2012 - 2013 Summer of Cricket

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Bauer

2012 - 2013 Summer of Cricket

Post by Bauer »

Thought I'd kick of the thread as I just noticed that our 1 day series against the poms next week is being televised on GEM. Awesome stuff, WD Ch9 :up: I wasnt expecting to see any of it on TV. Maybe I am getting used to being disappointed by OneHD and forget that other networks may well be trying to please viewers.

I also noticed that Mitch and Ricky got an ACB contract where as Ed Cowan missed out. WTF is up with that? I am a lover of Ricky so if I am bemused by the decision I can only imagine the Ponting haters thoughts. Lets dump him from the one day squad but give him a contract for test cricket only seeing as he retired himself from T20 some years ago. And why the fuck are we still looking after Mitch when our bowling stocks are looking good.
--------------
Stu
Jiminee

Re: 2012 - 2013 Summer of Cricket

Post by Jiminee »

I do not think it was that simple Bauer with the contracts. I recall reading somewhere if you played 6 Test matches last season you got a contract for this one, so Ponting, Hayden etc get automatic contracts while Ed, who only played 3 or 4 Tests misses out. That does not necessarily make it right, but those were the terms the players hammered out with CA.
Also, this may seem crazy but our cricketers get ripped off I reckon, no wonder there was talk of striking. Most high level pro sports players get around 50% of the total income as payment, while the Aussie cricketers get around 26%. Now if this is just the 17 players on the main contracts, then fair enough, but if that is for everyone, major bad deal!
As for Mitch, well maybe the thinking is the injury was what was causing his issues and given his effectiveness in the One Dayers at times he is worth a punt once his foot comes good?

ps - MS Dhoni is on about 23 mill a year with 20 mill in endorsements but that is serious, Kobe Bryant level cash and gives some indication of how much money there is around Indian cricket. For comparison, Pup is looking at around 3 mill in payment from CA next season and at a guess between 500k and 1 mill in endorsements.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Well we got one T20 cup with the girls. Well done :)
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Just went ahead and booked a ticket to my first ODI! Have been to tests and PM's XI before but they're actually holding a one dayer at Manuka Oval in Feb next year vs the Windies. Only 5 minutes walk from my work w00t.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

So the test team is almost locked in. Just need to decide between Hilfy and Starc.

Do we go for an older right arm bowler who can send them down all day ( playing second Siddle) or do we go for an in form left arm quick?

Is it that hard. Surely variety in your bowling attack can only be a good thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
--------------
Stu
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote:So the test team is almost locked in. Just need to decide between Hilfy and Starc.

Do we go for an older right arm bowler who can send them down all day ( playing second Siddle) or do we go for an in form left arm quick?

Is it that hard. Surely variety in your bowling attack can only be a good thing.

Nice.

And yes, variety please. I see the crusty old cock from Hobart is in the news telling everyone he is over his technical issues. The same ones he denied having last year!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Went to see the ACT vs NSW ladies match a few weeks ago in Blacktown. Don't those all add up to sound like a great weekend out?

But, we took several mates, an esky full of booze (no security or any real staff at these games), sat on the hill and yelled abuse (and wrote hilarious signs) and got hammered. It was excellent fun :)

One of the ACT players plays hockey with the missus and her GF plays for NSW (cpt) and Australia. She took a screamer in that T20 final and then dropped a sitter :)
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Bauer wrote:So the test team is almost locked in. Just need to decide between Hilfy and Starc.

If Watson was playing I could see them going with Starc as Watto provides a nice security blanket, but without him I predict them taking the safe option and going with Hilfy.
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

Well, that is a good start. Put them in on a pitch with a bit of green on it and hope you knock them over before lunch.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

They won the toss and batted on a flat deck didnt they?
--------------
Stu
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Yes, South Africa won the toss.
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote:They won the toss and batted on a flat deck didnt they?
I heard that Clarke had sent them in. I didnt see any of the TV coverage, so not sure, but I was sure they said on the radio that Australia won the toss.

Checking cricinfo now...

