 games they wouldn't be in that position in the first place :D

This year was probably one of the most exciting title races ever though. Maybe second only to Newcastle losing it in 95/96 when they squandered a 12 point lead in as many weeks and lost it to Man U.
My Flickr Stream
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Probably is the first since known as the EPL but there was this....

Arsenal beat Liverpool in 1989 on a goal difference of 1. They played against each other in the final game with Arsenal requiring to win by two or more goals to win the league. Arsenal's second goal came in injury time in that game.

Youtube link to it - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

awesome :D

that would have been a ripper feeling at that game. The highs and lows of soccer right there and its no wonder soccer has hooligans. I am a mild mannered Aussie and even I would want to rip out a lamp post if I was a Liverpool fan. Such a frustratingly exciting game.
--------------
Stu
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

:(

...... Paulo Di Canio.........

:hide:
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Three nil

Three nil

Three nil

Three nil

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Sunderland look the goods to stay up all of a sudden!
Montey

Post by Montey »

I think the Mackems might stay up, but they still have most of the problems they had before.

NUFC suffered form the same problem they have largely had all season.... Europe.

Of course Sunderland doesn't have that problem..... been a while since they have actually.... Can Mackems even get through immigration any more???? Actually, it doesn't matter does it.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Couldn't think where else to put it...

[youtube]JgUevnYJOvI [/youtube]

:faint:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Did you see the Sky reporters version of it :)

[youtube] [/youtube]
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

[youtube] [/youtube]
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

since this is the premier soccer thread:

I noticed Cardiff joins the EPL this year. Havent been in top flight football since the 20's or something like that.

My questions - Will they be like Burnley and disappear after 1 year? and are there other teams from outside England that play in the football structure. I never realised that Cardiff was part of it.

Might go for them this year :D
--------------
Stu
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Welsh teams are a part of it, teams like Swansea, Wrexham and Newport. They have their own league but I don't know much about it. Doesn't seem as popular as the English or Scottish leagues. It's hard to stay in the EPL, hard to keep players as often a smaller budget. That's where the FA Cup is good as the smaller teams can have a moment of glory.