Australia in South Africa

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Jiminee

Australia in South Africa

Post by Jiminee »

Was yesterday’s 2nd innings the worst single innings performance ever by an Australian cricket team? 9 for 21? A team of very highly paid professionals in tough but by no means terrible conditions was 9 for 21?
What would we all be thinking if that was Pakistan instead of Australia? Beginning to wonder to myself if we should look at it any differently? Honestly, about the only reason I am not is that it was SO bad that it was too obvious, A score of 107 or so would of achieved a pretty similar result in the game I think, especially with Hussey dropping a catch on the last ball of the day and plenty of time remaining.
So the other option and one that makes me feel almost as bad – they are just a bunch of spineless, soft cocked, gutless wankers who have no right wearing the baggy green. That pitch was not that bad, that bowling was solid but not Curtley Ambrose at the WACA taking 7/1 level unplayable, it was just terrible, terrible batting.
The Haddin shot must be the single worst shot of an Australian batsman I can ever remember for shot selection, timing and execution. He was not alone though - guys flaying away outside off stump, playing across the line, all once again trying and failing to hit themselves out of trouble. Three times in the last 12 or so tests now they have been knocked over for less than 100, it had not happened since 1984 before this run and I presume ’84 was a rampaging West Indies outfit on a green top somewhere and hence very understandable.
Things were looking up but this points to a leadership problem though Clarke appeared to be doing a much better job on that, but it must be a deep seated cultural team wide problem that can only be fixed by Ponting, HADDIN and Johnson being sent home on the first plane out of SA once they are duly thrashed tomorrow.
XLV SPORT
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Australia in South Africa

Post by norbs »

I was watching it online, well the live commentary, and went to bed when the Boks got knocked over thinking we would set them 350+.

What a fucking debacle. 20/20 is killing the proper game.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

My 2 cents worth..

Fucking hell you blokes are harsh...

A reasonable first innings in very difficult batting conditions...

2nd innings...Bad day by an ordinary team after 20 years at the top of test cricket,

I blame not the players, but management for shit succession planning...

Haddin, yep out of the test side, Paine is a better keeper and as good a batsman, he clearly shagging pup...

Ponting, Not sure we have a replacement yet, that bloke from NSW has had a couple of goes but doesn't appear ready. maybe marsh at 3 is the answer and they find a 5 or 6...

Johnson, not sure we have a replacement that would be any better...he does have that ability to change games in a blink...

And dont forget..SA only made 98...cant believe you say conditions were not that bad..20 wickets for less than 150...clearly its doing a bit...how different it would have been if they made 96 and had to follow on...

Id say we not going that bad and that the teams are closer than you would like to admit...SA has a fair bowling side too..Stain, Morkel, both good bowlers and would be in the top 10 in the test playing world...

Reckon you are being a bit harsh...

Now im off to hide behind the couch...
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

While Ponting and Clarke are still in the side i dont care much for aussie cricket.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

norbs is right.. there is no excuse for the second innings that Aus had.. if pup could clober 150 in the first innings then the pitch cant be that bad.

RIP Australian Cricket
eek
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

I was thinking it was SA Vs Bang
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I think Paine would be in the side but is injured, maybe they dont want to stuff around by bringing in another new face for just a short period of time.
It wasn't the fact they got knocked over so cheaply (and really ANY club team in Australia could of matched 9 for 21) but the way they got out. Those were terrible, terrible cricket shots caused by either a total lack of cricket IQ or total arrogance, neither of which has a place in test cricket. If they had been caught defending in the slips or bowled through the gate trying to keep great delieveries out I would be fine, but so many of those guys, in both innings were out doing not much short of slogging (or actual slogging in Haddin's case) which is just so epically dumb.
And it keeps happening. 3 times out for less than 100 in 2 years and NONE in the 25 years previously. That pretty much says it all about their mental approach to the game. None of them have the balls to dig in and fight through a tough period, they all just try to smash their way out of trouble. Gilchrist doing it at 5 for 90 is one thing, the whole top order doing it at 3, 4, 5 or 6 for less than 50 is just crazy beyond belief.
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jiminee wrote:I think Paine would be in the side but is injured, maybe they dont want to stuff around by bringing in another new face for just a short period of time.
It wasn't the fact they got knocked over so cheaply (and really ANY club team in Australia could of matched 9 for 21) but the way they got out. Those were terrible, terrible cricket shots caused by either a total lack of cricket IQ or total arrogance, neither of which has a place in test cricket. If they had been caught defending in the slips or bowled through the gate trying to keep great delieveries out I would be fine, but so many of those guys, in both innings were out doing not much short of slogging (or actual slogging in Haddin's case) which is just so epically dumb.
And it keeps happening. 3 times out for less than 100 in 2 years and NONE in the 25 years previously. That pretty much says it all about their mental approach to the game. None of them have the balls to dig in and fight through a tough period, they all just try to smash their way out of trouble. Gilchrist doing it at 5 for 90 is one thing, the whole top order doing it at 3, 4, 5 or 6 for less than 50 is just crazy beyond belief.