Yep, you're right Stud. I will right to ABC Grandstand promptly. :)

Reading the report on Cricinfo doesn't sound good. You really don't want Kallis getting any confidence.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Either way, we are fucked. Just read that Duminy could be gone for 6 months so are effectively 3 down so that helps. Poor bugger did an Achilles during the cool down.

--------------
Stu
norbs

Post by norbs »

Just been chatting to a cricketing tragic mate of mine. He pissed himself laughing when I said the SA #4 batsman was a better bowler than what we had left, combined! Then a few seconds later said, "Fuck norbs, you might be right!" :D

Edit : Just crunched some numbers.

Test Wickets
Hilfy 92, Siddle 117, Pattison 26 and Lyon 42 for a total of 277
Kallis 280.

:D
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Vilante wrote:Went to see the ACT vs NSW ladies match a few weeks ago in Blacktown. Don't those all add up to sound like a great weekend out?

But, we took several mates, an esky full of booze (no security or any real staff at these games), sat on the hill and yelled abuse (and wrote hilarious signs) and got hammered. It was excellent fun :)

One of the ACT players plays hockey with the missus and her GF plays for NSW (cpt) and Australia. She took a screamer in that T20 final and then dropped a sitter :)
exactly the way cricket should be watched... :aussie:
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

So....Ponting seems to have solved his recent technical deficiencies...
:teach:
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

VTRacing wrote:So....Ponting seems to have solved his recent technical deficiencies...
No defending him from me. That was shit. Hilfy was shit too.

--------------
Stu
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

An ordinary effort from the Aussies but you have to respect the protiers batting line up. It's the best in the world and was always going to be difficult to bowl to.
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

Fuck that rusted on tool off.

Who knows who I mean. Could be a few of them :)

Ponting, you can fuck off.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Excellent fight back by Captain Glamour and Cowan.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I see your great love for Ponting is on display again this season Norbs. :rofl:
norbs

Post by norbs »

Dr. Pain wrote:I see your great love for Ponting is on display again this season Norbs. :rofl:

Yep, he fucking shits me. Only slightly more than the roads that they roll out for Test match wickets these days.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

That was a result wicket if the match had run its course. The first 3 days of play just saw some very uninspiring, below par bowling, poor execution (no balls, dropped catches) and top quality batting.
And all this bullshit about introducing a fudge factor into calling no balls and bring back the back foot all, for fuck sake, they are full time professionals, get your fucking foot behind the line. Tennis players manage it, basketballers manage it, just learn the fucking rules or accept the consequences of breaking them. If an inch closer to the batsman makes no difference to the result as Tubby and Chappelli kept rattling on about, then an inch back the other way surely doesn't either.
More often than not bowlers bowl too short even stretching the law to its limits so land your toe on the line and let go of the ball a fraction earlier and remove the issue from the equation - shoot the hostage in the words of the great Keanu Reeves.
It is just a stupid non-issue, no other sport would accept anything as crazy. Michael Holding figured it out and he was nick named Whispering Death, so it did not seem to affect his speed, accuracy or intimidation so Mr Pattinson and Mr Siddle can learn a fucking lesson 30+ years in the making.
Fucking Tubby waffling on about it now being so hard to get batsman out, has he not seen a Shield game this year? Less than 12 months ago these same wankers were going on saying that the pitches were making it too easy for bowlers - stop trying to fucking control everything you dumb bastards. Not every little fucking thing needs a 'solution' Stop tampering with everything, just let it be for a match or two and hope that the highly paid and trained professionals can learn a fucking lesson and improve things themselves. That is the beauty of Test cricket, it ebbs and flows, momentum swings, different players are on top match to match, day to day, session to session, just let them play.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They need pitches that start off green for the first session then turn nice for 2 days, then they start to get grumpy, then turn Germaine Greer on day 5 and fucking hate the world!
norbs

Post by norbs »

Dr. Pain wrote:They need pitches that start off green for the first session then turn nice for 2 days, then they start to get grumpy, then turn Germaine Greer on day 5 and fucking hate the world!

100 points for that man!