2012 - 2013 Summer of Cricket

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Dr. Pain

Re: 2012 - 2013 Summer of Cricket

Post by Dr. Pain »

Pollard pulled down a couple of blinders on the rope. The first catch was the best. :)
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Am at the ground today. Pollard's catches were awesome. Other side of the field from me though. Pity Australia didn't really push on in the final 10 overs. Windies finding their feet now. Hopefully should be a close one!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah that first catch was amazing.

Was just about to comment on how well the windies are going then Thomas spooned it. Still I think they are going to get close to the 330.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Aussies 6/131...middle order fails again...time to bring back Punter! :)
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Hazelb wrote:Aussies 6/131...middle order fails again...time to bring back Punter! :)
oh yeah, we might need to find another spinner...
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Disgraceful effort by the Aussies...Ill say it again, Hughes 9 and 0, Watson 23 and 9, Warner 6 and 26, Cowan 4 and 44, Moses...5 and 0, I cant believe that there is no room in this side for an experience player like Ponting...WIth those sort of scores, he would be out performing them!
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah, looks pretty grim for the Ashes.. Remember the poms beat India in India just a couple months ago :(
eek
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Hazelb wrote:Disgraceful effort by the Aussies...Ill say it again, Hughes 9 and 0, Watson 23 and 9, Warner 6 and 26, Cowan 4 and 44, Moses...5 and 0, I cant believe that there is no room in this side for an experience player like Ponting...WIth those sort of scores, he would be out performing them!
Why not bring back Taylor or Border as well? They would out do the current crop.

Ponting is where he should be, not playing for Australia.

We just have to face facts, the current crop aren't as good as the previous lot. Easy as that.

Good thing is, Im $50 up! :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

norbs wrote:Good thing is, Im $50 up! :)
You found a sucker to back Australia..? Well done.. I wouldn't back them for the next test even if they were at 100-1!
eek
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

pixelboy wrote:
You found a sucker to back Australia..? Well done.. I wouldn't back them for the next test even if they were at 100-1!
I agree, well done on the $50 bucks...and if the current crop arent as good, why get him to "move on" in the first place!
norbs

Post by norbs »

Hazelb wrote:
pixelboy wrote:
I agree, well done on the $50 bucks...and if the current crop arent as good, why get him to "move on" in the first place!

Hang on, according to those of you from Vagina Island, he will never be bettered! :)

Moses scored 150 odd in the first test, both innings combined. I reckon he might be worth another look.

Warner and Hughes. Hmm, not sure about them. I'm no fan of Watson's so no use me commenting on him.

We just don't have the cattle. It happens.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

norbs wrote: Hang on, according to those of you from Vagina Island, he will never be bettered! :)

Moses scored 150 odd in the first test, both innings combined. I reckon he might be worth another look.

Warner and Hughes. Hmm, not sure about them. I'm no fan of Watson's so no use me commenting on him.

We just don't have the cattle. It happens.
Pontings equal will not be found in this squad. I fully agree he should have retired before the latest summer started though. I thought Kwalja was to be the next Ponting when I first saw him play. In fact I could see him being the next skipper. I thought he was that good.

Moses, in my mind, delivered what we want/need out of Watson. Fuck opening, fuck slip fielding. Bowl 2nd string and hold your own with the bat. Neither of them will be the next Kallis but if you can come in to bat after Tim Paine and hold firm, that will do and Watson doesnt want to do it. Yes Wade can fuck off too.

Warner, love him and his style. Doesnt work at this level. Hughes can go bye bye. Where is Brad Hodge when you need him? oh thats right, he is like Gillespe. Dropped after scoring a double ton. We simply do not have a decent #3

Cattle?? are they mundane beings who simply do what they are told if given a prod? Then yep we need some. What we have are a group of players who think they are better than the baggy green they longed for as a kid.
--------------
Stu
norbs

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote: Pontings equal will not be found in this squad. I fully agree he should have retired before the latest summer started though. I thought Kwalja was to be the next Ponting when I first saw him play. In fact I could see him being the next skipper. I thought he was that good.

Moses, in my mind, delivered what we want/need out of Watson. Fuck opening, fuck slip fielding. Bowl 2nd string and hold your own with the bat. Neither of them will be the next Kallis but if you can come in to bat after Tim Paine and hold firm, that will do and Watson doesnt want to do it. Yes Wade can fuck off too.