How I would love to see a Geoff Marsh, David Boon, Alan Border or Stephen Waugh in the same position as these so called best of Australian cricket. Exactly what Jiminee said, they are flailing away trying to blast there way out of trouble. It is fucking stupid. Play with a straight bat, get behind the ball and watch the fucking thing onto the bat. It isn't rocket surgery! :)

Also, SA did get rolled for 90 odd, but or top 9 got rolled for 21! Feck.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

This I can understand, this is great bowling just beating good batsmen.
[youtube] [/youtube]
Only one batsman out attacking - and that was Merv Hughes.

Now contrast that, to this:
[youtube] [/youtube]
XLV SPORT
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

lol.. listening to the Aus V SA... and the DRS calls..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Heard something interesting on the ABC this morrning: Previously Ponting would of gotten away with those LBWs but now with the DRS he is getting stung. Combined with being older and not quite as sharp and he is looking at a rapid decline.
I also find this, taken from a Cricinfo article on Shane Watson highly annoying:

His work ethic is not in question. On Saturday, on what should have been the fourth day of the Test, the Australians scheduled an optional training session back at Newlands. Watson was one of five players who turned up, along with Phillip Hughes, Ricky Ponting, Trent Copeland and Nathan Lyon. Watson was the last man remaining in the nets, facing throwdowns after the others had left.

Really? After a defeat like that no sign of Haddin, Johnson, Clarke or Hussey? Totally and utterly disgusting.

And I may be adding 2 and 2 and getting 7 here, but that result, Peter Roebuck talks to the police and then winds up dead in his hotel room? Nobody is suggesting anything dodgy yet, but it is mighty curious.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/ ... 40275.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XLV SPORT
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Well.. what about the calls that the Aus team or selected people were taking bets like the old days.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Have not heard those Wobbly, but something doesnt feel right about all this.
XLV SPORT
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Of course.. they were just allegations at the time.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I was gob smacked back in the day when Ambrose ripped us a new one. That delivery to Border was a fuckin' pearler :yes:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

I tell you what. i wish they took the speed of every ball bowled back in the walsh,ambrose,bishop days. I reckon those guys would have easily AVERAGED 155km/h easy. probably would have been a few 160+ balls in there too.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

So SA lose 6 for 25 to be all out or 266...well bowled Oz ...wonder how we will bat?
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Lots of irrational collapses this series - a sign of not enough test cricket being played I reckon.
SA just did 6/25 as you said, Australia did 9/21 (which I still cant believe) and SA did 9 for 50 or so in their first innings in the first test - weird - I haven't watched but no one is saying the bowling has been that great.
XLV SPORT
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Aussie 0 for 169 from the first session, two and a half hours, 33 overs...solid start...
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

WD Aussies...gritty win against quality opposition in their own dung hill!
norbs

Post by norbs »

It was bloody exiting too. I thought they were home when Hussey and Haddin were trucking along, but when they went I was worried.

As Jim Maxwell said, they made a record 4th innings score last time they were there, so there was no reason that couldnt do it again.

Hell of a game from Paceman Pat. I wonder if Ponting and Haddin have done enough to retain their spots. Both sounded like they batted well in the second dig, although I was drifting in and out of sleep listening to it.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I'm paying for it today but stayed up and listened, was great fun. Felt really old school, cricket on the radio, late at night - classic.
Of course I needed a computer and wireless internet to listen in, but the spirit was there!
In some ways a shame that the 'deadwood' Ponting, Haddin and Johnson were the key contributors though as they will now be kept around rather than replaced. Would be a perfect time to blood even more new guys to with a pretty soft series against NZ on the cards.
XLV SPORT