Indoor Cricket

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Montey

Indoor Cricket

Post by Montey »

So some mates of mine conned me in to filling in for a missing player during one of their indoor cricket games.

Apparently, for a guy who hasn't played organised sport in 15 or so years and never played competitive cricket, I did ok. Economy rate of 4.5 and only went out once.

Despite the fact that I was just about dead after my batting innings it seems they may ask me back again. As it was I had to rush out and buy a set of runners 90 minutes before the game started, since I may now get more regularly called up I am thinking it might be best to get a little more equipment.

Does anyone here have any decent amount of experience to provide some guidance?

At present I am looking at the following shopping list:

1 x Cricket Bat
- I found that my biggest problem batting was bat speed. I am assuming that in the short term the best way to address this is to get a lighter bat. Does anyone have an opinion on this bat, which goes down to 2/0oz? http://kdsport.com.au/indoor-cricket/in ... clone.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1 x Protector
- I assume any old one would do here. Something like this http://kdsport.com.au/indoor-cricket/gr ... urved.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I did see somewhere they even have shorts with an appropriate pocket.

1 x Pair of Knee Pads
- I haven't looked in to these, but I'd like something that comes on as more of a pull over (like a sock gets pulled on) that is thin and light weight that I can wear under tracksuit pants. I concluded I needed this when I gave myself a huge grazing after diving for a catch on fake turf.

Anyone have any (useful) thoughts?
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Quincy

Re: Indoor Cricket

Post by Quincy »

Montey wrote:
no.
balls & boobs. . .
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Quincy wrote:
Montey wrote:
no.
:rofl: i was thinking the same thing... he must have thought he was logging into V8central... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Montey wrote: 1 x Protector
- I assume any old one would do here. Something like this http://kdsport.com.au/indoor-cricket/gr ... urved.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I did see somewhere they even have shorts with an appropriate pocket.
http://kdsport.com.au/clothing/sports-s ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't buy just any old bat off the net even if it is cheap. Go into a store and try them!
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Pads, indoor cricket, your soft :) ...I played for 10 years, no pads needed in my opinion...protector, simple anyone, bat what eer your comfortable with...
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

wanna see soft, check the footy scores :D oh hang on, I just looked up tanking. Doesnt mean soft afterall :D

I reckon knee pads are a must have for indoor cricket :up:
--------------
Stu
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

No need for knee pads. Just a pair of trackies
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I would go for 2 boxes! I had some fucker let go of the bat one night and I copped it fair in the plums! I damn near threw up. Given my tiny manberries, it was a fucking top shot.

I played 3 years and never wore pads. Tampons, some times.

I loved the game, but bloody hell it was intense at times.

Good on you for having a go Montey.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Keep it simple with the batting, just a nudge into the ground and the side net for the simple three each time, adds up in a big hurry.
I had problems with my fingers playing indoor, especially fielding, just kept getting stung on the same finger so it never properly healed but never actually damaged it enough to stop playing.
XLV SPORT
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

No pads just long pants (easy to run in though).
Batting gloves (some people dont like to wear them but i played outdoor for 8 years and not wearing gloves feels wrong).
With the bat... something made of English willow is the only way to go. Definately go to rebel or amart all sports and try as many as you can out. Indoor cricket does not require a bat with much thickness at all considering the biggest hit you ever need to make is about 25 metres.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

Played Indoor Cricket for a few years during the junior years. Some tips if you like:

Bat: get something that's comfy. The Indoor bats are fine, but I thought they were over rated. Because they're thinner/lighter, when you want to punish the bad stuff, you have to give a decent push for it to go anywhere. Even as a 14yo, I had a Gray Nichols Powerspot.
Batting Gloves: get the outdoor ones with heaps of padding on the knuckles. Don't be satisfied with the cloth ones. They're shit.
Protector: a MUST have. I used mine when fielding as well (I was always the next closest fielder after the wicket keeper - took it out for when I bowled). You'll need it. And just on this, wear 2 pairs of jocks or a pair of tighty shorts so there's no "surprise" when you put on a cold protector. Plus it'll never get sweaty.
Shin Pads: A couple of guys used to use them. I never did because sometimes when they hit them, it sounds like it come from your bat and a lazy umpire might call that out if you get caught. Plus some of them are uncomfortable. UP to you and depends on how good you are with the bat. Just man up and make sure you hit the ball.
Runners: You might want to make sure they're good at stopping and fit really well. If you need to turn on a dime or run hard, they'll need to be done up tight. Sometimes I used to wear boots, one of the things that comes up everyone now and then in Indoor Cricket is rolled ankles. And that farkin' hurts too.

Batting. I was pretty shit when it come to playing stuff off my legs. If they still run the same rules, I used to take guard off leg stump, so that anything that was aiming for my legs was pretty much going to be a wide. If I could see that it was middle or off, I stepped into the shot and like what someone else said - make sure it goes into the ground. The safest shot you can play is the block shot, even if you aim it straight back up the pitch. You can then run along behind the ball and if they try to jump in/knock you over to get the ball, you can appeal interference.

Bowling. It's better to be accurate than fast. Sure speeds blinds and bluffs the batter most of the time, but if it's outside off stump - it's gonna go back over your head pretty quickly. If you work out how to swing or bounce it off the seam - power to you.

Fielding. I always watched the bowler run in. When they got near the crease I would then turn and focus on the bat. If I was close in fielder I would be up on the balls of my feet ready to react with my hands in a catching position. If I was further back, I was crouched (like a wicket keeper), but more relaxed than in close. Your reflexes get an absolute caning.
Also with fielding, sometimes with being in close, a well aimed under arm throw is quicker (and sometimes more accurate) than an over arm throw. But if it has to go to the other end, overarm it and bounce it comfortably in front of the receiver (or aim at their guts - the most padded part of the body, plus the most comfortable area to catch the ball).

Above all - enjoy it. It keeps you fit. I always looked forward to playing it and regret that I gave it away many moons ago.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Ah I miss indoor cricket. Loved it. Might try and get back in to it.