Warner, love him and his style. Doesnt work at this level. Hughes can go bye bye. Where is Brad Hodge when you need him? oh thats right, he is like Gillespe. Dropped after scoring a double ton. We simply do not have a decent #3

Cattle?? are they mundane beings who simply do what they are told if given a prod? Then yep we need some. What we have are a group of players who think they are better than the baggy green they longed for as a kid.

Clarke may go close if he has a few years like last year. I know who I would rather have batting for my life.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They went through us like a curry. Our top 3 just isn't working. Watson should be bowling and batting just before Wade, if not, bye bye. We seem obsessed with an all rounder but so few come along.
norbs

Post by norbs »

So now you can be dropped for not filling out forms.

This is why we are going downhill fast. Too much "new age" shit and not enough backbone. That fucking metrosexual Clarke is to blame. More concerned with his tattoos and getting in womens magazines than rallying the troops. No wonder Katich wanted to rip his throat out. Fuck the South African coach off, get someone like Boof Lehman in and get the side back playing cricket, not filling out personal analysis forms. What fucking bull shit!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Wow, a coach so bereft of ideas he has to ask the players to do his job then sideline them when they don't. Amazing.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I say fuck off Mickey Arthur and throw a lot of money at Allan Border to coach because at least he's got the balls for it!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

How's Watson's tanty? lol

Sounds like a few people have become a bit big for their boots so are being taught a lesson. It's not like we're going to win over there anyway.

I agree on the coach, get someone from the golden years of cricket with a hard edge to whip them into shape and let them know how it's done. I feel like our amazing sides of years gone by have made our current crop a little entitled and precious.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They are princesses and Watson leads that pack. They need a no bullshit coach someone who doesn't send them off to write down points of improvement but just comes out and offers some tough love and then says "we'll do it this way..."
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

This comment sums up what I think of Watson's tantrum: "This smacks to me of a leadership team that has lost the dressing room - otherwise why impose such a draconian punishment."

Should mention I have no issues what so ever with Watson getting dumped from the side, he wasn't pulling his weight, end of story. What I do have a problem with is that we are not game enough to try anyone different and when we do, we have the others throwing their arms up like it's their god given right to be in the side so it almost seems that our side becomes a compromise. Bring on a new coach...
norbs

Post by norbs »

David Warner did his homework...

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I actually think what they are doing has value.. They are getting spanked, we have ashes coming up and they need a shake up..

If a player can't spend a couple of hours working out what their value is and how they can improve then they should be sent home.

I ask the same from my staff and they are getting paid a lot less than these boys.
John Buchanan used to ask the same questions back in the hey days and no one questioned his motives.

Hopefully we can get some kids into the team that are prepared to do some mental work alongside the physical.

Cya Watson, shame it didn't work out, you could of gone down as one of the greats.

One thing that worries me is that players these days won't put in the long term effort required for test cricket. Teams get together for T20/IPL the day before and just do it.. Test cricket requires more discipline than that. I fear that these Gen Y kids cashed up from IPL simply won't bother.. Look at Malinga..
eek
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

It's not that some don't put in the long term effort, it's that some can't whether it be injury or unusual dismissal from the side. We change up the team too frequently rather than build it up in my opinion. I think there are a few in that squad that genuinely deserve to be there with potential but might be a while before results can be gained.

Regarding this whole written argument, I believe that they should know exactly what their value is to the team and they should know how to improve themselves wherever needed. I think that is something that is very crucial to a player and should've been taught to them right from the beginning however... The whole homework/written thing demonstrates a few things to me, that not only do the players not know what their value is or how to improve themselves, it shows that one, there is an issue with discipline with some players and two, there is a serious communication breakdown within the squad where mouths are closed and there is a lack of positive nature. The fact we are resorting to business management style tactics for an Australian side proves that we've got a lost handle on the current generation of players and treating them like school boys as the only way they can be solved.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for this new style of management but it shows that our squad has a lot of issues within itself. This all seems like patchwork when really we should be paying more attention to the potential rather than trying to get a result right now. I'm glad we're getting it handed to us for India to shake us up but I think the current scenario is getting worse for the long term. Most teams normally pick up after an average season such as this but this is spiraling a bit out of control. I really think they need to go over the Argus report again and look into the options there.

Also should mention, I really wish we would stop looking for Australia's next all rounder or our next Warne, Ponting, Gilchrist, insert any great player here but take players for who they are and harness something new.