America's Cup

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
J.D.
Rat

Re: America's Cup

Post by J.D. »

Wobbler: generally speaking, yes. You can guarantee that Oracle would have put up the protest flag/light. All judging is done on the water these days so it would have been decided on the spot. Looks pretty clear cut to me - Oracle had to take avoiding action - but it depends where they were in the start sequence I suppose. Start rules are different from race rules to some extent, though I'm not sure why it was dismissed. Maybe because it was deemed that ETNZ didn't gain any advantage from it.

The funny thing was the outrage from American YouTubers who clearly don't understand how yacht racing works. All these high and mighty people demanding New Zealand apologise immediately... ho hum. If there had been any cause for redress it would have been taken up by the judges.

Doc: that's why the New York Yacht Club is so infamous. They held the deed of gift and they made the rules. These days the world watches on and the leeway for outright cheating just isn't there anymore. 1983 was the first year the races were conducted using IYRU (now ISAF) rules and look what happened! There is still home water advantage but not like there was.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Dr. Pain wrote:It' seems to been a real push to make it a spectator sport so you want fast exciting craft.
Not necessarily.

Earlier in this thread we discussed this in terms of the women's match racing regatta at the last Olympics. The tightness of that competition more than made up for the fact that the highest speed we saw only 12 knots. It was a bruising knock-down-drag-out fight-to-the-bitter-end that hasn't been seen in the public arena for decades. I don't think many people thought it was boring, at least not those who voiced their opinions to me. Not all of them were sailors either.

Someone pointed out that, yes, faster is usually better but not always. The lack of really close racing in this America's Cup meant that the spectacle of catamarans doing 40 knots became more prominent.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

That woman's race was great to watch close all the way to the finish line.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Something tells me there's more to this than meets the eye:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sailing/24315701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most foiling systems are automatic already. I'm not sure how it would or could have been implemented on an AC72 but I can't think of any reason why not. Without knowing the class rules, I couldn't make any comment as to its legitimacy.

It's also worth pointing out that the America's Cup is always going to be under the threat of court room battles. The AC72 class really only arose after the 2010 series almost ended in huge financial penalties. In the end they were ordered by a judge to race by a certain date or face the consequences. Once the series had been run, the committee set about making a formula which would work. A lot of things changed as a result, mainly for the better. Putting Iain Murray in charge was a good start.

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Let's see how far this goes:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-0 ... up/4990476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

It is the same as in F1 and some other things, people push the boundary as far as they think they can go with in the rules.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I'm just talking about the challenge. We don't know what boats they will be racing in yet.

The challenge has been accepted. That's the easy bit.

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Here's the hard bit:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-19/a ... ge/5609320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

It's funny... If it's in San Fran or San Diego then I'm going, but if it's Bermuda, no chance. I was in San Fran just after the last one, it still had an awesome feel to it, especially when you saw where the course was... But a bit sad you could not go and look at the trophy... It's not in the main club on the wharf, there was a bit of politics, it's somewhere up in the hills, and no cab driver really knew where it was...

Hope they sort it soon so I can start planning... If there is no team aus, I am sure the kiwis will do it. They find a way...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Looks like it will be San Diego at this stage. Don't know why they changed it. San Francisco was the best venue they've ever had for the America's Cup.

The whole Hamilton Island YC challenge thing had a strange feel to it.I don't know what the issues were. Anyone else got any clues?

bengatta

Post by bengatta »

J.D. wrote:Looks like it will be San Diego at this stage. Don't know why they changed it. San Francisco was the best venue they've ever had for the America's Cup.

The whole Hamilton Island YC challenge thing had a strange feel to it.I don't know what the issues were. Anyone else got any clues?
As a quick guess, they realised a couple of Aussies who own an island and a wine brand can't compete against some Silicon Valley billionaires.... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Next America's Cup has been moved to Bermuda.

Meanwhile...Bloody hell!

http://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/matt ... tart-63197

bengatta

Post by bengatta »

Yeah, sadly the Bermuda thing was announced a few months back, I had a quick check, but logistically it seems too much effort for the potential environment. Reading the rules on what you can take to get there on the potential tour operator sites, it just seems too hard... Even for the teams it sounds like a waste of time.

I will be in San diego in a few months by the looks, so it would be interesting to see where it was proposed to be held... The attraction of going was not so much the sailing, it was the fact that when I was in San Fran a couple of years ago they were still tidying up from the previous event. And the realisation of where it was held in proximity to one of the world best glamour cities just struck me that it must have been a pretty amazing atmosphere, and that I wanted to see. Assuming it was going to be back there again...

For those who have been to San Fran it was based in the pier district, which for sydney siders would be like racing in circular quay. Not in size (the pier districts is bigger), but proximity to the CBD... Which meant the crowd was both die hard enthusiasts and massive amounts of casual spectators who became fans during the regatta... People in the banking district could literally walk over the road at lunch time each day during the races...

I remember thinking there is no more perfect place to have this thing... I assumed it would be back there (which insane lunatic would move it from here I thought) so I started planning on making the effort.

Bermuda will be die hard fans only who will make the effort... Shame really, because like all sports, the top end of town drives the popularity of the grass roots. I have no doubt that the event in SF created a peak in interest in junior sailing, probably meaning we will endure many years of American Olympic gold medalists starting in a few games time...

As to the story for the 48's I find it fascinating and very americas cup ish... Nothing like a last minute change of regs that provides the hosts with an advantage... That's one of the benefits of being the host... I laughed at some of the comments of it being very unsportsmanlike behaviour... I am not sure sportsmanship has ever been part of americas cup racing. It's the skullduggery that has made it what it is... An almost impossible challenge... Which is another element why I love it... If it were easy, there would be zero general interest...

Hopefully foxtel show the races again otherwise there will be very little interest in it... Which would be a shame.

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Last series was well provided for on YouTube...for those of us who don't like putting money in Citizen Murdoch's pocket.

I don't get why they left San Francisco either. Surely there's no better place in the world for it, especially when the host is the Golden Gate Yacht Club. The only other really exciting place it's ever been held is Gage Roads in 1987 and that was a combination of boat and conditions we had never seen before but the viewing wasn't so good.

As for advantages to the hosts, well, I can't see it being that much different from the last one. They will still have to wait until the finals before they really know the performance of their own boat compared with the challengers. Sure, they can plot the speeds and conditions and extrapolate those values to the data from their own boat but they still have to race against the winner of a long series. The difference this time is that, with the 48s, I expect there will be more than one defender and that they will at least have the advantage of some racing before they start doing it for sheep stations.

Don't forget, the Golden Gate Yacht Club almost got whitewashed in that series. Were it not for the wind dying in race 13, we'd be talking about Auckland again.

A workmate of mine is a San Diego native and it was his thinking that they would do it between the airport and the big bridge over San Diego Bay. Further south of the bridge is not so nice. I thought it would be too narrow at the city end. The narrowest part is only 500 metres. For a boat doing 40 knots with no brakes, that's not a lot of room to play with, especially when you wouldn't have the whole 500 metres to play with in the first place.